Here's how much 49,000 LEDs saves off your electric bill

Wow, I'm very ecstatic. I finally got my final FPL electric bill for December 2007. Everyone including the news people asked me how much my bill would go up with 49,000 LEDs. MyBill for December, 2007was only $281. Compare that to August, 2007, our hottest month, my bill was $351.

I had told everyone my bill for December would go up maybe an estimated $100, but it only increased $42 over November.

Here's a comparison of the number of KWH my Christmas display consumed in 2007 compared to 2006.

49,000 lights 100% LEDs 2007:

In 2007 below, you can see I almost doubled the number of lights, but now they are 100% LED, and my December electric bill was only $42 more than my November bill.

Ending on 12/21/2007:

31 days

2290 KWH

$287.17

Now compare to November:

Ending on 11/20/2007

29 days

1973 KWH

$245.06

Let's go take a look back at 2006 to see how much we saved year over year:

26,000 lights 50% LED 2006:

12/21/2006

31 days

2902 KWH

$384.12

11/20/2006

31 days

2246 KWH

$293.52

Summary: You can see that in 2006 while I was still using some rope lights and other incandescent lighting, I used up 2902 KWH. So the 100% LED setup in 2007 saved over 600 KWH compared to 2006. Just think if you are using say, 50,000 conventional lights, how many KWH you would be using.

LEDs will take many years to pay for themselves, but at least I'm reducing my carbon footprint, and our reliance on fuel. Just check your electric bill to see what portion of your bill is the fuel surcharge. On my bill,it's 50%.

The fact that we are animating all our lights with Light-O-Rama helped a lot too, because at any given time, half the lights are on, and half the lights are off.

post-2688-129571028064_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I was completely animated, using many of the same songs as last year.

The fact that we are animating them helped a lot too, because at any given time, half the lights are on, and half the lights are off.

The huge difference was the rope light fixtures I used in 2006 an earlier, and finally sold them all on eBay in 2007. Just one of the 10" rope light presents from Target draws 1.5 amps! A flood light draws 1 A!. All that current hogging adds up real quick. You'll find out real quick how few rope light fixtures you can use on one circuit before you trip the fuse. That is why in 2007 I only used LED rope light fixtures, and switched all my floods over to LED.

See this photo below from 2006. Those 5 small rope light presents were drawing 6 amps, which was more than my entire LED mega tree was consuming!

post-2688-129571028068_thumb.jpg

Jeff, I am curious what your rough cost was to switch over to the 49,000 LED lights. Did you purchase that many lights all in one batch or year or over a period of time.

I too would like to make the switch over to LED's but find the cost prohibitive in doing so all at once. Any ideas or suggestions on how to make the transition less painful?

JED wrote:

Jeff I have read all of your posts this year and feel I must say something.

Why is it that you call your own display awesome, cool, fantastic?

A month ago you had 47,000 awesome LED lights now it is 49,000 so which is it?

Is there something special about you having all LED lights when others who have all LED lights do not use the words you use.

I am sorry but have read all your posts and many others since joining and can honestly say that all I have learned from you is self promotion.

JED Give him a break. Hese happy that his electric bill was so much cheeper this year then last! Please go checkout the rules and re-read them many many times because you just broke the POSITIVE part in the rules. or better yet, ill do you a favor and bring the rules to you. Positive, family friendly and Christmas centric

That was extremely rude, and i believe Jeff deserves an apology

BTW Jeff i envy your display its amazing how much work you put into it. and thats why its one of the top links on my Favorites. =p

Jdwagner888 wrote:

JED Give him a break. Hese happy that his electric bill was so much cheeper this year then last! Please go checkout the rules and re-read them many many times because you just broke the POSITIVE part in the rules. or better yet, ill do you a favor and bring the rules to you. Positive, family friendly and Christmas centric

That was extremely rude, and i believe Jeff deserves an apology

I agree 100%. You took the words right out of my mouth.

It doesn't take much tech savvy to deduce why it was 47,000 LEDs a month ago and 49,000 LEDs at the end. I was still adding lights!:waycool:

In fact when the news guys interviewed me on 12/16, I think I only had 43,000 lights. On 12/1 I was only at 41,000 lights. After Christmas sales, I added a few thousand more. That's how I arrived at 49,000 lights.

If anyone has a problem with my enthusiastic writing style, you can just ignore my threads. No one forced you to come in here. SO... whenever you see my username on a thread, just ignore it, and move onto the next one. Your stay here will be much happier!

JED wrote:

Is there something special about you having all LED lights when others who have all LED lights do not use the words you use.

I am sorry but have read all your posts and many others since joining and can honestly say that all I have learned from you is self promotion.

JED - that was real bad. This is a place to share your experience and knowledge with others. Jeff has done a great job at that with his display and his website. As well as sharing with the community is helping raise money for great charity.

In the future you may find that you will not get the assistance that others get with comments like that. If I had half the display that Jeff did, (total newbie here with 0 channels currently)I wouldtoot my own hornas well.

Jeff - I know the area personally where you live and for what you have done in such a small space is fantastic. I hope I can get down there this season to see it in person. You have really done a great job.

Keep doing it ...

Out of 55-thousand incandescent lights, my total bill was 146.58. I'm 100% animated and run four colors. Turned them on the Friday after Thanksgiving, turned them off New Year's night. How much was that attributed to lights, about 45-50 dollars. LED's look great but incandescents seem to be working for me for a fraction of the cost.

Ok guys, give Jed a break, he's a newbie, let stay on course here.

I think the key factor to the power savings is the fact that thelights are animated.

If I had to estimate the total LED cost, let's loosely try these formulas.

49,000 /100 = 490 set of 100 lights. Most of them are 50's but let's go with easier numbers.

490 x $12 average = $5880. Spread out over 2 years.

The Lord had blessed me greatly in 2007. In fact the day after xmas at the Target sale, I noticed how empty Target and Wal-Mart were. I came home and as soon as the stock market opened I bought a ton of put options on Target, where you make money if it goes down. Sold out of it the next day with $8k profit, so that took care of all 2007 and now I'm ready for Paul’s LED group buy

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum12/20705.html

buy which expires on 2/6. Some people have asked where's the best place to buy lots of LEDS. That's wher eyou go, copper wire is exected to increase quite a bit this year so get in on his discount.

I dont think ive ever seen jeff brag except when showing off videos in the toot your horn section. But thats what the section is for! if you look i bet 90%of the posts here are people showing off their display. Everyone has there moment of glory wear they get to brag a bit. Im sure youl get your next year if you pay attention to the pros like jeff here. Thats what im doing and im already halfway to an amazing display for 08!

JED wrote:

Jeff/jed

dont know your history, But it may be time to reflect on the 3 rules of planet christmas :happytree:. It's in the beginning when you join..

Some say if you dont like it, dont keep searching for it....

Sorry...Had to say something.

Robert

jeffostroff wrote:

The Lord had blessed me greatly in 2007. In fact the day after xmas at the Target sale, I noticed how empty Target and Wal-Mart were. I came home and as soon as the stock market opened I bought a ton of put options on Target, where you make money if it goes down. Sold out of it the next day with $8k profit, so that took care of all 2007

Jeff, if you ever want to start a thread on the mechanics of puts and calls and share an example of how your numbers worked under the example given, I would be all ears. That is a topic a lot of us might be intersted in.

Jdwagner888 wrote:

I dont think ive ever seen jeff brag except when showing off videos in the toot your horn section. But thats what the section is for! if you look i bet 90%of the posts here are people showing off their display. Everyone has there moment of glory wear they get to brag a bit. Im sure youl get your next year if you pay attention to the pros like jeff here. Thats what im doing and im already halfway to an amazing display for 08!

Hi.

Is it me or is it getting warm in here.....;)

Robert

JED wrote:

Yes a "newbie" so I guess a "newbie" does not count. So just forget everything I have said. Guess I have spoken out of turn here, but if a "newbie" thinks this enough to say something in public should it not at least be considered?

Hi jed.

Newbie also. I just did not think I would see comments like that here.. Maybe time for a group hug :smile: Back to matters at hand.

To all a good night.

Robert

JED wrote:

Yes a "newbie" so I guess a "newbie" does not count. So just forget everything I have said. Guess I have spoken out of turn here, but if a "newbie" thinks this enough to say something in public should it not at least be considered?

Nice display, wish I had that many LED's

As others have said, review the 3 rules of the site - take the hint

Failure to do so generally leads to a Time out

So NO, it should not & is notconsidered

Most people with a decent display brag to some degree, I know I do

I only had maybe 7,000 LED's this year & my bill dropped over $120 from last year

That's a static display, I have maybe 25,000 total

Just for future reference in case my numbers change...not sure of the exact count

My bill would have dropped more but I added over 100 blow molds & 2 dozen infltables. Next year with animation my bill should drop even more

I have somewhere between 70-85,000 lights - again not sure of exact count for future reference, so please don't hold me to that number :}

ChuckHutchings wrote:

I can't believe one of the moderators hasn't done already something about this thread.

It CLEARLY should be in the "LED" forum. :P

No, no, no!

Then I'd be compelled to comment and we all knows what happens when I do.

:D:D:D:D:D<family friendly

A 100 count string of normal mini's is about 0.33 Amps. A fairly high price for electricity is $0.15/(kW*Hr).

Therefore the price to run 10,000 lights for 1 hour is

(0.33 Amps/100 lights) * 10,000 lights * 120V * (1kW/1000W) * $0.15/(kW*Hr) = $0.60/hour

LED's lights (if full wave) consume about 20% of that or $0.12. However, for sake of the argument, lets assume LED's use no power. Also lets assume that people are pretty good shoppers and they only pay $5.00 per 100 count mini LED and $1 for 100 count regular minis. Also assume that a string of regulars lasts 2 years while LED's would be 4 years. Therefore the real cost difference between the two for 10,000 ligts would be

($5/100 count LED) * 10,000 count - 2*($1/100 count mini) * 10,000 count = $300.

Therefore in order to make back the cost of LED's, you would have to run them for 500 hours ($300/($0.60/hour)). Now if you run your display for 5 hours a day for 45 days that is 225 hours. Therefore it would take you over 2 years to pay off the LED's. Now, this is all predicated putting everything in the best "light" for LED's.

If you run with more "real numbers" and go for $1/100 count regular mini and $10/100 count LED and ALSO realize that with animation your lights are only on maybe on 50% of the time, it would now be nearly 2000 hours for payback!

So in terms of total operating cost, LED's IMO are not a good thing.

HOWEVER,

LED's in terms of color/intensity are quite awesome. Therefore when buying LED's, don't fool yourself in terms of money saved...look at them in terms of what they will do for your display and see if that is worth it to you.

Also, LED's become quite valuable if you don't want to upgrade your house service (if you have a house with natural gas, you might have a 100 Amp service). It will also allow you to need fewer outlets. Again money saved.

Lucky you... My electric bill for second half of December (arrives in January) was $60 more then last years and I replaced 55 incandescent strings with LED. I was hoping for biggerdecline and to make it worst, we ran the display fewer total hours as compared to last year. Of course difference was this past December was hotter and we had more air conditioning but not a whole lot where as December 2006 was our cheapest electric bill in years (neither A/C or Heat was necessary the entire season). (my bill this was for second half of December was $289 if you must know).

My neighbor on the other hand that participates with my display told me last year's electric bill was $595 for second half of December,theyreplaced 150 strings of incandescents with LED (almost 80% of their display) and their second half of December bill reflected better savings... they had $225 or a savings of $370 just for 1/2 a month. For me I only light up 1/2 acre, the neighbor has a larger display and 1 full acre of lights. The reason their bill is still as high as it is, is because they had an enormous collection of inflatables. We are looking at compact flourescent lights made to fit C7's so we plan to replace all inflatable lighting with CFL and get this all down even lower next year.

jeffostroff wrote:

It doesn't take much tech savvy to deduce why it was 47,000 LEDs a month ago and 49,000 LEDs at the end. I was still adding lights!:waycool:

In fact when the news guys interviewed me on 12/16, I think I only had 43,000 lights. On 12/1 I was only at 41,000 lights. After Christmas sales, I added a few thousand more. That's how I arrived at 49,000 lights.

If anyone has a problem with my enthusiastic writing style, you can just ignore my threads. No one forced you to come in here. SO... whenever you see my username on a thread, just ignore it, and move onto the next one. Your stay here will be much happier!

Jeff.... its OK... people been riding my case for years because I have been, gulp, known to do the same thing.

Well Jeff we are all the P.T. Barnum's of the Christmas Display world. If you are going to do the work, huge expense, effort, etc... might as well get people to come because when they do, they certainly feel it was worth the drive and appreciate the effort.

On the other hand, I am learning to "check" my ego more and more especially at this board because you arent writting to the public that will come to see your display... you are writting to fellow display owners around the world. Before I knew it, my self promoting nature had 1/2 of the planetchristmas world thinking I was an egotistical nerd or so, so fair advise from experience is you might want to lower the ego a tad at the door.

BTW, for me, I like the High ego self promotors. When I first came to Planetchristmas, my impression of Chuck Smith was he was definately one of the self promotors and high ego but of course did it in a very respectable way. You Jeff certainly have the biggest LED display I know of and you contribute very valuable information and your pushing the LED's so much has rubbed off on me and I have lowered my winter power useage quite a bit based on your encouragement. I dont have deep enough pockets to pull off a $6000 conversion to LED but I will continue to accumulate an increasing percentage of them thanks to you. Thanks for your valuable contributions to the planetchristmas community.

I dont care what the other guys think, I seek out your messages and watch ALL of your movies and read most of your messages. Your a pretty good guy in my book, I hope to get down to the Gold Coast one day in December and see your display in person.

Jdwagner888 wrote:

Well one thing about Floridians.... I am included and so is Jeff.... The weather is warm... we hang outside in shorts and flip flops watching not only our own displays but greeting the hords of people that come to see our displays.

You get told how your display is awesome (a natural because its animated) and how its the best they ever seen. Night after night of hearing how you have the best thing in town DOES inflate your ego and our enthusiasms reflect in some way or another when we talk about our displays.

Just guys understand that egos run quite high in Florida.