Here's how much 49,000 LEDs saves off your electric bill

jeffostroff

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thyno z wrote:

SURE mj !! and when they come to us talking their non-sense, we'll climb down off that porch and run circles around those smarter, younger people ! :laughing:

Oh hey we can talk about the old days...I remember duck and cover...yeah the little schooldesk was going to keep us safe.

You however did forget onebig event that these youngwhippersnappersshould remember...Y2K.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Heh.

You two will probably need a couple of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2n98je

:P:laughing:

When exactly is the next FL mini...might have to fly back down...it appears I have a little unfinished business.

Oh your best day Mr. Hutchings...I can run circles around you and your little dog too.

AND BY THE WAY....I understand AARPhas your name on their list.

wont need one of those for another 50 years. if one showed up at my house, the person delivering it would be wearing it for bling ! like mj said, we'd run circles around any of the members here. well, except the ones older than us and they would probably run circles around US !

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Heh.

You two will probably need a couple of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2n98je

:P:laughing:

Edit: I'm not being insensitive to old people. I'm about the same age myself. ;)

thyno z wrote:

wont need one of those for another 50 years. if one showed up at my house, the person delivering it would be wearing it for bling ! like mj said, we'd run circles around any of the members here. well, except the ones older than us and they would probably run circles around US !

Oh, come on! You have to admit that was pretty funny.

Mary Jayne wrote:

I think I should be able to run circles aroundJack...especially since I have seenthe way you have put him to work...poor little thing.

A screen cleaner for computers.

http://www.garyrip.com/screenclean.swf

Have you ever seen a "pug run"? That's when they go bonkers and just take off and start running at full bore.

It's quite amusing but, believe me, you WON'T be running circles around it. Olympic sprinters will not be running circles around it.

OOPS...it would appear that this thread has been completely hijacked. Sorry but when someone says something about 50+ being old...kind of gets to this old gal.

So sorry peeps....now what was thisthread originally about...I forgot (senior moment)...oh yes...LEDs and the savings off electric bills.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

I was just making an observation.

In my opinion, there is some point in a person's life where they become the crotchety old man on the porch rocking chair that just says "Bah! Back when I was a kid we never had no <whatever it is>!"

Some people reach that point at different ages but I think 50 is a good average.

And Chuck, the folks of your generation are just as bad with that attitude as demonstrated by the often used phrase"whatever." Apathy knows no age.

thyno z wrote:

actually, im not over 50. im right on it. 30 years ago "they" told us we were on the verge of running out of oil. 20 years ago "they" told us we were on the verge of another ice age. now, "they" tell us that we're going to bake ourselves alive or drown from the melting of the polar caps, or some such non-sense. my head is very much out of the sand. im smart enough to know when im being had and when im not. its all a bunch of, hmmmmmmmm, how can i put this in a family friendly way.......... AH ! its all el toro pooh-pooh and al gore is the top pooh-pooh !

Thyno... I remember that oil thing too. Looks like we're still burning it and plenty left.

EDIT: I guess all of the snow the US is experiencing is due to global warming? We had the worst ice storm in years Thursday.

http://www.wxii12.com/slideshow/slideshows/15193386/detail.html

Martha Kleder wrote:

And Chuck, the folks of your generation are just as bad with that attitude as demonstrated by the often used phrase"whatever." Apathy knows no age.

Uh, oh! We're about to see the effects of cognitive dissonance when Martha looks at my profile and notes that she and I are the same age. (Within months!) ;)

Whatever. :P

Edit: I'm picturing that scene from "Scanners."

mountainwxman wrote:

EDIT: I guess all of the snow the US is experiencing is due to global warming? We had the worst ice storm in years Thursday.

I know we're just joking at this point but perhaps you would be a good voice to explain the difference between "weather" and "climate".

Edit: Try to explain it in a manner that relates it to how 49,000 LEDs affect your electric bill so it's on topic. :laughing:

Ok, back on track now after that brief interlude from the AARP:laughing:

One point about the CFL bulbs, remember, for most of the mass public consumers like us, CFL bulbs have only been available for a couple of years, whereas light bulbs have been around what, maybe 100 years? So CFL manufacturers are probably still recovering their initial engineering costs for this newer technology. They are still at the top of their price curve. Higher price does not necessarily translate into higher energy to make, as Joseph suggested.

The economies of scale have not caught up yet for CFL bulbs, but they should one day soon, as they will for LEDs. I usually try to buy the CFLs in 4 or 8 multipaks at Costco or Sam's to further keep my acquisition costs lower.

But when people try to slam the use of CFLs, they overlook one other side benefit that the special interests groups fail to disclose. That is, the CFL bulbs run way cooler than normal light bulbs, so your house will not heat up as much and your air conditioning bill could be lower as well. All those CFL cost savings estimates you see on the CFl packaging are only related the light bulb itself, and don't encompass the wider range of benefits you might expect.

Joseph, as for your statement about being CFLs 400% more energy to produce, that sounds like somebody is feeding you bum data. Sounds more like some protest group’s romantic creation to impress the uneducated masses. When I worked at Motorola I had a saying that I used:

“In God we trust, all others bring data”

What I would like to see is an independent engineering analysis of how they determine the real cost and energy consumption to make a CFL bulb and let it be posted in public where other engineers can pick it apart.

I put a couple of CFLs in the lamps in our living room just to try them out.

While they aren't terrible, there IS a warm up period when you first turn them on before they achieve full intensity.

I can tell the light isn't conventional incandescent but it's not quite as bad as a regular flourescent.

Maybe in a few years they'l figure out how to make CFL's not s***,

Chuck:

Thta's a common complaint. Some CFLs are bad about this, some are good. I find the best CFL bulbs with this respect to be N-Vision brand from Home Depot, they seem to be mostly instant on, with no delay. The GE and Philips brand lights seem to have delay coming up to brightness. I even replaced my ceiling high hat lights with dimmable CFL floods, so that I can save even more by not turning the 15 watt CFLs on all the way. For example, at sunset, you turn them on just a bit, then when it gets dark, you can turn them up a bit more with the dimmer.

Try out the N-vision brand if you feel up to it.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Martha Kleder wrote:

Uh, oh! We're about to see the effects of cognitive dissonance when Martha looks at my profile and notes that she and I are the same age. (Within months!) ;)

Whatever. :P

Edit: I'm picturing that scene from "Scanners."

Pardon me, Chuck. I got the impression you were much younger. After all, you just accusedthe baby boomer generation, the generation that LAUNCHED the environmental movement, of not caring about the environment. I just found it humorous, that's all. While you may have slept through the 60's and 70's I am pleased to see you at leastwokeup sometime during Psyc 101.

jeffostroff wrote:

Chuck:

Thta's a common complaint. Some CFLs are bad about this, some are good. I find the best CFL bulbs with this respect to be N-Vision brand from Home Depot, they seem to be mostly instant on, with no delay. The GE and Philips brand lights seem to have delay coming up to brightness. I even replaced my ceiling high hat lights with dimmable CFL floods, so that I can save even more by not turning the 15 watt CFLs on all the way. For example, at sunset, you turn them on just a bit, then when it gets dark, you can turn them up a bit more with the dimmer.

Try out the N-vision brand if you feel up to it.

Jeff,

I'll check those out.

The other issue I have is they don't fit all my fixtures unless I get REALLY low wattage ones.