Here's how much 49,000 LEDs saves off your electric bill

CFL bulbs came out in 1973

I started using them almost 10 years ago in my old house

Most of mine are NVision & instant on

Almost my entire house & around 200 blow molds have CFL bulbs

I'm now moving to LED

I actually like the slow start up of some bulbs - I reserve those for the bathroom overhead light. Very nice to have it slowly brighten in the morning

Where I used to havea 75w bulb I now have a 23w CFL = 100w

Much brighter & less energy

With LED & CFL in my kitchen I went from 288w to 88w & MUCH brighter

I like LED in my display (strings) because they are SO BRIGHT!!

My Mega tree was 3000w with C-9's last year - only 80w this year & MUCH brighter!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeffostroff wrote:

But when people try to slam the use of CFLs, they overlook one other side benefit that the special interests groups fail to disclose. That is, the CFL bulbs run way cooler than normal light bulbs, so your house will not heat up as much and your air conditioning bill could be lower as well. All those CFL cost savings estimates you see on the CFl packaging are only related the light bulb itself, and don't encompass the wider range of benefits you might expect.

Ok let me say I do use CFLs...and while I agree with this not heating up the house as much...well sure it works here in the summer...and probably great for you people who live in places that are warm year round.

Right now though it is cold outside here and in order to save on the gas part of the bill...the thermostat has been kept lower in the past couple of years and is programmed to drop downeven more-so at night. So I sit here under a ceiling fan...which of course is not running cause I don't care what they say about itcirculating warm air....just feelscolder to me...with a light fixture that has 4 CFLs in it andwhat I wouldn't give for it to be giving off a little extraheat.

Golly Gee!

I messed up and stopped reading thie thread JUST bwhen it got interesting!

I had to go back and read again!.

I always have "Carbon Footprint" comments.

Scientific research shows that at all "global thaws" after an ice age in the past, the levels of CO2 have risen.

Cause and effect!

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/the-discover-interview-henrik-svensmark

(I hate tinyurls because i want to know what I am looking at before I click it!)

possibly the BEST "climate Change" article I have read.

...and I have used CFLs in my home for almost 15 years.

They last longer, and don't get hot, so you don't have to turn them off when you are not in the room. . . . that way they are already bright when you come back in!

jeffostroff wrote:

But when people try to slam the use of CFLs, they overlook one other side benefit that the special interests groups fail to disclose. That is, the CFL bulbs run way cooler than normal light bulbs, so your house will not heat up as much and your air conditioning bill could be lower as well. All those CFL cost savings estimates you see on the CFl packaging are only related the light bulb itself, and don't encompass the wider range of benefits you might expect.

Joseph, as for your statement about being CFLs 400% more energy to produce, that sounds like somebody is feeding you bum data. Sounds more like some protest group’s romantic creation to impress the uneducated masses. When I worked at Motorola I had a saying that I used:

My homepage is MSN and I bumped into the article about CFL's about a year ago or so and now I cant find it but anyone that frequents MSN.com knows they are the ultimate tree huggers but in interesting way.

I shouldnt have brought it up. I should add my own house doesnt have an incandescent bulb in it. I have been 100% CFL's since 1997 and I'll forever back them. I have R60 in my attic and double pane windows on every window which is unusual down here. The reason for more energy embedded in CFL's and expense is well overall there is more mass and weight to them, digital ballasts and a lot of goodies in them that are simply not in a light weight incandescent bulb.

Everything in both bulbs had to be forged and melted into shape with heat. We have to remember a 60 watt bulb only runs about 20 cents a month to begin with so singularly they dont save very significant amounts but replacing ALL the bulbs in the house adds up to something significant, but in my case a Tampa Electric energy audit at my house told me 100% CFL's were only saving me about 8% of my electric bill and to be honest I never noticed any type of signficiant drop when I first installed them but I am sure the savings are there.

The only thing I should have brought up is people are spending thousands on seasonal use LED's when I wonder if some of this budget would have a greater return installing solar hot water heater which is something I am focusing on this year, want to take advantage of federal and state rebates, etc which pay about $600 of a unit that I am looking at that costs about $1800 to install. Tampa electric predicted the solar hot water will take $32 a month off my electric bill, far more significant then their estimate that my 100% CFL installation saves me about $16 a month.

I'll go with Chuck about buying LEDs.

At NO TIME in my consideration to use LEDs was power savings the issue.

Its all about more lights per channel. More channels per breaker.

I DO, now that I have bought the LEDs, consider things such as, I use LEDS on most of the "static" part, since it is on all the time. I put the LEDS in places where I can't reach to repair, becuase they don't go out.

But for the most part, not having to worry about over amping triacs, fuses or breakers in Numeral Uno!

I'm looking into maybe going one up on myself and going solar. The only issue is that the inverters you use to convert DC to AC for th elights ar enot pure sine wave inverters. Rather, they are dirty square waves, smoothed down after the diode bridge. On any appliance this has no bad effect, but on LEDs, and othe rlights, this prevent sLOR from dimming ht elights, you would have to buy a high end super expensive inverter to get the job done.

Why convert it? You have all LED lights and, even if you didn't, you could run them on DC.

Of course, you'll have to get the DC LOR boards. ;)

Oh, and the sun's not too bright when you'd be running your show. (Or are there batteries involved?) :P

I'll give you $50 each for your old LOR boards. :]:cool:

I had a lot of trouble with my porch light burning out with the old incadescent bulbs. About 3 or 4 times a year. Changed to a CFL and used the same bulbfor about 4 years before I changed the fixture out last week. Saved money on replacement cost alone. I wish I knew why the others burned out so quick in comparison. Any ideas, anybody?

Maybe you had over voltage or under voltage on that lamp, or perhaps it was not making goog contact inside the socket and arcing. All 3 of these may cause stress on the bulbs. The newer CFL bulb are self balasting with circuitry built into the base. These maeans ther emay also be some voltage regulation built into them. Either way, this circuitry is a buffer between your cFL bulb, and any line problems on the socket. Could also be the brand of bulbs you were using had issues in maufacturing for that lot.

Either way when you think about it, a conventional lightbulb is self destructive by design, as this tungsten filament is designed to simply sit there an burn when electricity is applied. This burning is what leads to it's own demise.

There are many reasons to buy LED's but saving money on electric isn't one of them.

1). They are more brilliant.

2). They have a much richer color to them.

3). They last longer.

4). They use less power allowing you to use more lights w/o having to upgrade your power service.

Consider that one string of 100 count green are $13.83 from CDI on a preseason buy. The same 100 count incandescent green from Walmart at 50% off after Christmas is $1.00. You could also make a valid argument that you could get that string for 50 cents if you waited a few extra days. Almost a $13.00 difference in upfront cost.

Do your own math on the electrical usage between the two using your own electrical rates. I'm sure that you'll find that recouping your investment via electric savings probably will never happen. My guess is that by the time you actually start realizing a savings, you probably won't even have the string any more due to wire breakage, bulb failure, socket rusting, upgrading to something newer/better or other various reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember when we learned to hide under our school desks in the event of an atomic attack. School desks were made better back then.

I use mostly CFL bulbs, but have found that some burn out quicker than others. In some cases they did'nt last six months. I use them primarily due to their low heat output. (I live in Louisiana).

I use as many LED's in my display as I can afford. They reduce the amount of extension cords this old fart has to carry into the attic. (Just put them away yesterday, four crates worth). Some young whippersnapper should add that into the carbon footprint equation.

I am not as old as many of you, but I can remember when we were taught that the next ice age was coming, flying cars would be on every roof, robots would do our bidding, etc. I guess one out of three is'nt bad if you count IRomba vaccums.