SPT-1 will be fine for leaping arches. I plan on using several thousand feet of it for my 08 display. The important thing is to not overload the wire by pulling more amps than what it is rated for. I try to keep all of my channels under 2 amps so that I never have to worry about that.

Eddie and Scott i will be using led lights on my arches and almost every thing else this year.so it shouldn' t be an issue about ampslast year i only put3 sets of regularmini's to channel thank you for your response Blair

Does anyone carry the male and female plugs besides Action Lighting. For all I know their price may be awesome, but it just goes against my grain to not compare at least one other vendor's price before buying.

I mean we're talking 1000' of spt1 for $60 @ Skycraft vs $145 @ Action Lighting. I understand it may not be quite the same quality, but that's a HUGE difference, might be a much lower priced vendor for the plugs as well out there.

Jdwagner888 wrote:

syscoi when you call them can you let me know on here how much they want for a 500ft roll of the green spt2 or 1 wire? Thanks -Jeff

Jeff just got off the phone withDave hetold me green wire spt2 500 ft roll would cost $ 88.49 Blair

circus4u wrote:

I have bought vampire plugs from both Creative Display and Action Lighting. Action Lighting has been the cheapest I could find.

Yes i would have to agree with you on thatSPT2 male plugs are $ 6.60 for 12 and SPT2 female plugs are $ 7.48 for 12 Blair

sysco wrote:

circus4u wrote:

Yes i would have to agree with you on thatSPT2 male plugs are $ 6.60 for 12 and SPT2 female plugs are $ 7.48 for 12 Blair

I wonder why SPT2 plugs are less expensive thatn SPT1?

circus4u wrote:

Creative Displays also has wire, 1000 ft of 18 gauge for $125. Paul also has a UV inhibitor in his wire. http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodList.asp

I have used wire from both Creative Display and Action Lighting. Both are good and reliable vendors.

While I recommend Action Lighting highly I think the UV inhibitor in the wire from Creative Displays is a huge plus.Both Action Lighting and Creative Displays have reputations for great customer service to PC members. Both offer discounts.

TED

bhays wrote:

I mean we're talking 1000' of spt1 for $60 @ Skycraft vs $145 @ Action Lighting. I understand it may not be quite the same quality, but that's a HUGE difference, might be a much lower priced vendor for the plugs as well out there.

The difference is that Skycraft is a surplus store. This means that the wire is old wire that was leftover from somewhere that Skycraft was able to buy cheap. This doesn't mean that the wire isn't good but it's old stock that they got a deal onand that's why it's cheaper. It's not so much that the wire from Action Lighting or Creative Displays is better quality but that it is new. I would expect new wire to last longer than old wire to some extent but really it's the UV light from the Sun that causes wire to deteriorate. As far as I know Creative Displays is the only place to get zip cord with UV inhibitor.

As far as the plugs you aren't likely to find a much better deal on new plugs. (You might get lucky and find some surplus or on eBay.)

TED

sysco wrote:

can anyone tell me where i can buy 250 ft or 500 ft or 1000 ft spools of spt2 wire cheap thank you Blair
fordguy05 wrote:
SPT-1 will be fine for leaping arches. I plan on using several thousand feet of it for my 08 display. The important thing is to not overload the wire by pulling more amps than what it is rated for. I try to keep all of my channels under 2 amps so that I never have to worry about that.

SPT1 is rated for 7 amps. SPT2 is rated for 10 amps.

TED

I bought wire last year from Action Lighting (2000 ft),Creative Displays (4000ft) and Skycraft (4000 ft). All were good products, and although Skycraft is a surplus store we are not talking about a store selling a few leftover rolls from some other manufacturer. It appears they are aquiring lots of 25,000 ft. The rolls are spooled and wrapped in plastic and I have no complaints other than they are only available in 250 ft. rolls as opposed to 1000 ft. rolls.

You need to look at the gauge wire you are buying

SPT1, SPT2 & SPT3 refer to the insulation

16g zip cord IU have seen can be rated at anywhere from 10a (1200w) to 1625w = 13.5a

The Sky craft listed is 18g wire maybe (probably is) less

Make sure of what you are buying & that it will meet your needs

Ask for the wire gauge rating

TED wrote:

circus4u wrote:

While I recommend Action Lighting highly I think the UV inhibitor in the wire from Creative Displays is a huge plus.Both Action Lighting and Creative Displays have reputations for great customer service to PC members. Both offer discounts.

TED

I have to wonder about the UVinhibitor factor that is added to the wire or shouldIsay the insulation.Ihave intently left up a homemade C9 light set with bulbson our barn that was made out of SPT1 wire that we purchased from either Lowe's or Home Depot.This light set has been up in the harshFlorida sun forfour years now and not to mention is has also been through three major hurricanes. The wire is juststarting to show signs that itshould be replaced which we will be replacing this yearwith Creative Displays C9's.

Eddie

man o man i just bought 2000 ft of spt1 wire for 120.00 man thats a steal and i talked my local lighting wholesaler in town to sell me the spt1 gilbert plugs which are the vampire plugs for .55 and .88 a piece now thats a darn good deal

man i cant wait to have enough drop cord and not have to worry about running out but with that in mind ill prob go overboard as we all do and have to order more hahahahah lol

well gotta go all my stuff came in today and while my wife is watching our first born son she is letting me get started making all the boards up and connecting the wire to get a heads up on this year

well gotta go

David Balch wrote:

You need to look at the gauge wire you are buying

SPT1, SPT2 & SPT3 refer to the insulation

16g zip cord IU have seen can be rated at anywhere from 10a (1200w) to 1625w = 13.5a

The Sky craft listed is 18g wire maybe (probably is) less

Make sure of what you are buying & that it will meet your needs

Am I missing something? The wire that islisted at Skycraft is less than what? The SPT1 wire that I purchasedlast yearfrom both Lowe's and Home Depot were 18g. Thezip cord that is listed on Creative Displays website is 18g. The wire listed on Actionlighting.com is listed at 7amp which should be 18G.