• 3 weeks later...

bhays wrote:

Agreed.... Now, if we could only find a cheap source for plugs!!!

I found the plugs quite a bit cheaper. 55 cents each for both the male and female plugs at Novelty Lights...that's 20 cents cheaper than action lighting. I just bought 200 of each and 2500 feet of SPT1 from Skycraft. Thanks for that tip!!

Here's the link to the plugs at novelty lights:

http://www.noveltylights.com/accessories.htm

bhays wrote:

bhays wrote:

I found the plugs quite a bit cheaper. 55 cents each for both the male and female plugs at Novelty Lights...that's 20 cents cheaper than action lighting. I just bought 200 of each and 2500 feet of SPT1 from Skycraft. Thanks for that tip!!

Here's the link to the plugs at novelty lights:

http://www.noveltylights.com/accessories.htm

Been looking for a better deal on plugs. Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered 300 ea. mail and female. Also noticed this site is one of the few places with 3/16 inch wire frame clips in stock less my 5000. Thanks again!

Bill V wrote:

Been looking for a better deal on plugs. Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered 300 ea. mail and female. Also noticed this site is one of the few places with 3/16 inch wire frame clips in stock less my 5000. Thanks again!

I got 300 of each too. I bet we caused them to restock :laughing:

Jdwagner888 wrote:

Will spt1 wire work if i have a few parts in my display wear there are 4 100 count sets of lights together? NOT LED. i only have 6 wire trees that im going to put 400 lights on each. to make them a big WOW when they light up.

They are gonna be bright! Very nice.

The difference between the spt1 and spt2 is the rating of the insulation. I think it's 300volt vs 600volt.

The wire size (18, 16, etc) denotes the current carrying capacity. 4 strings of 100 cnt mini's is what, maybe 1.3 amps? Not much. I personally would use 18/2 for that. According to this document, 16/2 wire should be good for a run up to 150':

http://www.jlab.org/ehs/manual/PDF/6210T2ExtensionCords.pdf

fyi, Skycraft has 1000' of 16/3 zip cord available. I'm using it to build cables for runs to groups of elements with low loads (arches, mini trees, etc) with a #14 common return. Here's an interesting thread on common returns:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum73/21940.html

The Skycraft wire I referred to is:

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=677

Have fun!

cheywolf wrote:

I just got off the phone with Skycraft, and they're out of the 18/2 spt1, except for a couple of scraps. They had 5000' come in the other day, but one of those Christmas people bought it all. :laughing:

You know anything about that?

I am only responsible for half of that :laughing: I bought 2500' of it.

bhays wrote:

...I am only responsible for half of that :laughing: I bought 2500' of it.

That's almost a mile, counting both conductors!

When the time comes, I was thinking it would be fun to describe my display using odd units of measure: yep, it's drawing 60 gilberts of electricity and uses 4200 barleycorns of extensions.

edit: actually, I think I'll describe the draw in the universal unit of "hairdryers".

cheywolf wrote:

I just got off the phone with Skycraft, and they're out of the 18/2 spt1, except for a couple of scraps. They had 5000' come in the other day, but one of those Christmas people bought it all. :laughing:

You know anything about that?

Actually....No. It was 6000 feet. I made up my mind this year not to go insane trying to find it at the last min. like last year.

Have unofficially broken the five mile mark. It's plain sick

Bill V wrote:

cheywolf wrote: Actually....No. It was 6000 feet. I made up my mind this year not to go insane trying to find it at the last min. like last year.

Have unofficially broken the five mile mark. It's plain sick

Nah, "sick" has such a negative connotation. It's, "passion", yeah, that's the ticket.;)

So, Skycraft's 5000' (I'm sure that's what he said) really means 8500'. Must be that new elastic wire!

Just passing along what I was told and that the known 6000' + 2500' is a bit more than 5000', so Skycraft is moving mass quantities of wire at a great price. Not challenging anyone's finds. I simply hope we all get what we need to build what we've got planned for the year.

DanglinModifiers wrote:

Any time someone buys wire by the thousands of feet, they must realize they're not charging enough!

Skycraft prices for that wire havent changed in well over a year, but they have always offered really low prices on it. They were getting it in pretty regularly in 24,000 foot lots but I guess the source has run dry. Has anyone spoken to them to find out if they plan to offer it or a replacement in the near future? One can never have enough!:laughing: