transmitter group buy for PC members

taybrynn

I received mine last week, and I am very pleased!! Our home sits up just a bit from most of the other homes in our subdivision. My office (show computer) is in the front of the house. On the 10 mw setting, with the test antenna, I got almost 1/8 mile. With a nice dipole antenna, I got almost 1/4 mile. The sound quality is very good!! The stereo light lit up on my car radiotoo!

Sounds like a professional station, just not quite as loud. :waycool:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dennis,

I apologize for your delay. I don't know why yours would have been sent out that late! I will ask EDM about that.

rsthele, I know one reason why no transmitter sounds as loud as a professional station is because those professional stations use volume maximizers, limiters and the music is highly compressed to maximize the sound ... and the levels are very carefully handled with dedicated components. Most folks here are just under or over attenuated signal into the transmitter and most of the time the station sounds a tad weaker than the best stations on the dial. There is a MPX control (on the EDM LCD) that can adjust your volume to match surrounding stations ... and there was a white paper on the EDM yahoo group (files section) regarding this control. I was told to not mess with it, because it can create harmonics if adjusted too much. I believe the LED also has the control on it.

Per Steve' (of radiobrandy) excellent advise, I purchased DSP1424P off ebay (50-65 dollars) ... and use it to maximize my volume. The sound of EDM is great without it, but with it -- its becomes amazing ... about the same as my most powerful local FM station. The downside to the DSP1424P (beside extra $$) is that its very tweakable ... so you can make it worse or better ... so getting it just right takes a lot of tinkering around with various exciter, compresser (ultramizer) and limiter parameters.

One of Steve's original comments that hooked me on the EDM was that for same price as FM100B ... you can puchase an EDM LCD + DSP1424P + real mixer (in my case, a Yamaha MG12/2 I already had) ... you can blow it away in terms of sound and get a lot better mixer and control over the sound. I know most of us don't need that, but for some folks seeking the best possible sound in an FM transmitter under $1000 ... this is a great way to achieve it for minimal $$.

Scott

drawding -- PM sent.

Yes, batch #2 is 'in progress' ...

I think we are at 3 or 4 confirmed orders thus far.

All confirmed orders placed will ship when we get to 10 orders.

It is possible for a few additional orders to sneak in in the final 12-24 hours ... the batch closes at midnight (South Africa time) the day we hit 20 confirmed orders.

Activity has picked up recently ... esp. as others here

write about their own experiences with the EDM transmitters.

Regards,

Scott / taybrynn

Spent 15 minutes assembling the unit, applied power,programmed my frequency using atooth pick through the case holes, added audio input, then I had music of the air waves.

Could not be any simpler.

I was impressed with the audio clarity, no hum or hiss in the back ground.

Glad I got one now.

Next thing is figuring out the antenna placement for best coverage, I will be using the antenna supplied with the unit.

Folks,

Thanks for you patience.

It seems like about the same time this latest batch started, all the bad economic news came out (bear sterns, etc.) and people are watching the money really closely -as they should - I know I am.

So things are going slowly on batch#2 of the transmitter group buy.

Here is the latest status of where we are at.

edmprogress080414public.jpg

The good news is we are half way there (on LCD orders).

EDM did ship the LED orders last time (when the LCD 10 count was met), so I would hope they would do they same this time as well. I think they will continue to do people right ... and build a happy customer base 1 transmitter at a time.

Regards,

Scott / taybrynn

Ok,

EDM cut us some slack on missing the midnight deadline by 20-30 minutes on a couple orders for batch#2. This is a one time exception.

Cmoore and Christmas OCD were both included in batch#2 ... so their orders shipped with the rest of batch#2.

re: batch#3 ...

We have at least one order for batch#3 thus far.

Scott

Ok,

EDM cut us some slack on missing the midnight deadline by 20-30 minutes on a couple orders for batch#2. This is a one time exception.

Cmoore and Christmas OCD were both included in batch#2 ... so their orders shipped with the rest of batch#2.

re: batch#3 ...

We have at least one order for batch#3 thus far.

Scott

That's awsome Scott. Thanks for following up on that. I'm sure you had a lot to do with that exception. :D

Daren

Thanks for the update Erik !!

The EDM transmitter sale continues for those interested or still sitting on the sidelines. This is an excellent transmitter for primary or backup role. You can even purchase (2) at the sale price.

The kit assembly is very simple and more of a 10-15 minute job with 2 or 3 solder points only ... so a non-soldering person can easily do it.

As usual, batch #3 is going slowly (2 of 10 thus far) ... your feedback on your own experiences with EDM can help others gain confidence in this emerging product. It really is a excellent product and excellent for use in a lights display, both because of the audio quality, low amount of SNR (noise) and because of the variable power control, which allows you to throttle back the power to only what is needed/desired.

My own experience has been that the included (whip/test) antenna does a pretty great job for most folks, saving you money on an antenna. And I believe this is the only transmitter with a 2 year warranty with the manufacturer. The support is also typically quite responsive and the yahoo EDM is available for technical issues and/or discussion with other owners.

Scott

Above ground tests would be best, as posting basement performance will always be mediocre with anything.

Scott, I tried a test tonight with the LCD model set on 10mw, and with the included test antenna hanging out of a front bedroom window.

I easily got 1/10 of a mile in each direction on the road. Since that is more than adequate for my show, I didn't bother to test the 100mw setting.

Later. . . . . . . .Brad

Thanks for the updates folks. Everyone from batch #2 should be getting their this week, if they haven't already.

My experience was similar on the 10mW setting ... plenty of range. I suppose if I had a big acreage that the 100mW variable power might be needed.

Just remember to try an choose a good frequency that is either vacant or distant/weak at your location.

For those looking for a great transmitter, batch #3 is underway ... and accepting orders, just PM me for the sale link.

Scott

The EDM LCD can function in either 1->10mW or 2->100mW (variable) mode. This is determined by the setting on the red switch.

The unit ships with the red switch set to the 1->10mW setting. So remember that position before changing it.

The baby blue control right next to the red switch is the variable power control. You can turn it down to reduce to power ... down to the minimum level, if desired.

So say you wanted to go to 100mW and then back the power down till you reached the last house on the block ...

You would flip the red switch to the 2-100 setting, then test it at full power, then adjust it a quarter turn, retest range, then adjust it a quarter turn ... and so on ... till you get just the range desired and no more.

This site currently has good pictures and the second picture down shows both the red switch and the baby blue adjustable control next to it.

http://radiobrandy.com/EDM-Pictures.html

quote=taybrynn - Thanks for the updates folks. Everyone from batch #2 should be getting their this week, if they haven't already.

YES! My transmitter just arrived. Now I can figure out what frequency I can use and have Kevin (Demented Elf) start working on my Halloween voice overs. I can't wait to get this wrapped up so I can start on Christmas. I'll post a review after I finish assembly and testing. This ought to be interesting. I've soldered plenty of pipe, but never any circuitry. Wish me luck. :)

Daren

Quote-Taybrynn : This site currently has good pictures and the second picture down shows both the red switch and the baby blue adjustable control next to it.

It also shows the switch in the lower power posistion.

http://radiobrandy.com/EDM-Pictures.html

I did get mine today, and have already built and tested it. It is working great.

Christmas OCD I don't think you will have any problem at all. Just remember that a pipe will act as a big heat sink, and these smaller parts solder very quickly in comparison.

- Steve