transmitter group buy for PC members

taybrynn

I got it ... I got it ...

OK sorry - yes I got mine today. The wife looked at me a little funny when I started the chant. I got it ... I got it ... there I go again :)

I want to jump in and get it put together, but since I have never soldered before and don't even own a soldering gun, I will have to wait till the weekend to track down some buddies.

I have one question - I know I saw a link somewhere that allowed you to search for available channels in your area - Does anyone know what I am talking about?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparenty Radio Shack is a lot like Home Depot. Not the most experienced of clerks. After taking the transmitter apart to get a feel for what I was about to do I went to Radio Shack to pick up solder and an attenuator. Yeah I know I should have done this already. The clerk said he couldn't help me. He might be able to get one that wasn't variable but I should probably order one. I went online and tried the address for Radio Shack shown in the instructions. No joy. Found the one for The Sound Prossionals. My question is: We'd ya'll get yours? If I can get one other than Radio Shack I'd like to. I don't want to wait another week. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daren

Yes, that last link posted is the place to go for looking for an ideal frequency to use.

Here is a link EDM posted (3rd party site) for a simple video on soldering ... kind of fun to hear this guys accent ... this is all I watched and I did it, trembling hands and all ...

http://allspec.vodpod.com/video/838549-circuit-board-soldering

Apparenty Radio Shack is a lot like Home Depot. Not the most experienced of clerks. After taking the transmitter apart to get a feel for what I was about to do I went to Radio Shack to pick up solder and an attenuator. Yeah I know I should have done this already. The clerk said he couldn't help me. He might be able to get one that wasn't variable but I should probably order one. I went online and tried the address for Radio Shack shown in the instructions. No joy. Found the one for The Sound Prossionals. My question is: We'd ya'll get yours? If I can get one other than Radio Shack I'd like to. I don't want to wait another week. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daren

Here is the Radio Shack number 42-2559 just in case this link wont work. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975&cp

-Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the link. It worked. I'm asumming I won't need it because I plugged into my speaker that has a headphone jack and volume control. I picked up a Y-Adapter audio cable that Scott recommended. I'll write down the part # in case I switch computers.

Thanks again,

Daren

Got my EDM-TX-LCD 2 days ago. It took longer to find and heat my soldering iron than to solder the power socket to the board.(The only thing you have to solder) Everything else is assembled. It comes in a great powder coated metal case. And is quality constructed. You really can't hurt it.

Ask me how I know?

I finshed putting the power socket on the baord, plugged in the power supply to the unit and-- nothing. Checked everything-- all looked good.

So, I sent an e mail to EDM figuring it would take at least a couple of days, if I was lucky, to hear from them. WRONG!! I had a reply within 10 MIN from EDM. The rep from EDM was GREAT!

He ran me through a 45 MIN e mail diognostic.

He kept asking if I had put the chip in backwards and would tell him I had put it in just like the picture. I finally got my eyes in focus and low-n-behold, the chip was in backwards. No problem and no damage because EDM put a power limiting resistor in the circuit to protect the unit from bone heads like me! Can't say enough Good things about the customer service,these guys put out! If your on the fence about getting one of the these units-- GET OFF the fence and get one. With the great price and the awesome customer service you can't go wrong! No, I don't own stock in EDM. I'm just a very satisfied customer! Pete

Pete's right. EDM has great customer service. It's Saturday and they emailed me back in 15 minutes. An update on my problem. EDM sent me a new microprocessor. I really did have mine in the correct way. :) I put in the new micro with the unit outside of the housing. I powered it up and there was the frequency number just like when they tested it. Yeah! But wait. I put it all back together AND you guessed it. Same problem. All I see are 16 rectangles at the top. Power is getting to the display, just not any information. Something is shorting out so I have to send the unit to a shop in Temecula and have them look at it. EDM's customer service is great and even though a bad one got by, they work quickly at getting it taken care of. I'll post the results when I get them.

Daren

Pete,

Thanks for the detailed story of your own experiences. I nearly put the chip in backwards myself.

Daren, I'm really sorry you had to be the one to go through this. I'm really glad EDM is taking care of you on this matter ... but what a hassle!

I know for a fact that they test every transmitter before it ships out and work very hard to make sure their parts all meet specs. But still, a failure is still possible, however remote that possibility.

I've heard ... that the EDM engineers are ex-military ... so they built this thing to specs that are well beyond what this price point would normally include ...

We are at 6 of 10 orders for the LCD on batch #3 ...

Just 4 more ...

Technical Note for future reference:

Correct orientation of eprom chip for the EDM LCD.

! Note: the chip should be inserted so that the half moon notch is towards the BH1414 chip ... or towards the LCD display.

If the notch is pointing towards the two black tuning button, then the chip was inserted backwards.

8EDMLCD.jpg

OK - I got things put together late last night. I don't think I have the proper cable that is needed to go from the line out of the PC into the transmitter. (is this the best place to hook it up)

Can someone tell me what I need to get so that I can get it on the way home and test it out tonight?

OK - I got things put together late last night. I don't think I have the proper cable that is needed to go from the line out of the PC into the transmitter. (is this the best place to hook it up)

Can someone tell me what I need to get so that I can get it on the way home and test it out tonight?

Try the headphone jack also.

Update on my problem with the transmitter. Let me emphasize MY PROBLEM. Apparently I didn't press the microchip in hard enough. 5 times no less. I've installed memory, video cards, sound cards etc. but nothing that small. I pushed it in until I couldn't feel any more give. I thought I'd feel a click or something, but never did and I was afraid to push any harder. Lesson learned. The transmitter did work with the second chip when it was apart, but not when I put it back together. Must have made just enough contact. Anyway, EDM was great. They were quick to respond on each email and offered lots of help. I mailed the unit yesterday afternoon and they had an answer around the same time today. They're going to keep it running throughout the day and mail it back tomarrow morning. So, for all the folks in batch 3, make sure you push the chip in all the way. :)

Daren

Darren ... this is great news. Thanks for the updates.

I also was worried about how much force to use when inserting the eprom chip into the socket.

On mine, after noticing that the chip wasn't going in easily ... I noticed that there was 1 pin that was slightly bent, so I carefully straightened it with needle nosed pliers ... then it went in fairly easily, but I recall applying a fair amount of fingertip pressure to make sure it was in all the way ... more than just dropping a cpu into a socket, for sure.

I guess they decided to ship it yesterday after all. I got it this morning and it works great. I played a sequence and got great sound in the house stereo and the truck in the driveway. The house across the street had a little static. I've only tried 3 frequencies so far. I'll have to dig through th threads later and see if I should try more frequencies or try to tweek it.

And again, if you're on the fence about EDM transmitters they are great and their customer service outstanding. I was in sales for 25 years and never dealt with people that cared that much.

Daren

Daren,

I'm really happy it worked out for you.

Remember, that you can vary the power as needed.

Also, make sure to locate the transmitter as far from sources of potential RF interference as you can. So keep it away from computers, screens, amplifiers ... if possible.

This link is the best one for finding potential FM frequencies to use:

link

- - - -

Heads Up --

:D We are at 7 orders on batch#3 ... only 3 more !! and then they all ship out. Based on prior batches, this is likely to occur within the next week.

So if your in the market for a great transmitter at 10% ... consider this a great time to get one.

Batch #3 closes at 1 PST / 3MST / 4 CST / 5 PST ... on the same day we reach 10 confirmed orders ... I'll let you know when we hit 10. Traditionally, these last few orders go fast, since these folks will wait the least.

PM if interested.

Scott / taybrynn

Well I got my transmitter from group 2. I have been putting off getting it soldered up as I have never soldered before. :confused:

I watched the video, went out and bought a 25 watt soldering iron and followed the steps.

Now I will say that my solder joints don't look absolute best, bet when I was finished, I plugged in the power supply and I had power.

Next I tested out and found the available FM channels in my area. I then connected everything to my computer line out (purchased the cable at Radio Shack) and applied power to the transmitter. Tuned it to my channel and kicked off my Christmas music and what do you think happened ... I had music. I then got in the car and drove around to check the clarity. I was really surprised how it sounded, and the distance with just the test antenna and the original setting was great. 3 blocks in all directions and that is from the interior of a block house.

If a complete novice like me can do this, so can you. When the kit came in the wife asked me why I didn't get the one that was already completed. I told her that I save about $100 and that was enough for her. :)

So if you are still on the fence - GET OFF AND GET ONE. :D

Great story of how even a novice can put one of these together!

I was in the same boat myself.

I sent you a PM larry.

Ok folks, if you want in on batch#3 ... now is the perfect time to act.

We are at 9 of 10 orders on the LCD ...

JUST ONE MORE NEEDED !

If we hit 10 orders before 1PM MST / 3PM EST today, then batch#3 closes at that time ... and the ordering page will be temporarily unavailable for a few hours after the batch closes. After that, batch#4 will start.

Please act now if you want a great deal on a transmitter and virtually no additional wait. PM me for the sale link.

Scott / taybrynn

Ok 10 of 10 orders on batch#3 ... !!!

batch#3 satisfied ...

but you can still get in on it for a few more hours ...

Batch #3 closes today at 12 midnight SA (S. Africa) time today ...

this is the perfect time to get in on this sale, as any order above the

Here is the SA time ... order before midnight today to get in on this deal, and you'll have virtually no additional wait to get yours!!

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_ZA.aspx

PM me for the sale link ...

Scott