Look at this letter I recieved today..

Here is a letter I recieved word for word.. I'm going to decide how to respond shortly. (After I calm down)

"Clean up your filthy property. You and your family have turned a beautiful street into a disgrace.

You think you are liked and admired for the Xmas Mess you force on our neighborhood. You are wrong. You are the laughing stock of Glen Cove. Even TV made fun of you.

You must have previously lived in a slum because that is what your property looks like.

You have lowered property value for the entire street.

Why do you think your neighbors, Christians and Jews, want to look at your dirty old Wmas junk for months every year.

Get off your lazy, useless buts and clean up your mess!

You are very disliked by the entire street.. MOVE!"

That was in my mail box today. I have an idea who it can be. Before I get arrested, I'm going to take a few deep breaths.. :(I will respond in a way. Maybe post a sign on my lawn for all to see. We'll see.. I will post a photo of the front of my home as it is right now for all to see.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mliquori wrote:

That was in my mail box today.

Everything else aside, if they placed it in your mailbox (as opposed to the USPS) then it's considered a crime.

Not sure your local Postmaster would take up the case, but I digress.

Wait until they see the new additions I just got for you here in Miami! :P

But, I have to be honest - I have sort of let our lawn get a little "unkempt" in appearance lately. Mostly, this is because I've been teaching my son how to mow the lawn properly and to make him do it every week (as it should be done) is asking a little much. By June, it should be back in good shape.

At least I am aware of the problem and am dealing with it.

Is YOUR yard area getting messy? Do you have bits of stuff all over?

I have no idea what your yard looks like but usually people don't complain for no reason. (They WERE NOT complaining about your display directly.)

Is it possible that they have a point?

It's true, they don't have the nerve to put their name on the letter. I'm going to put p a picture of the front of my home so all can see. I have letter after letter praising us for what we do for the neighborhood at christmas time. This is a neighborhood where everyone minds each others business. I may go to the mattresses with this and put the story in the local paper, to try and find out who this person is. although I have an idea. I guess when you do something of this scale, that is out of the ordinary, there will be people that love it and hate it. maybe its just something that I have to accept. You can't make everybody happy. I fnay of my neighbors have any issues with me, they can come ring my bell. I'm not an animal. To do this with no name shows what kind of person they are. Maybe I'll get a head start on this years decorating, since I was late last year, and start putting up my display soon. That'll make a few people happy. You know what this year It's going to be the biggest yet.

When you complain like this , I'll give you more to complain about..

Maybe I'll have my daughters boyfriends band play Christmas music in my driveway every weekend this year. Or maybe I'll turn up the volume a litle bit more on my outdoor christmasmusic. I'll see. I have some time to plan my attack.

Since this person didn't have the guts to sign the letter and didn't really say specifially what they want you to clean up (garbage, take your lights down on 12/16, whatever) I wouldn't give it a second thought. That can be hard to do though,if it were me, I'd type out my own ugly reply and then shred both papers and let it go.

It is more than likely just one person that does not like you or what you do at Christmas. This letter could have been written in December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, or November without it being true.

What the writer wants is to take out his frustration on you as you are the easiest to blame for his problems.

It is easy to get mad but you just have to blow it off.

An unsigned letter deposited in a mailbox is a sign of immaturity. It could be teenagers getting a rise out of you.

I would keep it just to have for laughs.

mliquori wrote:

I may go to the mattresses with this and put the story in the local paper, to try and find out who this person is.

I wouldn't do this. It could back fire on you by drawing out others that have complaints about your display and magnify the problem.

I'm sure you know how it goes, folks that may feel the same way and normally keepquiet,but now they feel free to express their opinions now that someone else has done the dirty work by breachingthe subject.

Those that like your display don't make any noise over it so the only opinions the city powers will hear are the negative one's.

Don't give them an open air form to voice their complaints.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil as they say.

As for what your yard looks like?

Without a picture I can't offer any opinion other than to say.

For those that live in climates like ours it's normal for our yards to become a little unsightly over theWinter. I'm sure like most once warmer weather approaches you'll get things straightened out.

Guest TERBObob

ya know ... I have the ONE neighbor that is EXACTLY like that ... but , then again , they complain about ANYTHING .

And , I also know of a family about 8 blocks away , where they DO a Christmas display that is totally hideous . Its actually an insult to folks who DO try and make a nice display .

( no , I do not live anywhere near NY )

But , you DID say repeatedly that you were gonna post a pic of your house/yard and haven't and I was wondering why ?

I would do nothing and wait to see if they speak up. Then when they do, incalm voiceask them if they know that touching your mail box with out your permission and delivering mail with out postage is a federal offense. And if there are any further communications you WILL call the postal inspectors. We had a problem with a local politician a few years back that put his fliers behind the flag on our mail box, when I questioned our postmaster (by phone) they wanted me to tell them where I lived so they could investigate. I took care of it personally, I saw the politician on election day, I handed him a letter telling him if him or any of his representatives touched my mail box ever again I would call the postal inspectors. In that case he could have been forced to pay postage on every house in his precinct. The Postal Service takes the sanctity of the mail very serious. It sounds like those that enjoy your display greatly out number the winer. Some people are just born complainers.

Well here it is. , I work on saturday, so I just took this picture of the front yard of my house. I have to admit, that it is really a mess ie, slum. you can see there are a few decorations in front of my garage door. I guess thats enough to get under someones skin.

PS wait till next Christmas what i've picked up so far will really drive them wild.. :laughing:

I hate to say it but if my house looked like that still at the end of March then I am sure I would be getting the same letters and I am sure it violates some ordinance. I would take a few hours and atleast get it down and put behind the house if I was you.

Ah, Christmas in March.

Something like this comes down to township laws or homeowners association rules. If either of them apply and none of them are confronting you, then you aren't doing anything wrong. On the other hand, I will say that there's probably too much of a good thing...many people get bugged when someone leaves a strand of Christmas lights on their gutters too long for example.

I'll admit, that after a while I get a little self-conscience about the way my yard looks if I leave things up for too long. But never once have I had anyone complain to me. This year I had everything down by Valentine's day...Woo-hoo, a new record!

As for property values, there's plenty of websites that can show you the recent selling prices for houses in your neighborhood. However, selling prices across the country have been going down due to the recession and the sub-prime market collapse...I am 75% sure that your house is not the full cause of that problem!!! So while those websites may show that prices are down in your neighborhood, it's surely not likely due to your house.

As for property values part 2 - I'm getting a little tired of hearing about that argument. It doesn't matter what new project is getting built, people complain that their property values will go down. If that was the case, houses should be going for about $89.99, plus tax. The reality of the situation is that very few things will reduce property values, and the houses that do lose value are limited to those that directly face or back to the structure in question.Ifa house in your neighborhood is for sale, there's some people that wouldn't want to live near to your65 million watt yard. But when the average housein your neighborhood, or town, or state, orcountrymay take 90 days and looked at by 25 different people before a buyer is found, it's real hard that the first 24 people will claim that your house is the sole reason why they wouldn't purchase that house.

Amazingly enough, for the few people that do decide to move because of something that they don't like, they'll often advertise that as a plus in their house description! (Close to shopping, highway access, etc)!!!

Guest TERBObob

I hate to say it but if my house looked like that still at the end of March then I am sure I would be getting the same letters and I am sure it violates some ordinance. I would take a few hours and atleast get it down and put behind the house if I was you.

Yeah ... ( and I am not defending anyone here )

But all of us do NOT live in WARM climates . As a matter of fact , I , myself , live where there is STILL over a foot of snow ( we had OVER 3 1/2 feet on the ground until last week ) and is JUST beginning to melt !

My lights are down , but there are somethings that are on the ground that simply can NOT be removed till the thaw sets in . ( ya know --- frozen solid to the ground , and if ya try and remove them , you BREAK 'em )

PS .... that house does NOT look bad at all . Not as bad as some folks that leave ALL their lights up ALL year round .

For the amount of items that fellow had on his property ... and living where he does , I think he did pretty good . And for those that think leaving a few items up till it gets feasible to remove ... I would LOVE to see you climb a ladder when on snow/icy ground , that high up , just to remove a few Christmas display items . ( yes , I looked at the picture of his house today , and seen there is is no snow , but , that also does not tell us WHEN the snow disappeared , either .:)

Ya know , it takes 8 weeks and longer for an adult ( middle aged ) for a wrist fracture to heal , and 3 weeks or less for a 5 yr old . and MUCH longer for a person over 60 .

As it is said ... its MUCH easier to THROW stones , then it is to have them thrown AT you !

Actually I'm on a slow dismantle. this year. I have checked with the city of glen cove there are noordinance on the books about decorations. So I';m not breaking any laws. Eventually everything will come down. just in time to start putting them back up. You know when its cold out you don't have the same ambition to take them down as you do when you put them up. But look at this picture of a complete display , I don't think I did so bad so far..

All I've got to say is if I'm around your area at Christmas time I want to see your house!!! I think you're being punked. Don't let something like that even slow you down for a minute. Your house is awesome. The kids and anybody else that sees your house at Christmas time has got to be in total amazement! I live in a warm climate (Texas) and my neighbor and I still have a couple of things that need to be picked up. Of course, we're so busy planning for next year that those little things keep getting put on the back burner! I think you should go computerized!!! Just think about each one of those blow molds twinkling or shimmering or fading!!! WooooooHooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

I agree that you do have most of it taken down, but I have to admit that it would drive me crazy if I had to look at it out my window this time of year. No I would not go to the extreme of putting a letter in the mailbox, but I just might offer my assistance on helping you remove the rest of it. The letter made it sound like your yard is trashed, that isnt the case at all, your yard looks great it is just the front of the house.

Yes property values are going down across the country right now, it makes no difference who you are, the only good thing about that is if your not looking to move anytime soon, at least your property taxes are also going down. Mine went down 100 bucks this last year.( awww maybe that is because of the neighbor 2 doors down that does have a trashed yard, and she is a realtor) her yard is also the only one that hardly ever has anything out of place.

Yes I would be upset with the letter but try to remember all the happy faces your decorations give to many many people. Like someone else mentioned I dont think I would respond to much to the letter as it is a chance of opening a can of worms.

mliquori, If you checked with the city and you ain't breaken no rules don't worry about one letter. I like the idea with the daughters boyfriends band. If you would like you can move to small town Iowa and we would be happy to have you and your display. Good luck , I've seen your house on one of the Christmas shows and it is way kool.