Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Santas Helper

Geting Lasik (PRK) eye surgery tomorrow

I'm finally putting my eyes on the line and in someone else's hands.

I'm gettingvisioncorrective laser surgery. It's the PRK version because my astigmatism is so bad in my right eye.

Has anyone else gone thru this? And if so, any words of wisdom or advise during the healing process?

Thanks guys and I'll "seeeeeeeee" you later, er better:],

Tom

P.S. Paul Sessel said I must get this done in order to get the full effect of his LEDs that I ordered.:laughing:

Santas Helper wrote:

I'm finally putting my eyes on the line and in someone else's hands.

I'm gettingvisioncorrective laser surgery. It's the PRK version because my astigmatism is so bad in my right eye.

Has anyone else gone thru this? And if so, any words of wisdom or advise during the healing process?

Thanks guys and I'll "seeeeeeeee" you later, er better:],

Tom

P.S. Paul Sessel said I must get this done in order to get the full effect of his LEDs that I ordered.:laughing:

Tom,

That last line was funny. :laughing:

I'll pray for you and your LEDs. :]

Good luck. I know of several people who have had it done and they totally have loved it. So far I dont know of anyone that has had any complications.

Had lasik couple of years ago with Dr. Matskin in Atlantafor my over 40 eyes! Wish I had done it 10 years sooner! The only problem I have is I'm not able to do fine needlework anymore without a magnifier (linen 28 thread to inch). One eye was made near and the other far. Would I do it again? Absolutely! I have worn glasses or contacts since 6th grade. No more do I say "Where are my glasses? No more putting contacts in every morning. Just to wake up and be able to see the clock clearly or the person standing across the room from you, is wonderful.

As far as the particular technique--not sure which I had. But I understand the fear. I am a nurse and you have to have your eyes and hands to work. It was a relatively painless quick procedure. Only thing is I had to keep my eyes shut for 6 hours and rest. You didn't have a problem with that because they felt like you had been up too long or had been outside without your sunglasses for too long. Next morning, viola! 20/20 vision!

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you will be as happy as I was with mine. Rhonda

P.S. If you have hypertension, make sure it stays well under control so your risk of bleeding is less. Take your routine medications with you to your appt.Would also ask around, see if anyone you know has had it done with this M.D. and how they felt (ask nurses, they usually know!). Also how seasoned is the M.D.--how many times has he done this procedure? Does he answer your questions to your satisfaction or does he appear rushed?Just a few things to consider.

Tom,

David had his eyes done about 5 years ago and has no problems at all. Major astimatism also, and couldn't see anything up close without contacts or glasses. He only needs geezer glasses for fine print, in fact, I starting to think his eyesight is better than mine now. I'm up to 1.50's for reading, so the laser is in my future for sure.

tom,

i had my eyes done about 5 years ago, best money i could ever spend hands down....

after you get it done, go to a relatively dark place, (basement) and take a vicadin (not sure how to spell it ) that is what they prescribed me , 1 pill i think, go to sleep as soon as possible, if you stay awake and look around in amazement of what you have not been seeing all the while will give you the same effects as looking at a person welding without a mask, very painfull. you will love it, the only flipside i have noticed since lasik, is 1) a halo ring around every light, street light, headlights, etc. the first couple of months after surgery , 2) my eyes are very sensitive to gasoline and diesel exhaust makes them tear up bigtime, at least it has gotten better, i work around construction equipment daily,, .. other than that , i wish i would have done it years before i did.. you will literally see things you never seen before, but i can say this my led lights did make me a little dizzy watching them flicker this season with the display... lol, laugh but it really did, hope everything goes well, it will be the best money you have ever invested in yourself i promise... jason:waycool:

Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for the support, advise, prayers and thoughts. I'm really looking forward to seeing without glasses.

I'll post info about my visit and how things are goingin the next couple days and let you know how things went.

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom,

I get my eyes done on Monday the 31st. I am also getting the PRK version. I got my name drawn from a hat so I get mine for free! Normal cost around here is $2100 per eye. It's like winning the lottery. They told me they will have a band-aid contact lens on for 3 days which should be enough time for the cornea to grow its new skin. Just make sure you wear really good UV protective sunglasses from day one.

I am taking a week off from work as withthis type of surgery you need to be a little more careful.

Good Luck,

James

Guest Jeff_Womack

Tom and everyone else coming up for surgery congrats! It was life changing for me. I had LASIK almost 3 years ago and after my week of healing I have had no problems. Best thing I ever did. My vision went from 20/400 to 20/13 within 60 days of surgery. Before they put me down in the chair I couldn't read the exit sign in the room with me. Less than 5 minutes later I could read that sign, it was a bit blurry but hey it was 5 minutes. The surgery is painless and quick. Each eye took about 20 seconds, the rest of the time was lining everything up. I hope you have as good of results as I did.

Edit: Oh yeah, having some books on CD to listen to in your dark place would be great. TV is too bright and for me, I can only sleep so much.

Jeff

Jeff,

Did you get Mono Vision or did you get both eyes done for long distance? I opted for mono as I wear bi-focals and I do alot of computer work and paper work so it just seemed the logical choice.

James

Tom, I'm jealous. I want pictures, like your trip to the Pole. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

Guest Jeff_Womack

James,

I guess mine was for distance as I didn't wear bi-focals. I should make a clarification. The best my vision got was 20/13, now I am at 20/20 in both eyes. The price of getting older! :}

Well guys (blink),

I made it (blink, blink),

I'm in my computer room with lights off (blink) wearing sunglasses and (blink) typing very slow. The computer moniter is almost to bright (blink) but managable (blink).

The only thing is (blink), my eyes feel like sand (blink blink) paper makingme blink just a little (blink).

I'll post more later (blink)but now togive my eyes a rest.

Tom (blink)

Guest Jeff_Womack

Tom if you still have a CRT use that instead of a LCD. That helped me.

tom you have basically flash burn just like welding without a mask, the only way to remedy this is really trying to go to sleep and give your eyes a rest,

Tom I am glad to hear the surgery went well for you. Let me know if it helps out on being able to read better. I hope to have it done in about a year. Without contacts I can wear a pair of 200 cheaters and see perfect but still need 150s with contacts. I dont believe it changes that all that much but maybe I am wrong. Would love to hear more from people that have had it done.

Tom,

He lives! He sees! Welcome back! Let us know how you are doing after you rest your eyes. I have been praying for you.

Hello All,

While my eyes still hurt reading the monitor, I can see the keyboard a little easier. So if I miss spell, tough :).

I had to take off a couple days from the computer because I couldn't stand not reading and the intense brightness. The PRK is an animal to recon with. Have patience and try to sleep. Niehter I like to do a lot of.

Today I was able to sit around without my sunglasses on. I take my drops as the doctor ordered and listen to music. Yes, I'm listening to what I hope to sequence later. It's been a very slow process. I can't rub my eyes, I can't hardly read the paper and I watch blurry TV. BUT, it's getting a little better each day. The main gripe is wearing contacts to protect my eyeballs. My eye lids are killing me. I've never worn contacts before so I can feel them evey time I blink. But Aleve does helps. The meds they originally gave me made me kinda sick to the tummy.

I can see better as a whole and the doc said when I get my contacts out, I will notice a bigger change. That will happen Tuesday. I've watched a lot of TV and my lazyboy has been a dear friend to me, espeically for the driops 4 times a day.

The hard part is over I think. Now it's just a matter of time, gosh it better be :)

Anyway, I want to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers (fromt eh ones I could read). It's a really nice feeling, it really is.

Back to the doctor on tueasday, till then, time for some more drops.

talk to you soon.

Tom

P.S. I'm not even going to try to proof read this thing :0, it still kind painful.

Tom, hopefully they get better every day. Who cares if you misspell some words. Dont we all from time to time?

Maybe you are feeling the contacts because of the sandy feel in the eyes. The first time I put contacts in I didnt feel them. When they dry out I do, which I do have dry eyes so drops sure help that a lot. maybe when I get mine done I will have to plan a vacation on the beach. I wont be able to stand not being on the computer for more than a few days along with other things.

Good luck

Hi Tom!

Wishing you all the best. Keep us posted. I would love to have lasik but unfortuantely my insurance doesn't pay for it. I also have aastigmatism.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the kind words, prayers and thoughts.

Well I got those stinking contacts out today and my eyes feel better. But my vision is still a little blurry. The doc saidby the time Paul Sessel ships your LEDs :shock:, your vision will get better (heck that's over another month,I hope theyget better :?), and they are, a little at a time. The sensitivity isn't as bad but I still use only little time on the computer. The squinting gets old fast.

A short little note on how the procedure went. I was more scared of the procedure than I should have been. The doc explained every little detail going on during the surgery and told me what I would expect. That was very comforting and eased my nervousness some along with the Valium. First, he numbs your eyes, taps back the eye lids and puts in a retainer to keep you from blinking. Then he applies a small rotating brush like thing to scare the surface of the eye. Then he puts the machine over your eye and tells you to focus on a red light. 30 seconds later my left eye was done. I could smell just a hint of flesh/tissue during during that time. Then comes the right eye. He numbed it up again just to make sure and the laser process took about 45 seconds because of the amount of astigmatism (my worst eye). Then it was done. I thought, that wasn't so bad. After each eye, he swabbed and sprayed water to clean them out. From start to finish, I bet I wasn't in the chair longer than 5 or so minutes. The actual procedure was much better than I originally was nervously thinking it was. Then he plopped in the protective contacts gave me some drops and I was off on my way. The next day he saw me and said everything looked great, then 5 days later (today), the contacts were removed.

Probably everything I just described is the same for the basic Lasik except the contacts are used with PRK along with longer healing time. I'm happy with this so far. Even though my eyes are little blurry/hazy, I can still see better than without my perscription glasses. Heck I put them on earlier and it was really blurry. So yeah, I'm happy.

Just a note, if you have to get the PRK version, plan to be off 5 or more days, especially if you have an office or driving job. Don't plan to drive either. I could probably take tomorrow off (my 6th day) but I'm going in and see if I can put in a full day, something I haven't done in quite some time :laughing:. Each person is different with their ability to heal so it might be less or more, just keep that in mind.

Anyway, there you have it. Probably the most important thing is rent out movies BEFORE you get it done. Lots of movies. I didn't and just relied on TV shows which sometimes was pretty boring.

Again, I thank you for everyone and their thoughts, prayers and kind words.

I'm sure I left something out but hope this helps others thinking about getting Lasik/Lasik PRK done.

Oh, LASIK PLUS is where I had my eyes done and they have 18 months free financing or longer terms with small rates. Check it out as I know I didn't have the funds to pay for it up front Heck, I have the LOR sale comming up :waycool:.

If you're thinking about it and need it, then do it!!!

Edit: during the procedure, I didn't feel hardly any pain. Just wanted to add that in for the ones thinking about getting it done.

Tom