Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Santas Helper

Geting Lasik (PRK) eye surgery tomorrow

Guest Jeff_Womack

Tom,

Glad to hear you are up and back at it! I wonder if you couldn't have gotten it via the Guard, probably not. Mine were done at Wilford Hall. There's hardly any AF people in SA with glasses or contacts anymore! :] One of my guys had it and six months later was deployed to the desert. He was so happy not having to wear the inserts and could waer normal sunglasses.

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Tom,

Glad to hear you are up and back at it! I wonder if you couldn't have gotten it via the Guard, probably not. Mine were done at Wilford Hall. There's hardly any AF people in SA with glasses or contacts anymore! :] One of my guys had it and six months later was deployed to the desert. He was so happy not having to wear the inserts and could waer normal sunglasses.

Thanks Jeff,

If only the Guard paid for it... Since I'm civil service, I have to rely on local insurance to pay for it, which I'll submit once I get the bill. Hopefully Blue Cross/Blue Shield sees it my way :P.

If I were AGR, the military would have done it for free or cheap anyway if I traveled down south. Maybe I should have been put on orders :].

Yes, normal sunglasses is what I'm looking forward to if it ever stops raining here :laughing:.

Tom

Guest Jeff_Womack

For us if you are not located with a RK center like Lackland, it is a permissive TDY and you have to stay a week. Lackland does a good job of greasing the wheels though for billeting.

Tom, I'm glad it went well for you. I've been thinking about getting Lasik for the past two years..would love to be able to not wear glasses or contacts.

Would appreciate you posting again once you're all finished healing..I'm hoping you'll be a good guinea pig. The thought of having them tape my eyelids back, using a little wheel..yioooow, sounds kinda nasty? The pain part doesn't really bother me, but not being able to blink does (weird, eh?)

Good Luck Steve,

And I think you'll do fine.

It's been 2 weeks now since I had my eyes done and things are much better. My eyes are still healing so I don't have 20/20 (yet)but I can see clearer and the computer doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

You'll be glad you got it done.

Tom

Well the surgery itself went very well! Had a bit of a problem afterwards though...

This morning as the pain killers wore off my left eye started to hurt. It just started getting bad while I was at the doctor's for a follow-up. He said that was normal for me to have a bit of discomfort, put a few numbing drops in it and sent me on my way. An hour later I was crying out in pain, and my fiancée took me back to the doctor's. Turns out the protective contact lens was inside out! The doctor flipped it and now I feel fantastic! My vision is pretty good, just a bit blurry. I had 20/40 when he checked this morning. He said it'll get worse tomorrow, then better the next day.

So far so good!

Steve,

That's great to hear you're feeling better after the painful lens issue. I took Aleve after a couple days and then stopped taking it a couple days later. Now I just put a million drops in each eye every day. That part is kinda getting old :laughing:.

It will get better & bettershortly, I promise.:waycool:

Tom

Hey Tom,

How is your vision. I had PRK done two weeks ago tomorrow and I'm still quite out of focus. I can see shapes ok but reading is till difficult and I can't seem to get focused yet. Just looking for some comparisons.

James

James Peachee wrote:

Hey Tom,

How is your vision. I had PRK done two weeks ago tomorrow and I'm still quite out of focus. I can see shapes ok but reading is till difficult and I can't seem to get focused yet. Just looking for some comparisons.

James

Hey James,

I'm in the same boat as you. I can see but still have a little blurriness. It's not really bad but enough to squint a little trying to adjust. I'm still doing my 2 different drops 4 times a day but the moisture drops I haven't done because my eyes haven't been drying out. Lets stay in touch since we both seem to be in the same boat. Speaking of boat, I watched a full day of season 3, "Deadliest Catch". Awesome show even if it is a touch blurry :]. I would love to do that for one day, just one good day.

Tom

I was watching (squinting) the same thing. DC is one of my favorite channels and deadliest catch was totaly awesome!

I see the doctor tomorrow afternoon. As of last Wed. I was seeing 20/50 in both eyes. I got mono vision as I wore bifocals and I didn't want to wear reading glasses. I'm just hoping for some improvement.

I'm down to just one drop (PRED FORTE)3x daily. I do moisture drops tons as my eyes are a little dry.

James

Santas Helper wrote:

James Peachee wrote:

Speaking of boat, I watched a full day of season 3, "Deadliest Catch". Awesome show even if it is a touch blurry :]. I would love to do that for one day, just one good day.

Tom

Hey Tom, glad to hear you are feeling better! Same here, although I can see just fine, I had nothing better to do except watch Discovery all day.

The thought about myself wanting to do that has also crossed my mind, but for more then one reasons, me not liking the cold, (I prefer 100deg over 32deg) is the number one reason. But I did think it would make an AWESOME ride! Remember the part in Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo, where they found each other but got caught up in the fishing net (SWIM DOWN!)? Yea, Disney can tell the story from the fisherman's perspective, before they got to Sidney. I know its a long stretch, possibly better for Universal or Disney's Hollywood Studios, but its one of my good ideas......

--Daniel L

(Sorry To Hijack the thread...)

Tom,

As you have probably heard from your doctor it will be about 6weeks to 3 months before my eyes settle down and hopefully see right. It's not an enjoyable time for me. All I can do is try to be patient. Easier said than done.

Hope your eyes are progressing better than mine. My doc says my eyes are too dry so I get to put more stuff in my eyes at night, FUUUUUNNNNN!!!! :)

Later!

James

Hey James,

I hope it doesn't take that long for you. My eyes are still a little blurry (3 1/2 weeks after) but seem to get better with time, slowly. My eyes haven't been too dry so it's less drops but I still try to keep them lubed up in hopes to heal faster. I go for my 4 week follow-up this Thursday. Stay in touch. We're writing what others might read and learn from.

So far, no regrets :).

Tom

Tom,

As you have probably heard from your doctor it will be about 6weeks to 3 months before my eyes settle down and hopefully see right. It's not an enjoyable time for me. All I can do is try to be patient. Easier said than done.

Hope your eyes are progressing better than mine. My doc says my eyes are too dry so I get to put more stuff in my eyes at night, FUUUUUNNNNN!!!! :)

Later!

James

Hey Tom,

Just an update. Looks like my right eye overcorrected a bit and I may have to go thru another correction in a couple of months. I am also getting some "Hazing of the cornea" that may cause a problem down the line. My left eye is now 20/20 and is my reading eye as I had mono vision done so that's the good news. As the doctor said, I'm just one of those rare instances when something like this happens. I'm not worried too much as he did stick a lens in front of my eye and I could see clearly, so that was encouraging.

Hope your eyes are doing better.

Later!

James

my DH's surgery went great! very little blurring first couple of days no halos nada! and he is 20/20! just a little dry eye every now and again but he had that before!

Hey James, glad to "see" you're doing good. I went in for my one month visit last Thursday. I'm still a little blurry but the doc said it was normal and to give it a few more weeks. He's going to wait about 2 months to fully check everything to see if any enhancements need to be done. He said by then, I should be fully healed to tell whether I need it or not.

So your right eye is over corrected? Does that mean you have x-ray vision now? LOL (wouldn't that be the ticket). Well hange in there, these docs know their stuff after thousands of proceedures.

I'm very happy I got it done already and I'm not even fully healed. The best part? I'm not wearing glasses and I can see better than before without glasses.

Stay in touch,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Just an update. Looks like my right eye overcorrected a bit and I may have to go thru another correction in a couple of months. I am also getting some "Hazing of the cornea" that may cause a problem down the line. My left eye is now 20/20 and is my reading eye as I had mono vision done so that's the good news. As the doctor said, I'm just one of those rare instances when something like this happens. I'm not worried too much as he did stick a lens in front of my eye and I could see clearly, so that was encouraging.

Hope your eyes are doing better.

Later!

James

Hey Tom,

Well, I'm finally getting on the right road to recovery. My right eye had an ulcer on the cornea, which was not fun, as it felt like i had tons of sand in my eye. But I went to the Doc yesterday and he said it is repairing itself and should be much better the coming week. My eye sight is now 20/25 in my right eye with some blurriness and my left is 20/20 with a little blurriness. For me it's been a long road but it seems to be getting better and that is all I care about, the end result.

How are your eyes seeing now a days?

Later!

James

Hey James,

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. How does an ulcer happen on the cornea? Is it just something that happens? Or is it caused by sequencing light shows :eek:.

Anyway, I'm going pretty good. My situation sounds pretty simular to yours, almost exactly. I still have a little blurriness in both eyes but they seem to get better and better. A slow process but worth it already.

Yep, the end result. :)

Tom

Tom,

Glad to hear you are also seeing better.

An Ulcer is caused by the over abundance of Meds, plus a contact lens and a little dry eye. Lucky it healed over within 2 to 3 days. I still feel it but not like last Saturday when I couldn't keep my eyes open!

Oh yea, I've been trying to do some sequencing. FORGET IT! IT HURTS TOO MUCH TO STARE AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN! I've even been wearing sunglasses to do computer work at work.

Later!

James

James,

You might need to slow er down on the meds LOL.

I have a hard time keeping my eyes open even before the surgery LOL.

My eyes can handle the computer a lot better now. I can sequence like normal but with regular usage of the computer, I still have to take a break from it. Maybe I'm just getting older. :)

Later,

Tom,

This will be my last update for a while. My right eye did not correct the way we were hoping and it ended up being 20/60. Much better than the 20/400 it was but still not acceptable. The doctor can only get it to 20/30 with a contact lens. So, reluctantly he will be going back in and doing another correction. It just goes to show you that nothing is perfect and things sometimes don't turn out the way you would like but i do believe the next correction will be what We want. He is bending over backwards to get it all right and he truely cares and wants to make it right. The next surgery will probably be in August and I sure hope it goes well as I really need to see my computer to set up the show!

That's it for now. Are you seeing clearly yet?

Later!

James

Hey James,

Sorry to hear about your current situation. Hope the following visit gets everything better.

I have my follow up a week from this Thursday. He will do a full blown inspection of my eyes. Currently, my distance vision is better. But I'm using reading glasses I bought from Wal-Mart for computer and regular reading. The Doc warned me ahead of time this would probably happen. He said I would be going to bi-focals if I didn't get the PRK. So at least I don't wear glasses all the time like I used to. It makes it nice since I wear a mask while scaring folks in the Dungeon LOL.

I'll post again after my next doctor visit as well. I see an enhancement coming myself.

Take care and I'll be looking for a future post. Hope all goes well. Good luck.

Hey Tom,

Good luck to you also. I may have my Doc redo my left eye and make it far sighted. I figure that if they have to redo the right eye then I might as well get long vision and use reading glasses. Decisions, Decisions???

Take care

James

Hey Tom,

Well, I go in for my correction the 15th of September. The Doc said he will most likely under correct and just get it as close as possible. I still have a little astigmatism that needs to be corrected. I probably will end up wearing a low power contact in my right eye but that still is better than what I had.

How are your eyes doing?

Later!

James