Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Chase!

Nevada Welcome!

Hello new PC forums! Thought I would open up the Nevada thread and invite the other Nevada people to use this area of the forums!

Hello neighbor! I hear you guys enjoying your outdoor get-a-way.

Are your plans for 2008 coming together?

Welcome mystika, There is more, As of 2007 show I know of two more in our area and Wayne Kremer in Gardnerville, Winner a few years ago in the light-O-Rama contest.Do you have any video's of your show?

Carlo

hey guys i know most of the roofs here in las vegas are ceramic tiles are you guys scared to get up there cause im moving this summer to a new house and its a two story and im putting a inflatable on the roof this christmas and i was just wondering if its scary to get up on the roof

Hey guys! Just found this forum. Glad to see our neighbors to the south are active. Everyone's display items getting dreamed up or built right now? I'm having another heck of a time getting away from working on the backyard landscaping to do some Christmas stuff. I just started designing things....hmmmm....running a bit late....

Hello all, Vegas here, I know of three PC members here in town all of which use

Light O Rama.

My display is going to be very simple this year because I am working in Elko for the season, so my house plans in Vegas have been interupted, Last year we had 180 channels of led's including a 48 channel four color mega tree. Oh well there is always next year. Ho Ho Ho

Hello guys, newbie here. I have always done large static displays, but it's starting to get boring. I am looking at going LOR for 2009, too late for this year. Any suggestions for next year? I would love to come by and see what you have done. Wayne, I used to live in Gardnerville, my dad is a doctor there. I visit often and would love to see your setup.

Hello Nevada People Well finally pulled almost everything out of storage, and ready to start in next week with hanging lights and helping my neighbor Carlo as well. Still have yet to make some minor changes to programming but I am hoping it will all come together. Its been a rough road getting into doing the show but we are finally getting rady to rock n roll.

Best,

Chase

Got one here in Tonopah too.

A LOR setup. Just did a Halloween show. I have everything up and ready to go for Christmas. Had to do it a little early, I will be in Vegas getting sergury done and wont be able to do anything the first couple weeks of December. This is my first year, purchased the LOR last November but did not use it.

Been sequencing songs all year. I have 35 for the CHristmas show. I will be playing different ones every night with all playing Friday and Saturday.

All I have to do is start the computer out in the garage and its good to go. Finished my yard sign today.

Hope all will be well with your surgery, I used to live in Hawthorne. Too bad you couldn't sneak your display up to the tv towers you could see it from the top of the Luxor in vegas.lol

Well the display has been up-n-running for a couple of nights now. I think I have most of the gremlins worked out. (All the bugs of a theme park) I guess I can safely stop lurking and join the ranks. :)

Leon

Time now to update the website I've been avoiding. :rolleyes:

Edited by WWNF911

So who has display's in Vegas? My parents are there and I want to send them out to view some. Please send addresses or websites.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

So who has display's in Vegas? My parents are there and I want to send them out to view some. Please send addresses or websites.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

If they want to travel about an hour they can come see ours in Mesquite we are about 1hr

north on I15. Check our website for directions.

http://www.christmaslightfinder.com/search.php lists four shows. I don't remember how I found this originally, though...

We've been to http://digitallights.dhall.us

It's great! Fairly easy to find and one bit actually made me laugh out loud.

vegaschristmas.net is no longer in town.

http://www.constantinolights.com/index.html

Next year, there will be a Vixen controlled display near the Rainbow Curve. :)

Hey there, new to PC and to light animation, live in vegas, names Darren.

I attempted to do a small animated light set-up this year using the Gemmy system found at sams club. It had 12 programmed channels set with motion and music. The only problem is they dont hold very much power. I didnt go nuts on my static display this year because i wanted everything to move, but, i kept overloading those units and frying the ciruit boards...oops lol. So, after blowing those up a few times, i ended up with just a modest static display for xmas. Looking forward to doing an LOR set-up for next year, possibly a 32 channel to start... maybe more. Heres a pic of the stuff i threw up this year. A couple of the things you cant see in the picture; I have a projector with snowflakes that fall down the house, and i have metallic snowflakes on the garage that they reflect off of.

IMG00137.jpg

My wife Laura and I have lived in Vegas our whole life. We love it here. We also love Christmas here.

We are mostly into Inflatables but we do have a few lights.

As with all others, our display gets bigger each and every year.

Maybe some time all of us in Nevada can get together for lunch or something.

Nice to see a good group in Nevada.

Here was my static from this year. Didnt get too crazy as its a rental and the owner didnt like the idea of that many lights on the house. (bah humbug) I used my gemmy 6 channel and 3 3 foot trees, nothing exciting but i was one of the only houses decorated in my neighborhood... what a lame complex i moved in to. I added 2 more tigger inflatables after this photo was take. Forgot to retake it

47591_177564292265616_100000361398319_465598_7632049_n.jpg

Edited by Darren

Just checking in to say hi to everyone living in vegas. I have been living out in the northwest part of town for about 6 years and upt o this year my christmas displays have been static.

I am looking forward to adding some LOR controllers maybe 32-48 channels for 2011. If i get the time i also will do maybe something for halloween but with 2 young girls

i am always on the go......

Edited by martinmc

Good Morning Ryan!

Good to see you have got started and looking forward to seeing your great display this year.

We are adding more electrical circuits today and are going to start with the lights next week and the Inflatables the week after.

Our official light up night is Thanksgiving day.

This is going to be a great year!