Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Lyman Rate

Kansas

Jason - What truck did you get? Hope you get everything done and all goes well.

HO HO HO!

Work truck, finally found a Chevy 3500HD with a 14 foot dump bed and tommy lift. That's been my "perfect truck" for my lawn biz that I've been looking to buy for about 10 years. It's a '95 but only has 50,000 miles and is in excellent condition.

Hey all! glad to hear most of you are doing well on your displays! I hope as well to get out and about to see some of the local displays around kansas....Hope you can all make it out to mine this year...Located at douglas and St Paul st in wichita. Open 6-10 nightly. All lor of course...Over one million lights, Over 800 channels, 300 mini trees, and a awesome 24 jet water display! The list goes on!.....Hope to see you all there! Bring the kids out for santa!

Kale

Hiya folks! We're up and running in Lawrence with a few hundred channels. ;) If you're in the area, drop by at 1132 Parkside Circle and catch the show.

Thanks to Youtube's 10 minute clip limit I failed my first attempt at uploading this year's video, but I'll get it up on Vimeo shortly.

In the meantime, all I have to offer is a closeup clip of our Firefly arches doing Wizards:

http://www.vimeo.com/2522623

Nicely done Gary. Also see you got more Parkside Christmas video posted. Looks like it was shot last Friday or Saturday when we had all that wind. Thanks for posting it.

Don't know if we'll be able to make it over to Lawrence this year, but will sure put it on our to-do list for next year.

Very nice Gary....we'll have to head your way one of these nights! I only watched about 2 minutes of video, as I don't like watching video of displays before seeing it. As you know, video doesn't do any display much justice. So I like to see them in person if possible, then watch the video later! :-)

This was my first time this year, but please come check ours out in Gardner. Directions and details are on the website in signature.

Oh and if you haven't seen Tim's....he's done some awesome additions this year!

There's one more that I know of, in Leawood (Kryger) that's on my site too if you want to hit a few in the same trip!

Merry Christmas all!

Wichita...well if I get anywhere closer to there I for sure want to stop....and will do my best to do so. Sounds incredible! I can't imagine sync'ing and setting up 800+ channels and a million lights!!! How many people help you?

Ours is going to, if you're ever on the South side of KC, swing through Gardner. First year, so 32 channels....but hey, gotta start somewhere, right?! :-)

Merry Christmas!

Hey all! glad to hear most of you are doing well on your displays! I hope as well to get out and about to see some of the local displays around kansas....Hope you can all make it out to mine this year...Located at douglas and St Paul st in wichita. Open 6-10 nightly. All lor of course...Over one million lights, Over 800 channels, 300 mini trees, and a awesome 24 jet water display! The list goes on!.....Hope to see you all there! Bring the kids out for santa!

Kale

Over one million lights, Over 800 channels, 300 mini trees, and a awesome 24 jet water display! The list goes on!.....Hope to see you all there!

Kale

It must be nice to live in the south of Kansas where it's warm and you can run a water display:). Do you have a website that gives more details about your display or posted videos? I'd really like to see them, because driving three hours to Wichita and back probably won't happen this year.

It must be nice to live in the south of Kansas where it's warm and you can run a water display:).

That's kinda what I wonder about. I didn't know that "south Kansas" was warmer than north! :rolleyes: And it hasn't been above freezing here, other than yesterday afternoon, for over a week! Same temps here and in wichita... Maybe he adds a lot of RV antifreeze, or fills the whole thing using widshield washer fluid? :confused:

Yep, 404 not found...

Hope you didn't try to post actual music with your display! Since youtube turned communiust you can't post anything with "copyrighted" music on it or else they just delete your videos and eventually ban you from youtube.

Get a VIMEO account and post your videos there. No worries aobout them beig deleted and they usually work better and can be better quality on Vimeo.