Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
djmille

Anybody here ?

Welcome Ken, the litedriver reminds me of the Radio Shack color organ I made as a kid. I still have it and I think that it planted the seed for my display today. Use to spend hours as a kid listening to my albums and watching the colored lights go to the music. Came across this 20 channel color organ a while back and it just blows me away. Think this would look awsome in the middle of a wreath.

Hi Paul,

Sorry it took so long here. I need to be a bit more diligent about looking in the Search window.

Anyhow, you're right on with the wreath idea, that would be very cool.

My kids and I have played with setting lights in a pattern, we always end up with up with random except for the roof line. Maybe just a lack of creativity on our part :rolleyes:.

You take care.

Ken

Boy am I late on this thread. I'm still here in Bend OR. Had our first snow on the 4th, has'nt warmed up since. Weatherman saying a chance of snow Monday, this is way to early. I hope to get to the valley sometime this season to see some of the displays you guys have. I'll have to watch the Oregon threads a little close now.

Keith

Edited by KBoas
add name

This thread won't go away! It's still here 1.5 years after it started. OK, should we start another Oregon thread on display setup status? I'm getting out the Mega Tree parts this weekend!

OK, somebody elses turn ....

Thought I'd put my "howdy" in the pot. I spend most of my time over at doityourselfchristmas.com and just got my parts to build my boards. Hopefully by next year I'll have ~48 channels to work with. I'm in Hillsboro also so I hopefully will get around to checking out ya'lls displays!

Merry Christmas!

:121_reindeer:

ripbme,

Welcome, 48 channels sounds like your diving right in. Keep us posted on the progress, love to see others get bit by the bug. :D

Paul

Hi All

The Parks Family here in Carson, Wa. in the Columbia River Gorge checking in to say hello.

We are running 64 channels of Light-O-Rama again this year with four songs.

Last year we did not get much traffic, but through out the year the word has spread like weeds and we are getting our fair share of local resedent people coming by to see our display.

Its been a great turn out so far.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year

post-7847-129571180144_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paul... The wife and I drove by your place tonight. Very nice! Who does your voice over? I love the "Yellow Snow" song!

ripbme,

You should have rang the bell, chatted with Darin Miller and his wife who dropped by tonight as well. Could have had a party :D. The Demented Elf does the voice overs and I can't say enough good things about him. There is just something about Kevins voice that makes think of Christmas now. The Yellow Snow song was new this year along with Miracle on 34th Street and I'll be Home for Christmas.

Merry Christmas

Paul

Hello all;

I am gearing up for 2010. This my first year, but I have collected over 25,000 lights during the post-Christmas sales. I am saving up for LOR controllers next. I have about 25% LED (most are half wave Holiday Creations), and am trying to build out the display using my current power on the house... I may need to mix in more LEDs.

This is a great hobby, amazing to watch these creations.

Paul: How are you projecting the image into the ring on the Linus/Lucy video. Does it sync via LOR? DMX?

I live in West Linn, OR and will have pictures up outlining my progress. I hope to learn a ton from PC and pass on the Joy to our community.

Happy to be here!

Bryan

Hey all Oregonians! Looks like we will be pulling up our southern Oregon roots and be moving up to the Portland area this year. I have accepted a new job in the Portland area, so the Fam will be following me soon.

It looks like I will also have a new "canvas" for 2010. A close friend of mine does the Christmas ships every year, and it looks like we will be doing a nice animated display on his boat this year! Should be fun!

Hey all Oregonians! Looks like we will be pulling up our southern Oregon roots and be moving up to the Portland area this year. I have accepted a new job in the Portland area, so the Fam will be following me soon.

It looks like I will also have a new "canvas" for 2010. A close friend of mine does the Christmas ships every year, and it looks like we will be doing a nice animated display on his boat this year! Should be fun!

Right ON !!! Now we can light up all sides of the Portland area! What part of town are you going to reside?

Right ON !!! Now we can light up all sides of the Portland area! What part of town are you going to reside?

Darin,

No idea as of yet, any input would be great! I am in Wilsonville for the time being, but want to look for the best school system for the kids. Any input would be appreciated! I was kind of looking towards the south-west side, althoutgh Oregon city area doesn't seen too bad either, I was just told to stay out of the NE area, Gresham, ect,,

Towerman,

I'm on the west side, but it sounds like you have been told the correct schools to stay away from. Tualatin is pretty good, but I think you have to drive an Escalade as a 16 year old to fit in there. Oregon city is pretty good from what I hear, but I don't have first hand experience.

It's funny you mentioned the Christmas ships. I have a friend at work who owns a boat (28 ft) and his wife wants to join the Christmas ship parade for the Columbia River. Now I'm trying to figure how to mount some arches on his boat! We have a couple Honda eu2000i generators for power. Just what I needed; another thing to decorate!

West Linn and Lake Oswego have great schools, That is the primary reason we moved to West Linn.

Lots of kids here!

Darin,

Well, looks like we will be able to keep our roots in Southern Oregon. I very much enjoyed the job I held in Portland But I accepted another position in Southern Oregon that better suits my background. No pulling up roots, life should return back to some form of normal!

YO! It's Mini time! A month later than usual. We are soliciting topics. Everyone from Oregon is certainly invited!