Not subwoofers per sey, but one of my "bad" neighbor's complaints was that people would crank their radios, open the windows/doors and watch, sometimes outside of their car (considering our winter temps that's kind of surprising, but everyone here is used to it by Christmastime I guess...)

Although I hate doing this, I've been known to kill the transmitter if things get out of hand. That causes loud speaker-damaging static to go off in their cars, and you should see them run for the volume control. Unfortunately it also tends to drive away the good, considerate people...

-Tim

How about an 18 w/1200 watts! I have 2, 1 active and 1 passive but only use one in front of my house (actually hidden behind bushes.)

I only use this for Halloween. It's crossed over fairly low to handle the thunder.

subtz0.jpg:D:D:D:D:D

Great thread! ;)

That's one of the reasons I upgraded my transmitter to an FM-100b. Since it has a microphone jack, I can make live announcements to the crowd should they start to get "unruly". :)

I bought and built one this year too. Are you going to use the external antenna?

not for my Christmas show but ...

many years ago back in high school, I spent a big chunk of my lawn mowing money on a new stereo (150 watts per channel) then one day while at home alone, I ran both speakers out in the backyard, and turned on a tape (yeah, I know) that had about 10 minutes of blank space then music. I cranked it up and went for a walk. Turned out it could be heard nearly two blocks away. I returned home about 2 minutes before a nice man in a blue uniform knocked on the door asking about loud music. I was 17 and told him," sorry, I just wanted to see how loud it could really go and it would never be that loud again". He told me to keep the volume down and left. my folks never knew

back on topic

you really don't need the bass power of a subwoofer to get good sound out for the show. most around here will put some old speakers in a garbage bag and hide them in the yard and it works good, then of course there is the radio transmitter.

I had both last year and it worked out pretty well, however the speakers were only on for about the first hour and a half, we have a pretty good amount of foot traffic around here and that seemed to accomodate them very well. It wasn't very loud at all but could be heard from about the middle of the street. It was really a simple setup. I had a splitter that came out of the computer and sent the audio to a rack stereo system and to the transmitter. Then I just put a regular old light timer on the stereo, it came on about 10-15 minutes before and stayed on until around 8:00

as for folks that played thier car stereos loudly, they tended to be the ones who didn't stay very long anyways

Not subwoofers per sey, but one of my "bad" neighbor's complaints was that people would crank their radios, open the windows/doors and watch, sometimes outside of their car (considering our winter temps that's kind of surprising, but everyone here is used to it by Christmastime I guess...)

Although I hate doing this, I've been known to kill the transmitter if things get out of hand. That causes loud speaker-damaging static to go off in their cars, and you should see them run for the volume control. Unfortunately it also tends to drive away the good, considerate people...

-Tim

Seems like a nice big sign asking people to be friendly to your neighbors and limit the volume on their car radios might help?? Or you could also consider providing audio outdoors but put an array of outdoor speakers around the edge of yard where people are at but see YOU control the volume level so audience can hear it but the neighbors dont!

I dont use a subwoofer per say, but my participating neighbors have a great sound system. Last year they installed about 20 of those speakers that are made for outdoors and look like stones, so with that and strategic placement all over the yard, they lowered the volume which included the window rattling base of their subwoofers...

I thought about adding a subwoofer to my system, its just your standard $450 super sears boom box supposedly 400 watts per speaker and subs inside each speaker which requires 4 sets of wires per speaker but if you ask me... it could use a tad more bass, but then there really isnt a whole lot of bass to thump windows with the type of Christmas music I play. I got rid of the last of my hip hop/rap type Christmas songs in 2006 as boatloads of kids who now grow their hair long tell me rap and hip hop is now old school and nobody likes it anymore.

(Not to mention hip hop is so repetitive in beat, it makes for boring light shows).

• 4 weeks later...

Im out on bass for christmas lights, there is all of the obvious issues such as neighbor nuisance. I think it would be great if a song is intended to hear the bass with it but it's just not feasible. The way I look at it is use the songs even if they have bass and if a car has a good system that family will get to enjoy the bass and if not then I hate it for them, kind of mean I guess. :()

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody having any problems with people cranking their subs and Rattling your neighbor's windows? Not sure this is interesting enough for Chuck H., but it's not about Blowmolds.;)

Oh you are talking about the visitor's playing subwoofers. My neighbor has an array of like 5 each 15 inch 500 watt subwoofers set up in the yard. We dont quite turn it up enough to rattle the neigbor's windows but the the walking trail definately has a rich full bodied sound.

Ironically I just acquired a very nice 5 speaker surround sound system with nice subwoofer thanks to Craigslist.org "free" section. It seems the more systems you can put in the yard and more and more speakers you can use, you dont have to turn your stuff up as loud to make it audible to people so we are definately on the hunt for Craigslist "FREE" speakers and stereo systems. People will give away nice stuff simply because the CD player skips a lot and cant be cleaned with a CD cleaner, well if you open it up, find the laser and rub it directly with a queue tip and rubbing alcohol you can get those CD's back into great condition!