LED PRE ORDER FROM CDI (update 5-20-08)

Dude:

You need help! (How do you get the smiley face in the message? - it keeps going to the Title line)

If you use the advanced editor, there's a white smiley face at the top, click that and you'll get a drop down of the Smileys (though it says "Generic Smilies." Chuck, is that the correct pluralization?)

Anyway, if you use that, it'll add it to your post rather than the title.

The really bad part is how sad I was when I woke up to find it was all just a dream...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use the advanced editor, there's a white smiley face at the top, click that and you'll get a drop down of the Smileys (though it says "Generic Smilies." Chuck, is that the correct pluralization?)

Anyway, if you use that, it'll add it to your post rather than the title.

The really bad part is how sad I was when I woke up to find it was all just a dream...

where is the advanced editor?

I have my editor set as the "Standard Editor."

You can change that by going to your Control Panel (on the left) then, Edit Options. The "Message Editor Interface" is the last option on the page.

Now whenever I click "Add Reply" I get this editor where you can add Smileys. Alternately, if you're doing the "Quick Reply," you can click the "Go Advanced" button to open up more options.

I have my editor set as the "Standard Editor."

You can change that by going to your Control Panel (on the left) then, Edit Options. The "Message Editor Interface" is the last option on the page.

Now whenever I click "Add Reply" I get this editor where you can add Smileys. Alternately, if you're doing the "Quick Reply," you can click the "Go Advanced" button to open up more options.

Thanks - I'll play around with that and see if I can get it the way I want it.

Thanks - I'll play around with that and see if I can get it the way I want it.

I was just reading about some companies that acquired factory space in both Mississippee and Alabama that are producing both LED and incandescent Christmas lights in the USA. It seems the weak dollar, very high cost of transporting goods across the ocean from China and unfavorable exchange rates between China and copper producing nations, etc that its now become approximately 35% cheaper to produce these items in the USA then to import them from China. Walmarts, Sears and Kmart will be stocking increasing percentages of American made Christmas lights as a result and the trend for it to be increasingly favorable for manufactured goods market to continue to erode from Asia to the United States is expected to continue across the board for the next several years. It seems weak dollar and very high oil prices are changing the world dynamics to be more favorable to have regional production of goods and less favorable for old buy cheap from around the world way we've done it the last 20 years.

You hear anything Paul about this? Does it look like in future years these volume purchase deals will be more about worrying about shipments of LED lights coming from Alabama instead of Shanzing Province? Seems like it would be easier and less chance of multimonth delays, etc.

Edited by Joseph Ayo

Out of curiousity - does anyone out there have a set of the M5 warm white (or two - looking for 100 bulbs total) that the could/would sell - defective/non lighting sets would be fine also - I'm looking for the LED's themselves to solder up for a project I'm working on.

I was just reading about some companies that acquired factory space in both Mississippee and Alabama that are producing both LED and incandescent Christmas lights in the USA. It seems the weak dollar, very high cost of transporting goods across the ocean from China and unfavorable exchange rates between China and copper producing nations, etc that its now become approximately 35% cheaper to produce these items in the USA then to import them from China. Walmarts, Sears and Kmart will be stocking increasing percentages of American made Christmas lights as a result and the trend for it to be increasingly favorable for manufactured goods market to continue to erode from Asia to the United States is expected to continue across the board for the next several years. It seems weak dollar and very high oil prices are changing the world dynamics to be more favorable to have regional production of goods and less favorable for old buy cheap from around the world way we've done it the last 20 years.

You hear anything Paul about this? Does it look like in future years these volume purchase deals will be more about worrying about shipments of LED lights coming from Alabama instead of Shanzing Province? Seems like it would be easier and less chance of multimonth delays, etc.

I have heard grumblings to that effect, but not that anyone has actually done it. With all that is going on in China, I fully expect that to happen - but I have not heard of it happening yet. Where did you see that? Who is doing it?

Blah, blah, blah! Yes, yes I see! Whatever...

All I want to know is where is that container ship from China now? Is it here yet?!? ;)

Alright Chuck, settle down. I was suppose to get two 40 foot containers of LED's. Due to some adjusting of the rectifiers, they have taken up more space than originally thought. So. . . I have a 40 foot container due in the week of July 15th, a 20 foot container due in the last week of July and the final 40 foot container due in the second week of August. Because of the screwy way they are packing these containers, I will only be able to ship out about 20% of the pre-orders with the first container, about 30% of the pre-orders with the second 20 foot container and the remaining 50% with the last container.

One little secret I can tell everyone, next year we are working on putting the rectifier inside the male and female plug. This should be a huge benifit to everyone. More to come on that - later. I due appreciate everyone's patience on this order.

Alright Chuck, settle down. I was suppose to get two 40 foot containers of LED's. Due to some adjusting of the rectifiers, they have taken up more space than originally thought. So. . . I have a 40 foot container due in the week of July 15th, a 20 foot container due in the last week of July and the final 40 foot container due in the second week of August. Because of the screwy way they are packing these containers, I will only be able to ship out about 20% of the pre-orders with the first container, about 30% of the pre-orders with the second 20 foot container and the remaining 50% with the last container.

One little secret I can tell everyone, next year we are working on putting the rectifier inside the male and female plug. This should be a huge benifit to everyone. More to come on that - later. I due appreciate everyone's patience on this order.

Holiday Bright Lights already does this with thier LED strands. Not sure how good the rest of the light strand is....

Uggg,

Rectifiers built into the plugs?

Bad idea for my plans/displays.

I've just built a few 48 channel LOR enclosures using multi pin connectors that eliminates the 2 prong plugs which reduces size and makes set-up of my display much easier than having to plug in a 21 channel leaping arch with individual plugs for each segment and color. Each arch has 7 segments and 3 colors and 1 multi pin plug. Could you imagine 21 plugs coming off the end of one of these? YIKES! I can deal with relocating the fuses inside the enclosure but having to relocate the entire plug into the the enclosure is not practical if you're trying to keep the package as small as possible. Imagine 48 bulky plugs inside a 48 channel box so you can ease assembly using a multipin connector. I'm not in favor of "rectifier-in-plug" at all and would probably have to look elsewhere when making custom display features and purchasing LED strings in the future. PLEASE DON't do it.

About delivery times:

I wish I had known about the containers and times going all wonky before I scheduled my vacation for August 2nd thru the 10th. I was hoping my lights would be here so I could get the arches, Marty Fan, and others built during that time. Now it looks like I can stare at raw materials with no lights to put on them. Huge bummer.

Edited by Duke

I just bought 180 strings of Paul's lights used from a guy here in Houston, but still in their boxes new, this week. And WOW WOW WOW those bad boys are gorgeous, best looking LED's I have ever seen. I cant stop going out into my garage and turning them on every night. Creative Displays lights are worth the wait.

Paul, any word on the containers, I am a bit confused on what is in each, all of the LEDS in my order were mini style 100 count in red, green, blue and white. I am itching to get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its mid July already, lights start oging up in 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul, any word on the containers, I am a bit confused on what is in each, all of the LEDS in my order were mini style 100 count in red, green, blue and white. I am itching to get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its mid July already, lights start oging up in 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like your order will be on the last container that is shipping out of China on July 31. Than about 4 weeks to our door. Sorry for all the delays.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I ordered the exact same thing!!! :(

I don't suppose that MY red/green/blue/white 100-ct minis are in the FIRST container??? :P

Thats what I went for. Obviously I wasnt the only one that saw the usefulness and economy in buying 100 count lights. I cant understand why people want to bother with the 50, 60 and 70 count "shorties" and isnt that goofy that commercial grade is in 25 counts??? I would think commercial strings would be more like 150 or 200 light strings like they are on incandescent traditional strings.

Thats what I went for. Obviously I wasnt the only one that saw the usefulness and economy in buying 100 count lights. I cant understand why people want to bother with the 50, 60 and 70 count "shorties" and isnt that goofy that commercial grade is in 25 counts??? I would think commercial strings would be more like 150 or 200 light strings like they are on incandescent traditional strings.

They are 25 count so that when a light fails, you are only throwing out a set of 25 lights not, a set of 70 or 100. The shorter sets are also more versitile as far as design planning...

Are the "odd lots" (C7's specifically) still in container #1?

Yes - at least the C7 & C9's but. . . I really can't release any untill I get all the pre orders filled. I was hoping to do that in the middle of August but now it looks like I won't be able to release any of the "odd lots" until the end of August/first of September. When I do though, there will be well over 125 SKU's to choose from.

• 3 weeks later...

Just hooked up my network under the house so I have perminant cat5 outside in several locations, put together my first set of 6 LOR boxes (I'm a static display convert). Everything going good so far... connected 3 of the boxes with a few spare light strands from yrs before... and wow everything going as planned. We have lights! Now for some of them cool LED lights! ;)

So until then we're painting the house a Mint Green with med/dk Green Trim. Still haven't been able to talk the wife into painting front door Red.. or stripe the garage door with green/white/red. Just ain't going to happen. :D