Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
depper

The Demented Elf

I just wanted to throw this out there for the new people to animated light shows. If you want a professional sound to your shows, you should look into the voiceovers by The Demented Elf at www.thedementedelf.com His voiceovers are amazing and will bring an entertaining feel to your show. I paid $50 and got a lot of different voiceovers that I can use through out the season. So if anyone is thinking about doing this, I HIGHLY recommend it!

oh thanks i sure let you know if i need your services i see alot of people use your company.

Ive used The demented Elf too and hes great. My show would not be complete without him.

oh thanks i sure let you know if i need your services i see alot of people use your company.

I just wanted to throw this out there for the new people to animated light shows. If you want a professional sound to your shows, you should look into the voiceovers by The Demented Elf at www.thedementedelf.com His voiceovers are amazing and will bring an entertaining feel to your show. I paid $50 and got a lot of different voiceovers that I can use through out the season. So if anyone is thinking about doing this, I HIGHLY recommend it!

I am suprised others havent come forward offering something of the same.

You know well spoken people from England or Australia with a touch of accent would be a very popular voice in the United States. Also a voice that can speak spanish would be desirable too! Not cutting Elf, but wouldnt mind multiple voices during a show! Not only that but elf speaks and then a spanish women repeats him but in spanish for example. I kinda like the idea of an english woman speaker too!

I am suprised others havent come forward offering something of the same.

You know well spoken people from England or Australia with a touch of accent would be a very popular voice in the United States. Also a voice that can speak spanish would be desirable too! Not cutting Elf, but wouldnt mind multiple voices during a show! Not only that but elf speaks and then a spanish women repeats him but in spanish for example. I kinda like the idea of an english woman speaker too!

There you go wanting to outsource :) Actually I've done shows in both Australia and England.

Thak you everyone for the very kind words

It's like hiring a professional landscaper to come revamp your yard or going to home depot and getting the stuff and doing it yourself.

You can learn to do it yourself, there's software that will change your voice, ect. You can overlay music and sounds with audacity, ect. Spend a bunch of time and money doing that OR just drop a fifty and a few notes to the demented elf and get a great quality product. You can sit back, drink your beer, and enjoy life....

Just depends on what kind of person you are.....

"You can sit back, drink your beer, and enjoy life...."

Hey now... you can do this while making your own voiceovers too!:D

I totally agree with having The Demented Elf do all the voice overs is way simpler and easier and probably sound better! :cool:

Hey now... you can do this while making your own voiceovers too!:D

Yeah..you get the first few done then the rest start sounding slurred :D

There you go wanting to outsource :) Actually I've done shows in both Australia and England.

Thank you everyone for the very kind words

Actually locally I found someone that I know that speaks spanish very well and female voice. I thought occured to me to approach her to repeat some voices for elf. Maybe some others out there live in areas that have latino visitors to display might want the female spanish translation to Elf's words and do them for similar in a "complimentary to elf's" gig. Before I speak for someone I'd have to ask her if she's interested. And surely its a well spoken spanish voice but its not a professional or occupational voice.

Actually locally I found someone that I know that speaks spanish very well and female voice. I thought occured to me to approach her to repeat some voices for elf. Maybe some others out there live in areas that have latino visitors to display might want the female spanish translation to Elf's words and do them for similar in a "complimentary to elf's" gig. Before I speak for someone I'd have to ask her if she's interested. And surely its a well spoken spanish voice but its not a professional or occupational voice.

Joe, you also might want to ask me how I would feel with someone copying my work..... I wouldn't be happy about it, especially if they were charging to translate my work or doing it without my ok. I do not speak Spansih so if someone contacted me about doing a Spanish program I would have to say no. But to be honest in the 3 years of doing this no one has ever asked.

Maybe some others out there live in areas that have latino visitors to display might want the female spanish translation to Elf's words and do them for similar in a "complimentary to elf's" gig.

This is a GREAT idea for those who live in MEXICO!

I also have used The Demented Elf for my show. He is a true profssional, listed to my needs, was fast and very reasonably priced.

You can do it yourself ....but why? This is one area where everyone should consider "going to a pro"

Edited by gilv
typo

I have recently used The Demented Elf. I purchased the $50 package and he really delivered. What made it really great for me was I asked him if he could add an extra voiceover mentioning our troops overseas and their friends and family back home. I did this since last year my display was dedicated to my neighbors MP company that was stationed in <classified>. What he sent was a very nicely scripted voiceover. It sounded much better than what I thought would be nice to say.

However the icing on top was the voiceover that mentioned a generator. My paycheck has the Caterpillar logo on it and I asked him if it would not be too much trouble to add "Caterpillar" before generator and in a day I had the new and improved file.

He also came up with a station ID for me since I'm not creative enough to come up with my own.

I highly recommend Kevin and his services.

Let's get back to talking about BEER! BTW whats this post about???

I agree Demented Elf hooked me up last year and they were great.

So Elf, when are the sales? D-light does a summer sale, LOR too. When are returning customer going to be able to get updated information spots? I now have too many extention cords, 96 channels, over 100k lights, movie projector, and 2 snow blowers in lights and ZERO Blow molds (LOL).

Slink

So Elf, when are the sales? D-light does a summer sale, LOR too. When are returning customer going to be able to get updated information spots? I now have too many extention cords, 96 channels, over 100k lights, movie projector, and 2 snow blowers in lights and ZERO Blow molds (LOL).

I did a Spring sale in April. Email me with what needs updating and I'll let you know what it will take to update.

I did a Spring sale in April. Email me with what needs updating and I'll let you know what it will take to update.

Yet another reason to hire Kevin. He bends even when he doesn't have to/ shouldn't have to.

Guest Scot Meyers

Id like to hear some samples... Kevin can you post some here?

Guest Scot Meyers

DUDE

I did not know you were the voice of Merrychristmasradio.com

WOW Your on my top 10 list of internet christmas radio stations

DUDE

I did not know you were the voice of Merrychristmasradio.com

WOW Your on my top 10 list of internet christmas radio stations

Scott: Glad to hear we're in your top 10....thanks. I've been "on the air" for a couple of weeks. My show is on 5:30-7:30 eastern time each day. They way its set up is one show will play through out the week. Glad to have you as a listener.

OK everyone, I get the message, I'm hooked. Now can someone give me details on how to get them to play between the songs? I have 64 ch.of LOR, outdoor speakers, and transmitter.I just have no clue on how to get them transmitted. Sorry I'm just new to all this and still need lots of help PaulJ

I sequence mine! Sometime I just have the lights throbing sometimes full sequence. Sometimes I just have the sequence completly blank while the VO runs.

Slink