Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Cullen Wassell

Alabama people...

I'm in Athens, but work in Huntsville next door to the Bridge Street complex.

What is the plan for the LOR there; how many lights, concentrated in one area or complex wide?

Sincerely, I'd love to help, but am up to my eyebrows in my own display preparations (thrashing, got started late), plus 18 other projects (at home, not where I work). Good luck on the setup, I'll be keeping an eye on it .

It will be a little bit south of Their 50 foot tree in one of their horseshoe shaped flowerbeds. It is actually my home display that I am bringing out to help promote WZDX TV FOX 54 where I work. We are actually calling it the FOX 54 Dancing Christmas Tree Show. We are doing a contest with them for the holidays and I thought this would be a nice fit and get the TV station name in the middle of the place for the week before Thanksgiving. We will be installing and tweeking on the 17th, and it debuts with the tree lighting on the 21st. I will be moving it back to my front yard on the 30th.

Forgot the details part. It is 80 channels, I have 8 mini trees, three larger trees, two of which have animated faces that talk and host the "show". This year I have a added a mega tree with 6 segmented green segments, multis, 25 strobes, red and blue ornament bulbs and an animated star. Also there are two 8 foot candy canes that will work sort of like all the arches that everyone is doing now. This years show features 15 songs and comedy bits from the talking trees. I am still programming and finalizing but hopefully it will all be done in time for the 21st. See you there.

Hey all I have been a lurker here for a while. I am just north of Birmingham in Gardendale.

I do not have an automated display yet. I did live out in the woods and just moved back in so I will be able to have a display that will be seen. I will be hitting the after thanksgiving and Christmas sales to stock up for next year. I have lots of Ideas from here and other places on the net that I want to implement for my display next year. Keep up the good work everyone.

Kris

Athens here, not animated yet, but I'm the biggest display in the neighborhood.

Also, I was thinking that when we all get our displays up and running we could list our locations so we could go and check out each other's displays. What ya'll think?

Guest Vairmoose

Forgot the details part. It is 80 channels, I have 8 mini trees, three larger trees, two of which have animated faces that talk and host the "show". This year I have a added a mega tree with 6 segmented green segments, multis, 25 strobes, red and blue ornament bulbs and an animated star. Also there are two 8 foot candy canes that will work sort of like all the arches that everyone is doing now. This years show features 15 songs and comedy bits from the talking trees. I am still programming and finalizing but hopefully it will all be done in time for the 21st. See you there.

Just wondering if you were able to get lights on last night. I drove by Bridge Street (about 6:30pm) but there were no parking places to be had.

Larry

Got the display all up and running nightly (if it doesn't rain). The kids love the talking trees and spend the evenings dancing in front of the display. It has been a huge hit in its first two nights. Come by and say hello if you get a chance. I am out there every night keeping an eye on the computer and resetting when it locks up. Make it bigger and brighter everyone.

Hey guys, I made a really crappy mad of all of us.

HUNTSVILLE

Vairmoose

Bob the lighting fool

Kkatelynal

FLORENCE

tistheseason

LTcaprice57l

sabrina02

ATHENS

markm

dy929

HAZEL GREEN

christmaslightman

HARVEST

Alabama_Santa

GLENCOE

Logan Moore

BIRMINGHAM

festivus4u

patricknew

hcrane

blazerstephen

GARDENDALE

Big Pappa

VALLEY

kennysmi

MOBILE

portcity

Sorry for the bad map, It's one A.M. here.

alabama-map.jpg

OOH. Late to the party

PortCity told me this thread was here.

I live in Mobile, but my display is at my parents house in Grand Bay.

32 - Renard channels- Vixen software controlled

64 LOR channels & 75 DIO-SSR LOR software controlled

60 DIO-SSR channels, controlled by my own software.

Total of 234 channels.

Coker, Alabama here (Tuscaloosa County). Just joined Planet Christmas. Been doing lots of reading. No computerized lights. 1st year using GE Lights and Sounds Mr Christmas. Bought a couple of Gemmy Holiday Lights after Christmas sale for only $17.00 each. Not the same as the computerized lights but it's a beginning.

Bought several LED lights, need low wattage for the above units. Last year for Christmas I told my DH I wanted a snow machine for Christmas. Bless his heart he built me one. Love watching the grandkids playing in it. Pic of Snow in Alabama this November.

Have a Blessed New Year Everyone,

Leona

Huxford, AL here (outside of Atmore in Escambia County)

Welcome!

Are you the one I met at my display this year?

I'll need to get you and PortCity to allow me to link to you on my webpage!

Hello Alabama Members!

I'm from the rural area of Hartselle, a small town near Decatur just off I-65 in North AL. We don't have a computerized display but we do like to decorate a bit outdoors to welcome family, friends and neighbors on Christmas Eve. We also decorate our boat and participate in local Christmas boat parades too. That's lots of fun, especially to see if your boat wins a prize. Just happy to be here!

Yes that was me, we got there right after the Christmas parade

Oh what A night that was.

The LOR PC crashed RIGHT before the parade.

I was frantically rebuilding the backup(which had also crashed) and running 1/2 the show manually from the sequence editor on my laptop.

The didgital IO (and about 65 of my channels) doesn't work on the laptop, so the sequences would not play in a show because of the missing DIO card, so it was half a show run manually!

It's me again. I got in on the LOR secret sale in February so now I am computerized to the tune of 16 channels and hoping to get another 16 at the summer sale. Merry Sequencing!

. . . now where the heck did I put those lights and extension cords . . . ?

Great, it is always good to see another LOR user in Alabama. I have finished my layout for 2009. Just waiting on 25,000 more LEDs to come my way in June/July to get to work on building things. I need to start selecting the music and getting down to sequencing also.

Later.

Harvest, huh? That's not far from me. Are you just getting started too? I'm still making plans, nothing big this year, maybe a 20' mega tree and 8 to 10 mini trees if I can get another controller this summer. But I'll have static icicles, lites in the shrubs, nets around my one big tree trunk and hopefully some wreaths for my windows if I have time to make them. A few other goodies too. I want my mega to be the star tho. I'm using minis and just can't make up my mind about how many strings to put on it. I gotta get to work on sequencing too.

Hi Ya'll,

I am just getting into the world of computerized lighting. Last year '08 we had a Mr Christmas and it was a lot of fun. This year I bought a 16 channel LOR set. So now I am learning how to senquence the lights and stuff. It should loads of fun.