Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
cars06

GODS synchronized light show!!!

HOWDY FOLKS!

First time thread posting but i just had to share this! in a remote spot in the smoky mountains there is a species of firefly that have synchronized their flash! depending on the date they flash different. when i was there last saturday they were flashing in waves!! if you looked left as far as you could you could see the first blink in the wave. then follow the wave as far right as you could see.. each firefly would flash 6 times. so they would make 6 waves!! then the entire area would be dark for about 10 or so seconds. then it would start all over. GOD does some wonderful light shows!!

Jim : )

Hey Jim,

Several years ago I took a group of city kids camping. As we were putting up our cooking supplies and getting ready for a devotion, one girl walked over to me scared half to death. She asked me who was that in the woods with small flashlights?

It provided an opportunity to speak to her about the Light of the world as well as the small flashlights in the woods.

When I was a teen (HUNDREDS of years ago, it seems) our youth group at church went to Appalachia to work on some homes and churches one summer. We stayed in a school while there for the week and at dusk we'd go out and watch the fireflys... Seemed like millions of them. We got the bright idea, one night, to catch a jar full of them and, after lights-out, set them free in our room. We didn't get much sleep that night since they kept the room lit up like daylight all night... :)

Edited by TheQueb
Punctuation. Too much? lol

Guest Lightzilla

I wonder if there is a song called "The dance of the firefly" God's light show is second to none....He's the master of sequencing. Man is fair to good at it...... but God is prefect at it.

Hmmmm, waves of 6 times eh, and about a few second pause.....hmmm you started me to thinking. Instead of total darkness a fellow could have one lonely light on then wham it comes at you again..

Oh well I shall find a song and see what I can do.

if memory serves (and it doesn't always) fireflys use their lights to communicate and use various patterns of lights at different times of thier life cycles

Guest Lightzilla

if memory serves (and it doesn't always) fireflys use their lights to communicate and use various patterns of lights at different times of their life cycles

I wonder is science every recorded those "various patterns of lights"?

Yes, He does! Fire files are so cool. My kids love to catch them when we go to the mountains.

HOWDY FOLKS!

First time thread posting but i just had to share this! in a remote spot in the smoky mountains there is a species of firefly that have synchronized their flash! depending on the date they flash different. when i was there last saturday they were flashing in waves!! if you looked left as far as you could you could see the first blink in the wave. then follow the wave as far right as you could see.. each firefly would flash 6 times. so they would make 6 waves!! then the entire area would be dark for about 10 or so seconds. then it would start all over. GOD does some wonderful light shows!!

HOWDY FOLKS!

Yea but can he synchronize to Wizards? ;)

yes these fireflys are known to science.. they were discovered in the mid 80's (became known to science) you can google elkmont synchonized fireflys . they do this during their mating season and then die.. the males fly while the females stay on the ground during the flashing.. i think these only exists in a few places around the world. its a wonderful site to see!! here is one link that i had found ...as it says you can only view these at one place in the western hemisphere!! HERE : )

Appalachian Voice - The Synchronous Fireflies of Elkmont

Guest Lightzilla

Yea but can he synchronize to Wizards? ;)

What will that prove? Are we trying to limits God's power? After all He synchronized the Universe to run perfectly, then man ruins it. Man can't make things to run down here very well.

What will that prove? Are we trying to limits God's power? After all He synchronized the Universe to run perfectly, then man ruins it. Man can't make things to run down here very well.

"It's a joke son, ya missed it" - Foghorn Leghorn

Guest Lightzilla

"It's a joke son, ya missed it" - Foghorn Leghorn

I read that at 2:30am so I guess my funny bone was in a bad mood. I just been home from work for 15 minutes, nonetheless I am sorry that my tounge was wrapped around my I tooth and I couldn't see what I was saying. Even tough I am deaffer than a wood pecker in hail storm in my old age.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

While living in Puerto Rico, my family visited a small village just outside of Ponce, PR called La Puerta. There you would wait until dark, enter a small boat and drift a short ways off shore in the bay area. When you would splash the water, the micro-organizism would light up and move quickly through the water, much like the fireflies. They would only light up when disturbed. We place some water in a jar and saw these close up. Such a marvel - and part of God's great universe.