Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
RichardH

Just Checking In

Boy where does the time go!

It has been months since I have posted. I use to spend at least an hour a day on the board but life gets busy.

I have been busy with some other hobbies the last few months. I got a motorcycle (Yamaha 1100) and finally got my Ham Radio License (KE7UEP) and have been playing a lot the past month with Ham Radio Stuff.

Anyway time to start planning the 2008 Display. As some of you know, I will not be doing it at my house because of neighborhood issues. For those that don't know you can go to my web site at www.holdman.com/christmas and read it on the front page.

The plan was to move it to a friend's house but it looks like now I may be moving it to a larger building with plenty of parking. I have a friend who owns a pretty successful business and in a few months they are moving to a larger building and we may use that as the Christmas Location. He is also willing to have his business sponsor the whole thing so I will be able to get some help and pay for some stuff. Also the building is located right by the freeway so lot of people will notice it.

One thing I am kind of concerned about though is that it will not have the "Home" look that really works well for a Christmas Display. My house really worked out well so it will be a challenge working with a box style building. One nice thing is there is a huge parking lot so people can just pull up like in drive-in theater.

I am a little discouraged because I am starting from scratch again but I am sure I will be using a lot of elements from my past display. If it does happen this year, I am sure we will learn a lot and 2009 should be better (Why am I even thinking about 2009 already?).

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say Hi and I am sure I will be on more often. It was nice to take a little break but time to start planning the display.

-Richard

It is GREAT to hear from you again! I too have not been around for a little while but it is TIME to start planning....I am sorry to hear that you had to move your display. I showed my friends your display and they were amazed! You are truly a creative person. Have fun planning!

Richard,

keep us posted on your new display!

I have been interested in doing a "Box" building as well but I have my hands full with my house and now a mobile home vacation spot which I may decorate this year. I'd love to hear about your ideas on the "box"

You should be able to do some really cool piano key type of stuff as well as you falling snowflake in multiple. Maybe instead of arches do the straight type like Chuck Hutchings. I just added this for kind of a kick start.:D

Hey Richard,

Good to hear from you. Can't wait to see what you do with the new Venue. You have a very creative show and your sequencing is great. I'm sure that your new show will bring even more happy smiles to people checking out the show. Nice to have a little backing to help pay for some of the elements as well..

-Evan

Richard it is so wonderful to hear from you. If anyone can make a new location work, you can. You will look at it as a challenge and go to town on your new project.

Just Great - Now Richard is going to make a box building look better than my house -LOL. Joking aside, I am sure your new site will be outstanding and I can't wait to see it. Good Luck

Gary

Hello Richard,

I am having a house build here in Houston and I am going to try to recreate your display. Hope this ok....Good to here from you.

post-6330-129571045129_thumb.jpg

One thing I am kind of concerned about though is that it will not have the "Home" look that really works well for a Christmas Display. My house really worked out well so it will be a challenge working with a box style building. One nice thing is there is a huge parking lot so people can just pull up like in drive-in theater.

Victim of your own success?

One situation we had here was we got so busy and crowded that passer by's cant see the house because of so many cars parked right in front of the house so in our case people need to find parking somewhere and walk up. This is how we got into a walk thru trail which also runs across the front of the property but behind the roadside ditch is so people can see thedisplay without cars in the way. This came to mind instantly when you said pull up drive in style... OK the front row people see stuff but if you are visible from freeway and willbe pulling them in... well those front row people might only be 5% of the total crowd with 95% of the people trying to see it with the front row cars in the way. You might want to inch back the front row parking so people arent up against the ground effects etc blocking views.

Maybe try something different... one of the things for your success is your house itself is absolutely gorgeous for your display, something is surely to be lost converting to a square box. On the other hand square box provides new and different opportunities but you might need to depart from what you did before on the house.

Richard good to hear from you. I'm sure you will do a great job on the new location. I'm hoping that your neighborhood will miss the hard work, and wonderful display you did on your house and ask you to bring it back for 2009. anyway it's good to see you back online. Dave :)

Great to hear from you Richard, I was wondering what you had up your sleeve for 08! We are looking very forward to your BBD, Box Building Display. Welcome to the world of Ham Radio, VE7XDB.

Welcome back from your hibernation Richard! Hope you don't mind, I'm going to steal your idea of the vertical cascading snowflakes. It will look perfect on my house too, a tall 2 story house. I plan to implement the vertical run of snowflake by attaching them to a PVC tower that I plan to build from three 1 1/2" PVC pipes, formed into a sort of mini TV transmitter tower setup so that it will be sturdy. So instead of just snowflakes on my roof like you see below, I'll also have the vertical rise of snowflakes like you had.

I also bought an awesome new HD camcorder from Canon, the Vixia HR10, their top of the line that records on SD chip, no more tapes or DVD. It is the size of a can of coke, fits in the palm of your hand. So all my videos this year will be High Def on Vimeo.

post-2688-129571045847_thumb.jpg

post-2688-129571045852_thumb.jpg

Hey Richard,

By chance you take that bike of yours on US129 In North Carolina / Tennessee?

It's a really nice ride ;-)

I have the Solution if you don't like the Box effect I'll PM you my Address. :-)

I to am just checking in this year, seems like I have been away to long and there are loads of stuff to catch up on!

Well time to start hitting it, talk to you all soon.

Ted

Richard, I often go back to your website to view your videos. Every time I do I become motivated all over again! Thanks for posting again and being such an inspiration.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Still working out the details. There is a chance that nothing may happen this year if they don't move into their building soon enough so still waiting on that.

I am tempted to take a break this year and maybe the neighborhood might want it back again for 2009. There are a lot of kids in the neighborhood and I am sure they are all going to miss it. Maybe if the kids complain to their parents they might have a change of heart. Who Knows.

Anyway, Glad to see everybody working away for 2008!

-Richard

Hi Richard,

Too bad you cannot get a petition going to let your neighborhood association see how much everyone enjoys your show. I am sure that you have tried everything, but have you thought about maybe only doing the shows on weekends? Maybe you already do, but it is really a shame to see such an awesome Christmas Display go away. Good luck with your endeavors! :D

Your always welcome to help me with my house :)

I can not promise you snow, but we do have palm tree to decorate here in sunny Florida

I too am just coming out of hibernation, and wanted to also welcome you to the wonderful hobby of ham radio from WO1VES. I'm deep in planning both my Christmas display and my Halloween display.

Glad to hear your back......If you haven't already, I'd check in to how much the electrical side of your display will have to change this year since its a commercial display. I'm not too sure the building codes or fire department will accept home made extension cords on a commercial property. I know they do not allow the use of any non-grounded extension cords outside here on commercial stuff and/or apartment buildings. Just a heads up if it hasn't already been addressed, especially with the cost of 16/3 cords these days.

Cant wait to see what you come up with this season.

Hi Richard,

What type of issues are you having with your neighbors?

Good Luck and hope to see something from you this year!

Hi Richard,

What type of issues are you having with your neighbors?

Good Luck and hope to see something from you this year!

The Neighbors live in a gated community and have privacy issues about having a lot of people in the neighborhood. A lot of them are great and really want the lights again this year but we had a vote and about 55% of them want the gates closed so that is what happened.

The Neighbors live in a gated community and have privacy issues about having a lot of people in the neighborhood. A lot of them are great and really want the lights again this year but we had a vote and about 55% of them want the gates closed so that is what happened.

Earlier today I came across your post about it in another section. Sorry to hear it! Your display is very inspirational. I hope you can work something out...