I just tried it on another computer (with IE7) and get the same results.

My "ChuckHutchings aggravation filter" seems to be working well ;)

The jury is still out on our PlanetChristmas real-time-chat area. At one time we had this ability in our previous home but it was seldom used so I let the service lapse because it was expensive.

The current real-time chat usage is free (this time I paid a little bit of money up front and host it locally) but it obviously has issues with a few users. I'm afraid it's a case of "you get what you pay for."

There's another real-time-chat alternative which is said to be close to bulletproof... called http://www.123flashchat.com/. I'll admit I'm a bit intrigued with their avatar module.

Whatdoyathink? How important is real-time chatting to our community?

Chuck

I visit a few chatroom from time to time and normally around april-may they really start slowing down.....winter time is normally the big chatroom season...people are just inside more twidliing thier thumbs I guess.

It doesn't surprise me the chatroom here is lacking a bunch of people in it. Its warm outside and people are out enjoying it. Although I have a feeling that may change as the christmas season get coser and more people start coming in here. Its a great way to get to know people here and if possible, you can get a instant answer to a question or a multiple of questions.

If its free, keep it. I'd hate to see you spend money on something that wont be used for awhile. Maybe wait and see how this christmas season goes?

Just my 2 cents

Personally I like the chat room, I have used it several times, I just hang out there.

I have met some people there that I maybe would not have had the chance to get to know or meet.

I enjoy the feature.

Thanks for your time.

I'd like to see the chat feature here. It's great for a quick discussion with someone. Maybe if more people published their MS, Yahoo!, etc. IM info we wouldn't need it but very few people seem to publish this.

BTW - What's odd is that I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER over on the DIY board and they have the same chat engine over there. It just logs me in automatically. (And I have the same UserID over there as I do here.)

• 3 months later...

you could do what a Pipe Organ Builders list I belong to does.www.pipechat.org

they have a live chat every Friday and Monday nights. Alot of people usually show up to chat about the past week and on monday , how there weekend went. I am sure if a pipe organ chat can work and its going on 11 years now, A Planet Christmas Live chat would work.

just have an assigned time posted on a regular basis and you will have people on the planetchristmas site coming on to talk of plans etc........

It will work,

I also really like the instant chat. If I'm not busy on a Friday or Saturday evening , I'll go and hang in the chatroom and see if anyone drops in. I wish more people used it. On the old forum there were a half dozen of us that were on regularly.

It would be cool to have like a guest each week for a Wednesday or Friday night Q&A session.

I think I'll drop in chat now and see if anyone is around.

I would love to have a chat room, I love chatting and when you need an answer fast especially during set up season, and you have a question, you can easily pop in and if someone is there get their opinion or expertise on your question. Then log off chat go fix your problem and go work on more of your display.

The few times that I have ever used a real time chat, and actually had members in the chat room I really enjoyed it. So I think it is a good Idea, however there is the age old problem of getting users into the chat room.

My solution, with the new PC Forum layout, is there anyway that you could put a button for the chat on the left. Also put how many people are currently in the chat room.

I feel like maybe with the chat room, being on the side it will be easily viewable and accessible. Out of sight, out of mind, so put it where we can see it and get there easily. Also if you can tell that there are currently people in there I would be more likely to click on it. These are just my suggestions, I feel that as traffic picks up as we slam into the season the chat room would be used more.

If it is full integration that you are after, you could go one step further and use a 'shout box' that is usually configured to display below the list of forums but above the online members box. There isn't too much wrong with FlashChat though, only the fact that in this case it doesn't automatically log you in. But that is only a minor issue.

Oh nice chat system,

I'm in now, the only one at the moment but after caning the boards it seems about 60 folks are reading the articles in the groups. I'll just hang out when I can which is most of the working week. ;-)

Anyway I do enjoy a good chat on occasion.

tEd