Hello Everyone,

I just got Gutter Guard, and realized, how the heck am I going to do my Lights on the gutters? I don't have Gutter Guard on the gutters 15' above my house, but the ones on the upper part of my house 22' do have gutter guard, I really don't know what I will do! In the past I have used the Telescoping Pole, and the light clips, but I can't do that this year. What has worked for you? I don't have a fear of heights, but don't care to go all the way up 22' on my ladder, I only have a 17' little giant.

• 2 years later...

I said the same thing! How'm I gonna do that?

I have the 3' plastic clip-on gutter guard that slides under the first row of shingles. It has a screen on top then diamonds/small holes under the screen to allow water to run off. I use 1 type of gutter clip, the rest is the shingle clip that slides under the first shingle. My icicle lights are on a clip that has a single prong that slides easily into one of the already-present holes and sits snugly in-place to the edge of the gutter guard. I got them at Walmart (75% off) and they come 100 in a pack. Now is the time to get them, regular price is like 5.00 and they always have leftovers.

I've used this setup for over 4 years now and no problems... so rest assured, this is tested and should work fine ;)

I ran into this problem this year. It was the first time I put up icicle lights and I wasn't prepared for it. My gutter guards are metal and are screwed into the gutter every few inches. Very difficult to get clips underneath it. I had to basically jam them in as best I could, and sometimes undo the screws a little to the guard will "give" a little for the clips. It was a pain and took a long time, but it actually held up perfectly. Huge wind storms during the season and absolutely nothing came off.

I mounted hooks from the facia (what the gutters attach to) and then hang 1/2" rigid conduit from them and mount my icicles to the conduit with zip ties. I can hang or remove all of my icicles in about 30 minutes and only have to move the ladder a few times. It's a clean look, goes up easy, supports multiple strands, and they are somewhat protected by being under the gutters. You can even run lamp cord inside the conduit to provide power downline without having cords draped all over the place. I hang the conduit in my garage attic over the summer, and the heat helps straighten the icicle drops. Works well for me.

ShantaClausSm.png

Shanta, I've heard of doing that elsewhere and it sounds great. However, I like the look of the icicles hanging on the outside edge of the roof line. Wouldn't doing it your way cause them to be underneath and also set back a few inches from the edge?

True, the lights are not right at the edge, but I don't think it is very obvious in the dark. Next year I plan to have white, blue, and multi icicles, and red, green, and multi strings along my eaves... something I wouldn't even consider if I had to hang each individually! This is how mine looked this year:

IMG_3567.jpg

But, another option would be to pop-rivet some hooks onto the top edge of the gutters.