Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest Lightzilla

Tell About Your Christ Centred Displays for 2008

Guest Lightzilla

w Then I will make the arches for the plexiglass with PVC after I can tell how high I need to go. Thank you for your comments on my house in 2007.

Glenn I was thinking along the same lines as you, then a thought came to me as I was walking in the Walmart garden center.....why not try those medal trellises that look like church stain glass windows. I was going to attach pexi-glass to it, paint it and put a spot light or two behind it. It should look like a stain glass widow.

Just a thought. Anyhow, I should buy a few because they are on sale now. It is a tuff call.

I have a Nativity, an angel, and I have Linus telling the Christmas story. That is my favorite part of the display. Next year, I hope to add the three Kings.

This is a very good thread, thanks for starting it. :)

Guest Lightzilla

I have a Nativity, an angel, and I have Linus telling the Christmas story. That is my favorite part of the display. Next year, I hope to add the three Kings.

This is a very good thread, thanks for starting it. :)

Yes sir Linus telling the Christmas story is great. I found this on You-tube

I would like to do this if I could, nonetheless if time wont grant me permission to do such a thing, then I will be content with Linus telling the Christmas story and that would be grand.

Guest Scot Meyers

WOW!!!

THAT LINK WAS COOL!!

I love the detail It was perfect. Thanks for sharing it

Guest Lightzilla

BRILLIANT IDEA - I think I will head there tomorrow after work and look to see if they still have them. Great Idea!!! Thank You

Glenn, did you make it to Walmart yet? Or another department store to see if they have trellises still. I am heading to a store Thursday before work, there are a few that would work good for my use.

We have a incredible precious moments Nativity scene, that my neighbor hand made, right in front with a star on top of the mega tree that's next to it that also stays on all the time. This year we're adding a light rope sign "Wise Men Still Seek Him" with a blink star from christmasdonebright.com right in front of the house, adding couple more animals for the Nativity scene to enlarge it, and now thinking about making a 5' cross that will hover in the air about 4-5' above our chimney that will also stay on.

The hard part is not adding so much to our overall display that our message of Christ gets lost in all the stuff/blinking/magic. I'm also making 2 story candy canes that will blink the stripes to music but the first one I just put up for a test fit & light was about 3 stories tall and just would have overwhelmed everything so people would just know my house as the guy with those gigantic candy canes and not the neat Nativity scene in front. I'm now reworking them to be shorter so they just go to the top of my second story.

Jim

Glenn, my wife loves your cross and Angels, where did you get it and how do you have it supported?

thanks, Jim

I was just telling my wife about the discussions in this thread and she just gave me a great one for me to add for 2008. Looks like I'll be expanding my Nativity scene to some how add the Roman Road scriptures about Christ and why he came. Most likely will add the scripture verses to signs that additional Wise men or shepherds will be carrying as they walk toward the Manger. I might have them light in sequence so it will cause the people to notice and read them in the order of the Roman Road. I'll have to figure out how to work this so they don't get lost in the LOR show that continually runs until about 10:30pm.

Guest Lightzilla

I went by my walmart on Friday and they had nothing. I was thinking Lowers or Home Depot = what do you think?

Well I think you ought to keep looking, so try hardware stores, green houses, Target, perhaps even Sears.

jlorenz55 I must say that you doing the Romans road is well like Glenn said...."WOW...." and it is a grand idea. May God bless you in your work.

I was just telling my wife about the discussions in this thread and she just gave me a great one for me to add for 2008. Looks like I'll be expanding my Nativity scene to some how add the Roman Road scriptures about Christ and why he came. Most likely will add the scripture verses to signs that additional Wise men or shepherds will be carrying as they walk toward the Manger. I might have them light in sequence so it will cause the people to notice and read them in the order of the Roman Road. I'll have to figure out how to work this so they don't get lost in the LOR show that continually runs until about 10:30pm.

Wow that sounds interesting. We have our nativity along a long walking path in the back and separated from the animated lights of the front yards. Something like making the path that approaches the nativity into the "roman road" sounds brilliant!!

I would truly like to know what you may be adding to your 2008 display that lets people know that "Jesus is the reason for the Season". I need some ideas, the old forum gave me some but this is new and well perhaps some new thoughts may be out there now. So please fill free to share your ideas.

Thank You,

Scott

Scott (& other interested parties):

I have done several variations on this and some has worked very well. Here they are:

Use a large or Mega tree with presents at the base (or near by). The presents need to be big and small, with the largest being notable large (large enough to hold your manager scene). Your can use a wagon of bicycle to accent, but not to distract. The focus is on small and large wrapped gifts. (Usually there is one in the family that says 'the large one is mine'). Using your lights show to distract from the packages and tree, I allow the front of the package to lay forward by use of a garage door opener. When the lights for the manager are turned on, the package (front) is gone and the manager scene behind is on display. It will be a surprise to them. I used plexiglass in the upper corners of the package to say "GOD'S GIFT" (on left upper corner) and "TO YOU" on the right. Suttle, yet powerful.

Another year, I use (to me) a MEGA tree of 14 foot with an angel mounted on top. This 4 foot angel was very elegant with a 14 lighted white shirt (or mega number of lights). It introduce the manager scene by shining 3-4 strands down to the shepard as part of the christmas story.

Last year, I used Mannheim Steamroller's Messiah (5 minutes) and incorporated the last portion of the program to the life of Christ with the Manager scene, the Arrival of the Kings (from afar), and the Cross. The cross is suspended on 2 x 4 wire between two trees made of ribbons lights (similiar to net lights, only 8 inches wide) 8 ft by 5 ft. During the last portion of this scene, the cross faded and the 6 foot man figure appeared with his outstretched arms toward heaven (towards his father) for about 3-4 seconds, disappears and 3 figures of a dove flies towards heaven. 1 second pause, then the numerous strobe lights shower the conscentrated tree tops above him - representing heavenly angels celebrating his coming home. All this time, the music is in the finale of Handel's Messiah - King of Kings, and Lord of Lords... (Cars came back several times because of some in the car missed seeing). Then the final 30 second is your showing off with a celebration of lights.

(Sorry to be so lenghty - but a picture is worth a thousand words).

I encourage you to keep some of Christ in Christmas.

Thank you for allowing me to share a passion of mine for years. God Bless.

Wayne Davis

Guest Lightzilla

xmasliteman now that's a big WOW in my books. This is truly a WOW display. I want to give you a big thank you for sharing this one of a kind display with us.

Your statement says "Keep some of Christ in Christmas"....and anyone who is a blood washed child of the King should do at least this much...."Keep some of Christ in Christmas"....and there are a lot of folks on this forum that do from what I see here on this thread as well as other threads.

Our focus with our light show is similar to the way we celebrate the Christmas season as a whole. We have always had Christ the focus with all of our activities and d

We revised our display theme and put the precious moments nativity scene right in the middle of the yard with spiral trees that blink to the music surrounding it. We added a "Wise Men still seek Him" sign with a blinking star from christmasdonebright.com on the house with a cross above it. For fun we moved the camels off to the left and put a standard style parking sign that says 60 min "Camel Parking" all others will be towed.

Edited by jlorenz55

Guest Lightzilla

We revised our display theme and put the precious moments nativity scene right in the middle of the yard with spiral trees that blink to the music surrounding it. We added a "Wise Men still seek Him" sign with a blinking star from christmasdonebright.com on the house with a cross above it. For fun we moved the camels off to the left and put a standard style parking sign that says 60 min "Camel Parking" all others will be towed.

Nice display and your house is looks great.

I have two styles of music that I use in the show. The top of the order starts with Linus' soliquoy. I follow that with "Welcome to this world" by Amy Grant and "O Holy Night" by Jewel.

I keep most of the lights off (in fact just the mega tree in Linus and Welcome) with slow fades.

These two songs are slow and create an atmosphere where the listener can meditate on the meaning of Christmas.

I follow Jewel with "Light of the Stable" by Selah. It is a bit more upbeat and its message is Praising Jesus as Savior.

The last song I play with a message is the 2nd half of Emmanuel, which tells who and what Jesus was.

I then follow it with a repeat of Linus and my secular song list.

Scott,

Are you talking about a blow mold drummer boy? I have been looking for one if there is souch a thing. The Little Drummer Boy is Chuck's favorite Christmas song. I would love to add a versoin of the song to our dispay.

Mira

Yes Mira there is a blowmold drummer boy you can only find him on ebay from time to time as he is not made anymore. I would like to have him someday myself. Here is a pic

post-9005-1295710969_thumb.jpg

Thanks Shawn,

That would be perfect for what I want to do with a sequence for a version of the Little Drummer Boy. I will have to start keeping an eye out for one.

Mira

Something we came up with this year. While we do have a Nativity scene in front of the main display, we use voice-overs the get the Word out. Every two or three songs, a voice-over is played that tells you why we do it, explains the meaning of Christmas, etc. We are even playing Mira's poem as a "prayer." We get hook 'em in with the lights and spread the Word while they watch.

I guess my thought was this - I'm not sure if people with get the message through visual queues alone. With all of the lights / music / animation, they can easily be distracted; however, in between songs where I play these voice-overs and turn off most of my lights, I'm hoping, maybe, it will stick.

I would truly like to know what you may be adding to your 2008 display that lets people know that "Jesus is the reason for the Season". I need some ideas, the old forum gave me some but this is new and well perhaps some new thoughts may be out there now. So please fill free to share your ideas.

Sorry I'm behind in reading all the forums (I am mostly over at doityourselfchristmas), so I didn't read your post until now, but here are my comments ...

A nativity scene is the main focus of our Christmas display, and we blend other secular stuff into it (rather than the other way around, which seems to be the most common approach). The props are mostly related to Luke 2, and we also include a segment in the middle of the show that is a narration of that (from the Charlie Brown Christmas show). We have some photos at http://gallery.eShepherdsOfLight.com and some videos on YouTube (search for "eShepherds of Light"). There may be some new ideas in it that you might be able to use.

don