Why do we measure our self worth by BULB COUNT!!

Guest Scot Meyers

Guest Scot Meyers

this is just a ponder ( so please don't beat me up)

Ever wonder why we feel the need to measure our displays (or maybye our self worth) by

- how many bulbs we have in our display

- how many computer channels are controlling it

( I used to do this too untill I started this year to really think about it )

In My hobby Opinion...

Does it really matter, I mean the only people that really care about the count is the media. or unless you feel the need to be competitive.

Sometimes I think in our desire to make the best display we forget the reason we really do it for the kids. The kids really don't care how many channels run your display. They just want to see it run. They don't care how many lights you have as long as its a festive display.

I dont have 10,000 light bulbs in my display but its bright . Bright enough for the kids to see it and yet still have a cool theme that the kids love.

I encourage your dialog as I have had a lot on my mind this year about my display. and trying to determine when enough is enough and to just be content with what I have in my display.

Edited by Scot Meyers

Scot,

I'm sure everyone has their reasons. I suppose for me, part of it might be bragging rights (yes, I like to brag a little when I feel good about something I built). Then there is that question asked so many times, "how many lights do you have here?". Then there is that "measurement of growth". If I had so many now and want to add so many more, what will I need to do to make it work? Keeping count helps in preparation for the expanded future.

So there are several reasons for counting the bulbs/channels.

To me, the kids enjoy it and the parents are always asking those same ole questions. So having an answer is nice, for a change :) .

For as long as I have been a member of PC my answer has always been the same when the question of "how many" comes up.

I have no clue how many lights I have and I honestly dont care. To me its not about light counts, its about making myself and my family feel good, and hopefully putting some smiles on the faces of those that live around me.

For me, it's not bragging rights or being competetive. It's all my neighbor's fault! Every time I think I'm just going to add a couple of new songs and nothing else someone comes along and starts talking about the display. Then they have to go and say "I can't wait to see what you are going to add this year"! I'm too weak to say "nothing" so I end up planning for something new, and in a 6 year period it has just kept growing and I don't know how to stop it!!! :) Maybe when I run out of POWER!

James

I agree with Tom on answering the "question" when asked. But the smiles count more on the faces of the kids and the kids at heart. One of the biggest joys last year for us was when of our neighbor children were walking past our house while we were setting up and said "Lady I liked you Christmas house last year, I'm glad you are doing it again."

"Lady I liked you Christmas house last year, I'm glad you are doing it again."

:eek: What Mira :eek: ???

The child didn't ask how many lights you had :eek:?

:D Just kidding.

I'll agree that it makes it all worth it when you capture the young kids hearts. Makes me forget about the count ;).

What would we talk about after all it is Planet Christmas lol. I find everyone is informative on this site which helps others such as myself to learn more about my passion for Christmas and my display. Bragging rights go along with everyone's (hobby). Personally it doesn't matter how big or small ones display is the fact that we do it for Christ as well as for the amazing effect it has on children of all ages is enough for me. I have to admit though I am always striving to find the "LOOK" I'm sure all of PC members know what I'm talking about, when you see that "LOOK" in a child's eyes (no discription for it) and on occasion in an adult's eyes there is a satisfaction beyond compare in my heart.

Haven't you heard the saying...."He who dies with the most bulbs lite wins" :)

Mainly used for power metering here....smile meter works better.

I'd say in general its a advertising size thing....if you throw up two signs and one says come see my 10,000 light display and the other says come see my 100,000 light display......if you had a choice...where would you go.

Although like a house in my area used to have around 50k lights on a 40'x120' lot and a tiny little house :)

Unfortunately, the general public tend to thinks more is always better.

Everyone ask, so I tell them. It is fun to know and to tell people. Is it bragging, maybe. Who really cares, it's fun! I have to know anyway for power needs. I was up to 140 amps on my 200 amp service last year. I had more lights last year then Jeff W.! Nanny nanny boo boo! I had more then you Who! :cool:

"Bulb count" is the lowest common denominator "non-Christmas fanatical people" can understand. I agree it's really meaningless with our over-the-top displays... but it's odd, people will remember you have 15,384 lights before they'll remember you have blowmolds or reindeer in your display.

Bottom line: don't fight the "bulb count"... If you don't know how many you really have, make up a number, no one will ever really know ;)

I think I have a new mantra...

don't fight the bulb count...

don't fight the bulb count... :eek:

When asked, I say I don't know, but based on my Watt Meter, I can tell them exactly how many watts they use if I turned them all on at once. If pressed for an answer, it's usually an "about number." Besides, how do you count LEDs? Do you count each individual LED that lights up? What about MR16s, color splash, etc. with multiple LEDs. You can always say something like, "Well, if everything is on at once, I would use XXX Amps. A typical 100 light string uses 1/3 amp, you figure it out."

I think most of us have to know our bulb count for power issues. When adults ask me, my answer is an approximation. When a child asks, I tell them I'll give him/her a dollar to count them. No takers, yet.

But, I measure my self worth by the number of candy canes I hand out. Ho Ho!

Excellent point to ponder Scott ;)

I think to the general public any number beyond a few thousand bulbs will get a response of "WOW!"

The other display in my neighborhood that I remember the most had 2 bulbs...

Floodlights on a few wood cutouts that told a story and conveyed a message.

Knowing for your own needs (power, load balancing, etc.) is fine, but beyond that it is only bragging rights really.

We have all discussed before the fact that there awesome animated displays with 16 channels and some pretty so-so ones with several times that number.

To put it in terms expressed here already.... it is not how BIG your display is... it is what you DO with it! :)

My personal thoughts anyways...

I know how many I have for power needs...

When someone asks I give them an "about"... "I have about XX,000 lights". No one cares how many channels I have.

What I DO measure is how many fuses, how many artillery breaks, how many grams of gun powder I have in my fireworks display! Pyro guys do keep track of that stuff!

Ryan

I don't have a clue how many lights I have...how many blow molds or inflatables...

I can give a guestimate on molds and inflatables in total...like over so many...but the exact number I would have to count and that's too much work...:P

I do count how many I have on display for my power needs...those are the brunt of my display and I'm static so I need to know how many I have out there.

Lights I could careless about...I just keep putting up lights until it has the look I am after...how many I have up there doesn't matter...

I can understand the need to know...but what I don't get is the constant bragging...

We see it in threads...in signatures on websites...

If you truly just need to know for power needs or to tell media...then I don't see the need for all these signatures and the like boasting your channel count...light count...blowmold count...

Those are just bragging....

And I don't think self worth should have anything to do with a christmas display or any other hobby...that should be determined by what's in your heart and how you carry yourself.

my 2 pennies....:)