Why do we measure our self worth by BULB COUNT!!

Guest Scot Meyers

I am for bulb counts! I want everyone to know how many I have and I think everyone else should join me in being proud of their bulb count! Untie and stand tall! I had 43,330 lights!

Be proud, stand tall, announce your bulb count to all! :)

Why does it matter how one measures their self-worth?

Some buy fancy cars or homes, it may be the way you dress or the (big boy)toys that you have, everyone needs something to build and keep their self-worth in check.

Without self-worth...we are truly worthless!

If it takes something as small as a persons light count to help build their self esteem, so be it.

Everyone needs something...if its not lights....then what is yours....

Think about it...you do have something...

Don't knock how someone else keeps their self-worth in check, until you look inside yourself.

Guest Scot Meyers

I see the point about needing the count to measure power draw.

I personally use an amp meter to measure power usage and then back off 5 amps from the max so that i dont pop a fuse I really have no clue how many bulbs I have. I know how many 16 channel boards i have. but thats is insignificant to the creativity that you brain can push out with these things.

I personally about 3 years ago(after a post christmas wally world run) Bought up so much stuff that I never used because everyone had it. Thats when I decided to be unique. to make my own display. to push my creativity to the max.

Darren, I see your point about self worth and that every one gets thier self worth from somewhere. My self worth is in the fact 90% of my display is right off my creative drawing board. Its built by me, I MADE IT! ITS UNIQUE! a one of a kind. Untill I share my ideas with you all then it no longer one of a kind and that's ok because its worth sharing creative ideas because those creative ideas needs an outside opinion to get it right. I find my self worth by sharing my new ideas and learning new ideas from you all.

Count 'em, don't count 'em, whaddever you like ;)

Bulb counts used to bug me. Then I started counting just because everyone else did. Then I quit counting again, mainly because I'm too lazy to do it and I really don't care.

Bulb counts only impress me in a relative sense. Chances are a 500,000 light display is going to be 'better' than a 1000-light one (but not necessarily). By 'better', I mean worth going out of your way to go see, etc. But beyond that, it really doesn't matter. I've seen 80,000 light displays that I didn't like and 10,000 light displays I've loved.

So should you count your bulbs? Only if you want to. Most people use it as a 'baseline' for the size of a display. But just like number of channels, etc., it's what you DO with what you have, not what you have... (to steal/paraphrase a sig line from someone else on another forum...)

-Tim

Here is a simple fact....That I have learned over the years. First it started when I was a kid. I liked the houses that we would go see that had a ton of lights. We would always go baack to those houses year after year. Now as an adult I try to take my kids to see the houses with the most/brightest lights. They also want to see those houses. I can also tell that I'm not the only person who likes bright lights. Every year that I've added lights I've added smiles from the kids. Not just young kids, I mean all kids from 1 to 100. Christmas lights are great for bringing out the simles!

Of course when you have lots of lights you always have the Question " How many lights do you have" I always tell them proudly how many there are. I am proud not because of arrogance but because I'm proud that I could fit that many lights on my little house:D

Gary, I'm with you 100% on liking the 'bright' look. That's why I prefer to run our display with about 50% static stuff, plus lots of LOR channels on at once, vs. the more 'theatrical' way that lots of folks prefer to run their displays. Not that the 'theatrical' method is bad/wrong/whatever, just my personal preference...

-Tim

HOT Topic. And a very debatable one.

How many lights do we have? One. The light that God shines down on us. However he has allowed me to use his one light as a bunch of little lights to reflect him. And I will try to use his 1 light as best as I can to show other people his love, his way, his life he has for us.

How many little lights I have out there is only for me to know. If you ask I will give you the answer above.

Tell everyone how many bulbs you have. Have fun with it. Life is too short to worry about little things like if someone is saying how many lights they have. Brag, have fun, don't worry, be happy!

Lighten up! Have fun! Let your hair down! Count those bulbs! make a T-shirt with the number! :)

Thank you but it wasn't me. It just came accross me. You ever have one of those times when you know when someone above is talking to you. For the past several years I have contemplated on exactly what I wanted to put on the "why" page of our website. Now I know exactly what I am going to write. After I had wrote that on here I wrote it down on paper and expanded upon it.

Thank you Scott for starting this thread.

Guest Scot Meyers

HOT Topic. And a very debatable one.

How many lights do we have? One. The light that God shines down on us. However he has allowed me to use his one light as a bunch of little lights to reflect him. And I will try to use his 1 light as best as I can to show other people his love, his way, his life he has for us.

How many little lights I have out there is only for me to know. If you ask I will give you the answer above.

WOW DEEP THOUGHT BY JR! EXACTLY MAN!! Thanks for this post. It puts it all in perspective.