Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
csmith

House or hotel...

I remember the first house my wife and I bought. It was a little bitty thing. Relatives would always want to come visit and spend the night. Everyone shared a bathroom... and forget about any privacy... but we survived.

For our next house my wife dictated a guest bedroom and it's own bath. Relatives wanted to come visit even more but at least they had their own bathroom. Still no privacy. And why is it visitors always have the opposite sleeping pattern than you???

The wife is talking about moving again... but the new home will have the guest area at the opposite end of the house. I finally said no. It's far cheaper to put the relatives up in a nice hotel the few times a year they come rather than having an increased mortgage payment for 30 years plus the hassle of trying to sleep at 10:00pm when the visitors are just getting their second wind.

That's it. I've tipped my hand. Come visit me and enjoy a stay at a nice hotel. We'll meet you in the lobby and go out for dinner :o

Chuck,

I completely agree, we have a moderately sized house with room for guests but we send them to the local hotel as well. This way we don't have to worry about schedules or animals being startled in the middle of the night.

Tony

I'm with you, Chuck. I hate having my privacy invaded.

With four dogs, and two cats, It is a big inconvenience to have a

live-in visitor. I actually am more comfortable in a motel

when I visit a relative. Seems like they always have the most uncomfortable bed and the hottest houses in the summer.

The key to houseguests is to make their stay completely unbearable while being hospitable. There are many ways to do this: A fold away couch, giving animals free reign in the guest bedroom, various alarms going off when they are sleeping, etc... But no matter what kind of booby trap is set, one always must maintain the aura of being an impeccable host that your guest may never determine your motivation (insert evil laugh here).

Seriously, Chuck, I empathize with your plight and agree with your reasoning and logic. Good luck (and if it is anything like my household, get ready for the addition).;)

Most of our relatives do stay in hotels. I remember my cousin just popped in for the weekend. We were stunned. Guess who had to give up their bed? Yup, me. My mom needless to stay always says such and such hotel is having a good deal. Its hard here too. Two dogs, blowmolds galore, myself, mom, brother and his girlfriend. Thats enough people in one house.

I have a totally dinky house, 2,000 s.f. and only two bedrooms. We have houseguests all the time though, the family room is equipped with a queen size sleeper and there is a 1/2 bath right off that room. Our rooms are in the front of the house, family room is at the back..so we can't hear them and they can't hear us..it works.

But as my Mom used to say, houseguests are like fish, after about 3 days they can start to stink!

Truth be told..I actually like houseguests, one at a time never more than 2, it just depends on "who it is" that is the question. There are people I wouldn't let in the door, some of "those" relatives that we all wish we didn't have, there are other rels and friends that could come and camp out here and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I have a totally dinky house, 2,000 s.f. and only two bedrooms. We have houseguests all the time though, the family room is equipped with a queen size sleeper and there is a 1/2 bath right off that room. Our rooms are in the front of the house, family room is at the back..so we can't hear them and they can't hear us..it works.

But as my Mom used to say, houseguests are like fish, after about 3 days they can start to stink!

Truth be told..I actually like houseguests, one at a time never more than 2, it just depends on "who it is" that is the question. There are people I wouldn't let in the door, some of "those" relatives that we all wish we didn't have, there are other rels and friends that could come and camp out here and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I so agree. I like that saying Carrie, that was very creative of your mom!

I just tell my guests that they are welcome to stay. They have their choice of staying in the shed or the garage whichever they want. They usually choose the hotel a couple miles away. I don't understand why? :rolleyes:

I found the best to deal with certain visitors like that, is to loan them money (you will never see them again) LOL,LMAO...

My b/f told me the other day that the way he and his former wife (not ex as she passed away of a heart attack) used to have to put up with people over staying their welcome:rolleyes: and not offering to help out so they fixed that by renting a tiny house and buying the smallest car they could find .

He said his step son and step daughter was REAL bad about that back then and step son still is .He (step son) is like in his late 20's early 30's .

I guess I'm at the opposite end. We have an average house with 3 kids. We moved to N. Carolina a couple of years ago from Ohio. We have had a lot of friends and family stay with us since then, sometimes two families at a time. We've had as many as 18 people at our house at one time. We seem to find room for them, and my wife and I do enjoy treating them to our new found "Southern Hospitality". We jokingly call our house a Bed and Breakfast, and I'm considering having a sign made! We don't mind the inconvenience since we don't get to see most of those folks very often. Despite having a lot of people in a small space, we get a lot of compliments that our house is not full of chaos. It's very calm. I don't know why, but it is.

I just tell my guests that they are welcome to stay. They have their choice of staying in the shed or the garage whichever they want. They usually choose the hotel a couple miles away. I don't understand why? :rolleyes:

I have a guest house attached to the garage in the back (former servants quarters). They have their own bedroom, bathroom, and a small kitchen. They are welcome to come and go from the house because all of my bedrooms are upstairs.

I guess most responses here are from people in the USA. I am from The Netherlands and I guess it's a different story here. We live in a small country and for most people it is easy to go home at the end of the day. Distances are not as big as in the USA. My mother is celebrating her birthday at the 25th of december, with a lot of guests of course. The guests arrive around 3pm and go home between dinner and 1 am, no privacy problems.

Since my wife is from Ukraine (and I am Dutch) we sometimes have her family staying with us during the christmas/new year period, probably 10-14 days. We don't ask them to go in a hotel, my wife is very happy to see them. So, there is much less privacy, but I am happy to do this for my wife.

There is a good side in her family staying with us. Since they are only talking Russian (which I can follow only for a bit), there is a lot of time for me to pick up small projects during these 2 weeks. Actually, I am giving up some privacy, but in return I get some more freedom.

I hope this was interesting...

My sis, BIL, and the nieces would be very welcome here as would my parents. MIL I grin and bear it....DW's sises and bros...hotel. Fortunately almost all live right here in same city...other than my sis and her family and probably the bro and sis from DW who would be the ones I would most like to have here...

My sis and I get along pretty well and tend to just relax and have fun so it works out well in each case we have available guest areas away from main living areas which helps give privacy.

Carrie, 2,000 sq ft is not dinky!!! :D

My last house was 912 sq ft - 1st house I ever bought

My Ford F150 actually cost more then the house :eek:

7 year of sweat equity later I sold it at a nice profit

Our house when we bought it was supposed to be 1650 sq ft

1st floor is about 1250 sq ft, same size basement

2nd floor I dormered & raised the roof, maybe close to 900 sq ft when finished. Then added on the 240 sq ft sunroom

With the great room addition we will be over 3,000 sq ft eventually

Since the house has been under construction no-one wants to stay here. We don't really have any out of Town guests. Most that are have family here & stay with them

Once completed we will have plenty of room for guests , 2 1/2 baths

once....completed....some day

We moved from NY/NJ to FL in 2000 and bought a house in Orlando in 2002. My in-laws stayed in our Guest Room for 3 weeks when we first moved in, to help us get the house livable. 3 weeks was a long, LONG time to have house guests but everyone survived and hey, it was free help for painting, home repair, etc. The following year they stayed for 2 weeks. Again, a very long time but we didn't kill each other so it was deemed a success.

The in-laws bought a house of their own in 2004 (2 weeks before Hurricane Charley - welcome to Florida!), maybe about a mile and change from us, and are now the "official family hosts" (we didn't have many guests besides them because, to be honest, we didn't invite anyone for fear they would take us up on it, LOL!). My FIL's brother and his wife stayed with them for 3 weeks in early 2007...and you never heard 2 people hem and haw and complain about having house guests (when the guests were out of earshot, of course). Hubby's best line: "Now you know how WE felt!" MIL & FIL wholeheartedly agreed and said that if it happened again, they would suggest a hotel. The following year, what do you know, the brother and his wife stayed for 2 weeks - no hotel. And again there was hemming and hawing. That year's credo was, "But you TOLD them they could come!"

House guests are like fish - they start to stink about 3 days! ;)

It must be an Australian thing but no one would ever presume they could stay at your home over a holiday period. Sure we have ring ins who stop by for lunch and don't even bring a bag of chips but they don't stay unless invited.

What a awful position to be in! And uncomfortable.

House guest are tough - I love my mother and Mother-in-law but hey, they are both like chocolate cake (one bite goes a long way) - But they are OK when they visit.

I think my wife's big issue is room, but her big deal is entertaining and feeding. Her sister and brother-in-law comes to visit once a year for about a week and they "expect' to be entertained and we pretty much eat out every meal. (our dime) It drives my wife crazy - brother-in-law wakes up and the first thing out of his mouth is, "what do you have planned for today?) - Where and what are we going to eat?

We have literally run out of things to do in Nashville. You have to understand, my wife thinks entertaining is for her to read a book by her self.

Having to set sight seeing tours up and food menu's drives her crazy -

We bought the cheapest mattresses we could find for the spare room thinking our guest would be miserable and leave butm, come to find out they are some of the most comfortable mattresses around. A real Bummer!!!!!!

Guest Lightzilla

If my wife and I could ever move into something a bit bigger and a bit better I would try to find a house with a "detached garage with a guest suit on top".........but I have been thinking about a new detached garage with a guest room on top for the house I live in now.

We just did some reno work to the house so perhaps next year or the one after, that garage will become reality.......we'll keep looking at patterns.

Ah not total privacy but a bit better.

Our 3 bedroom house is small and busting out at the seams with just the 2 of us. We've always enjoyed entertaining family and friends as houseguests. But twice things got very uncomfortable. The first time I was remodeling the small master bath, 2 adjacent closets and the master bedroom. The tile guys were not dependable and dragged the project out for months (finishing Dec.23). Mom was sleeping in my room and her clothes were on poles strung between the dining room chairs. (Her bedroom furniture was in the garage). I was sleeping on a pull out couch in the 3rd bedroom.

So my cousin informs us she is coming to visit for 2 weeks in the middle of our mess! (She left the week before Christmas!) Besides the remodeling project, I'm putting up my Christmas display. So we switch rooms and my cousin gets the queen bed and we both end up on a couch. And of course, my cousin likes to run everyday seeing sites, eating out, and shopping incessantly! Talk about bad timing!

The 2nd uncomfortable time was during Hurricane Rita. My brother and his wife come to stay bringing their 6 house cats! (I'm not a cat fan but they were pretty well behaved). That wasn't too bad, our dog adjusted fine. But then without notice, His son, wife and newborn baby show up with their 2 cats! Now people are always welcome at our house, but 8 cats running around and getting into fights was ridiculous! LOL! We were grateful that my niece, her boyfriend, and 2 Pit Bulls found refuge elsewhere!

Edited by Randy G

Randy, How do you top that - You guys were much more torreable than my wife and would have been. ya'l are very gracious people. 9 cats? WHOO!

Glenn

Guest Lightzilla

Randy, How do you top that - You guys were much more torreable than my wife and would have been. ya'l are very gracious people. 9 cats? WHOO!

Glenn

Thats because he has a great Heavenly Father as a teacher......as do I except that I am not a good student like I should be.

Thats because he has a great Heavenly Father as a teacher......as do I except that I am not a good student like I should be.

Amen! To both parts! We're all learning and growing. Isn't it great that God doesn't give up and never stops loving us despite our faults!