• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cool: EDM LCD TRANSMITTER GROUP BUY

BATCH#7 - 10 of 10 orders confirmed:cool:

BATCH#7 IS NOW COMPLETED AND CLOSED

Yahoo, cant wait.

I assume this means it will ship on monday or tuesday??

I live in cali so im giving it 12 days shipping (im guessing for the fun of it) I guess it will be here on Friday October 3rd.

Yes, shipping out on Monday sounds right. ;)

As for when it arrives ... I'd just wait till folks from batch#6 get theirs and then add ~17 days or so. I think this batch took a tad over 2 weeks to fill.

Should have time to do 2 more batches by 10/31 ... that will probably be it for 2008.

** important notice **

Batch #8 will be postponed because of potential (upcoming) problems with a supplier. This should not affect anyone who just ordered for batch#7 .

Unfortunately, it means that the group buy is essentially 'on hold' for now. I was just informed of this by EDM this morning. They do not want customers affected, so this is a precaution to prevent having unhappy customers ordering ... and then getting delayed, etc.

If and when the sale resumes ... I will be starting a new sale thread (with a correct end date in the thread subject) ... so consider this thread "dead", except for providing feedback transmitters sold through batch #7 ... please continue to post your experiences!!

If you are interested in the sale when it resumes, please drop me a PM and I'll put you on a waiting list.

Best regards,

Scott

Hi Group,

Well my EDM LCD arrived today, I was the 2nd order in batch #6, so it's been a pretty good wait, but well worth it!!

I had it assembled and ready to transmit within 15 minutes. Once I had it on for the first time without audio applied, there was a annoying hum. I found out quickly that it was by to many other electronics in the house, moved to a better location and noise went away.

First test was done with the factory antenna and transmitter in the second floor of the house by the window. Had stereo signal and no noise up to 1/4 of a mile @ 10mW output. Next test was done in same location with the transmitter power increased to 100mW, which got me a good 1/2 mile without noise and stereo lock. Past that I still had stereo lock but a little noise. Only went about a mile and still could hear the station, used my factory radio in my Chevy truck for testing. I used the Belkin Tunecast the past two years and you really can tell the difference in audio and distance from this unit, much better then the Belkin.

Right now I'm listening to a Christian Rock Show broadcasting over the internet, into the EDM LCD and into my Grundig portable FM receiver with headphones, SOUNDS GREAT! As if it was coming from the 100KW transmitter itself, but in reality it's to far to hear with this little radio.

Thanks Scott for finding these units and all the work you have put into this project!!

Edited by Lightman

Hi Group,

First test was done with the factory antenna and transmitter in the second floor of the house by the window. Had stereo signal and no noise up to 1/4 of a mile @ 10mW output. Next test was done in same location with the transmitter power increased to 100mW, which got me a good 1/2 mile without noise and stereo lock. Past that I still had stereo lock but a little noise. Only went about a mile and still could hear the station, used my factory radio in my Chevy truck for testing. I used the Belkin Tunecast the past two years and you really can tell the difference in audio and distance from this unit, much better then the Belkin.

Right now I'm listening to a Christian Rock Show broadcasting over the internet, into the EDM LCD and into my Grundig portable FM receiver with headphones, SOUNDS GREAT! As if it was coming from the 100KW transmitter itself, but in reality it's to far to hear with this little radio.

Thanks Scott for finding these units and all the work you have put into this project!!

Great to hear it works so well for you, it seems like a great little unit.

I hope you backed down the power after your tests. 1 mile is a bit far to be transmitting with an unlicenced transmitter. The best range would be to just cover the 'viewing area' for your display.

Ok - batch#8 will resume tonight ... and in a new thread, which shows the new cut-off date of 10/31 on it.

Batch#8 will be limited to just 10 orders only, no more. Once the 10th order is placed, it will close and no more orders can be placed into batch#8.

Also, on a related note ... EDM told me that they are looking for a Ramsey FM30B owner who would be willing to trade for a new EDM LCD ... they are looking for a test unit to compare with ... this sounds foolish, based on price ... but based on the reviews I've heard ... this might be a smart thing to consider. PM me if your interested ...

Ok - batch#8 will resume tonight ... and in a new thread, which shows the new cut-off date of 10/31 on it.

Batch#8 will be limited to just 10 orders only, no more. Once the 10th order is placed, it will close and no more orders can be placed into batch#8.

Also, on a related note ... EDM told me that they are looking for a Ramsey FM30B owner who would be willing to trade for a new EDM LCD ... they are looking for a test unit to compare with ... this sounds foolish, based on price ... but based on the reviews I've heard ... this might be a smart thing to consider. PM me if your interested ...

So batch 7 is progressing as normal? (ie: the shortage or whatever that may be did not effect batch 7?)

That is correct ... batch#7 is fine and has been shipped out.

They (EDM) determined that they had enough existing metal enclosures available to ensure another 10 transmitters for batch#8 ... but unlike other batches with sometime allow for 11,12,13 orders (based on timing) ... this one is for only 10 orders only.

I know this is a pain and probably confusing ... but to exemplify that kind of company EDM really is ... they didn't want any members to be able to place orders (for batch#8) till they were 100% certain that knew they had 10 enclosures available with that supplier in question ... so they verified that and got some kind of assurances in place before giving me the green light on batch#8. Thats unheard of ...

As I've mentioned already ... I think batch#8 and hopefully batch#9 will be it for group buys on the EDM LCD transmitter in 2008 I think. So get in soon, as the final two batches will be ending by 10/31 or earlier.

I should have the new thread up tonight, very soon.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Scott

*** this sale thread has now been replaced with the newer thread link shown below ***

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?p=244736#post244736

Edited by taybrynn

Well, per FCC part15 rules ... since the transmitter is not FCC certified, it has to be sold as a kit. So that means there is about a 15-30 minute assembly time ... but very simple. If you can fill 3 solder holes with solder ... you can build it easily.

I have a thread on the assembly of the EDM LCD and it shows how very simple it is. That link is probably on this thread already, if it isn't already on the first(sales) post.

The Ramsey transmitters are also kits and non-certified ... but are more complex kits to build and require good soldering skills to assemble.

Once you have a transmitter assembled, its just a matter of hooking it up to the sound card on the PC (or laptop) ... usually via. a mini headphone sized (1/8") jack. Then on the other end of the cable is dual RCA male connectors that plug into the EDM transmitter. So that cable is available for $10 or less at many places or online. Its a 1/8" male to L&R RCA male cable. The longer the cable, the better ... helps keep the transmitter away from the computer and monitor and other sources of potential RF interference.

Once you start operating an FM transmitter, you have a free FCC Part 15 license to do so ... but it's up to you to do so in a responsible way and per the Part15 rules.

Generally, just do the following:

- don't overbroadcast and existing station

- don't broadcast if it causes others interference

- don't use more power than is necessary (i.e. don't buy a HLLY or ebay transmitter of .5, 1, 2 watts -- grossly overpower and no more range).

- don't use an antenna unless you need to ... most transmitter come with

a test antenna which is sufficient for show operation where line-of-sight is all the is required.

- if you buy a transmitter with adjustable power, lower it to the point that you get only the range you need for the show. The EDM LCD is adjustable from 10mW to 100mW. Most folks use 10mW. 10mw is 10/1000 of 1 watt.

Scott

Batch #9 is on hold -- but please PM me if you want to get on the waiting list. Batch#8 filled in 1 week ... and I suspect Batch#9 will go even faster.

It should start withing the next week, but EDM is waiting for future enclosure commitments from the supplier before taking orders.

Scott