• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still a little confused myself but I think what they're saying is that the bulbs are "technically" replaceable (since the "one-piece" design is patented by the old manufacturer) but they should not need to be replaced and should not fall out.

And, since they are "technically" replaceable, UL requires the two additional bulbs be included with the string.

Edited by ChuckHutchings

But to properly route water out of the socket lends me to believe that they anticipate water in the socket so the design has changed from last years.

Our design is that the LEGS are not bent and also with a insulating block (please refer to diagram #9 in the Patent document) inside of the MINI socket. The purpose of this design is to make sure the water will be properly routed, so it will not be stored up inside of the MINI socket.

The bottom line is they are REPLACEABLE LIGHTS lets just hope there routing of water works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't this information have been nice before we all ordered!!!!! I am sure it would have influenced allot of orders:mad: I agree on the "hope" but this is allot of money for "hope".

Like in one of the above post I have heard many bad things about replaceable LEDs and have owned a couple strings of them myself that got thrown away after one year.

I like others have not gotten my lights yet, or been notified they have been shipped. This is my first major LED purchase......man...replaceable bulbs is sure not what I was wanting. The bulk of my order is G15's maybe they are sealed.

Edited by roberson3

But to properly route water out of the socket lends me to believe that they anticipate water in the socket so the design has changed from last years.

Technically, the last two years have been a two piece socket. The last two years, the technology was to pressure seal the socket to make them hard to pull out. I'm just as shocked as everyone else. I was under the impression they were one piece.

I think the really bad part of all this is the packaging this year. They were supposed to be packed 12 to the inner pack and 24 to the case. For some reason they forgot the inner pack and they used a light weight cardboard which is causing damage in shipping. Innovalite will stand behind all claims just as I will. That is the comforting part of all this. The product is still brilliant in color. Sometimes there are bumps in the road! :mad:

Innovalite will stand behind all claims just as I will. That is the comforting part of all this.

Hey, Paul! I know I haven't actually received my order yet but I think they were ALL damaged in shipping. Yeah, that's it! I'll just, uh, "dispose of them" for you here and you can have Innovolite send me another batch. ;)

im sure paul will stand by his product even if it cost him a penny or two. He has built a good reputation and wouldnt want it ruined by this mix up. So i guess we will have to wait it out and see how they perform hopefully they are like the lights in beijing. Paul you did say they come pre programmed to match the beijing lights and we wouldnt need LOR anymore RIGHT? And you also will install them on my house or was i on the wrong website?

To be honest, Replaceable LED's would be my preference if they have worked out the corrosion problem of past years. I bought 12,000 replaceable C6's from Vickermans three years ago and haven't lost a string. Their construction was much better and tighter than many replaceable strings out there. A few bulbs here or there went out and I had the luxury of being able to replace them. that is a luxury we don't have with sealed strings. When bulbs go out what are your options? Live with it or chuck the whole string- and that is my concern with non replaceable lights. Similarly, I've wondered if when a bulb goes out and one continues to use them are LED's also subject to the domino effect like mini's.

If I understand the suppliers response to Paul's inquiry correctly it seems the corrosion issue of the past has been addressed with water routing in the event of intrusion as well as silver plating of the leads themselves. Though I have only purchased sealed strings the last two years (25,000) I would not hesitate to buy replaceable strings if indeed the corrosion issue is no more. This could simply be the natural progression of a very new product.

to Be Honest, Replaceable Led's Would Be My Preference If They Have Worked Out The Corrosion Problem Of Past Years. I Bought 12,000 Replaceable C6's From Vickermans Three Years Ago And Haven't Lost A String. Their Construction Was Much Better And Tighter Than Many Replaceable Strings Out There. A Few Bulbs Here Or There Went Out And I Had The Luxury Of Being Able To Replace Them. That Is A Luxury We Don't Have With Sealed Strings. When Bulbs Go Out What Are Your Options? Live With It Or Chuck The Whole String- And That Is My Concern With Non Replaceable Lights. Similarly, I've Wondered If When A Bulb Goes Out And One Continues To Use Them Are Led's Also Subject To The Domino Effect Like Mini's.

If I Understand The Suppliers Response To Paul's Inquiry Correctly It Seems The Corrosion Issue Of The Past Has Been Addressed With Water Routing In The Event Of Intrusion As Well As Silver Plating Of The Leads Themselves. Though I Have Only Purchased Sealed Strings The Last Two Years (25,000) I Would Not Hesitate To Buy Replaceable Strings If Indeed The Corrosion Issue Is No More. This Could Simply Be The Natural Progression Of A Very New Product.

Bingo!!!!!!

i agree with bill 100% IF they dont rust or anything. IF the bulbs didnt fall out. (my daughters dog ate some of the bulbs out of the walmart removable LEDs today!! ARRRG) i hope it all works out for all of you!! things do change. last year you were a fool for buying removable bulbs. ( i was) this year maybe not!! now if we just knew what other suprises that would pop up on down the road!!

The GKI sets are corrosion proof. I've been trying to get my demo sets to rust for a month now and they still look new. I've even got open sockets and they don't rust.

So rust free replacable sets can be done, so I wouldn't worry to much about Paul's sets.

I am so confused. I ordered and recieved m5's (4 colors) and c7s. (4 colors)

The m5's have extra bulbs. The c7's don't have extra bulbs.

Did i recieve old and new stock or are different light strands designed to different specifications?

I would think that there is some consistant design standard across all strand types.

What will i get if I order more c7's as I will most likely need more.

(Note- If only those M5's came in 8" spacing I would be using them as they look great!)

Steve

I thought the main benefit of the "sealed" LED strings was they were sealed from water. That was the reason I went with the "commercial" grade strings instead of Target brand. Now this years order are supposed to be waterproof but some people have had the bulbs fall out?

How can they be waterproof?

And what happens when we pack up the strings and put them in storage for 10 months? Should I be concerned that I ordered about $2000 in additional LED's that I may have problems with next year??

Scott

Scott,

As I was saying in an earlier post, there would be two ways to address the corrosion issue. The first would be to completely seal the bulbs from the elements-which has it's drawbacks when lights begin to fail and the second would be to address the cause of the corrosion once there is water intrusion in a replaceable set. Paul's Supplier believes they have done that with water routing to weep any trapped water in the socket, changing the led leg design and plating the legs. Those of us who invested in replaceable strings when LED's first came out were screaming then about the dissimilar metals used in the bulb-socket make up and how prone it would make them to corrosion....add a little moisture and that corrosion is accelerated further. The simplest short term fix would be to completely seal the sockets, but for me the best solution would be to redesign replaceable light strings to minimize corrosion and when a bulb goes out ( and one will) it can be replaced to further the life span of the product.

Although LED's have been around a long time, exterior applications are brand new and Suppliers are leaning as we are learning what works and what does not. Only time will tell.

bill, they changed the manufacturer, and due to patent restrictions couldnt make a one piece sealed bulb (diogen) and couldnt make the two piece sealed bulb (whoever made them for CDI last year) so this is what they came up with. will it work?? the GKI version seems to. but they are coated with something else and the new CDI's are silver coated. so who knows. if a bulb fails on a sealed unit within 3 years you have a warranty. if you want to fix it some folks cut a light out of another string and use the cut up string for spares. that cant be any worse than home built C7's and C9's with vampire plugs and such : ) i just wonder why they dont just make the legs and contacts out of something that wont rust (copper) ? some say its due to copper not being great to solder to the LED.. who knows..

bill, they changed the manufacturer, and due to patent restrictions couldnt make a one piece sealed bulb (diogen) and couldnt make the two piece sealed bulb (whoever made them for CDI last year) so this is what they came up with. will it work?? the GKI version seems to. but they are coated with something else and the new CDI's are silver coated. so who knows. if a bulb fails on a sealed unit within 3 years you have a warranty. if you want to fix it some folks cut a light out of another string and use the cut up string for spares. that cant be any worse than home built C7's and C9's with vampire plugs and such : ) i just wonder why they dont just make the legs and contacts out of something that wont rust (copper) ? some say its due to copper not being great to solder to the LED.. who knows..

I don't know what the new GKI version LED legs are coated with do you know specifically that it is something other than silver? or silver will not stop corrosion as well in this set up? Personally, I'd prefer an easier alternative to line splicing bulbs when they fail thats all..... And by the way I know from past experience that Paul stands behind his product but I cannot ever remember seeing a warranty other than a ninety day warranty expressed or implied on ether his site or verbally by him with regards to his sealed LED's.

bill i didnt know you were referring to ONLY pauls LED's. if you read my post you will see i was referring to all LED's. Diogen lights are sold with a 3 year warranty. no the GKI lights are not coated with silver to my knowledge, they are coated but no mention of silver from the company or reps. nobody knows if silver will stop the corrosion because nobody here has tested them. ive read posts here were somebody else is testing GKI's and they are holding up fine. and by the way, nobody has questioned if paul will stand behind his lights, im sure he will.

Bill just a quote from Paul's 2007 wholesale catalog on page 4 first paragraph second line pro grade light strings commerical grade [ we back our Pro- Grade light strings with the industrys only 5 year warranty ! ]

Next on page 10 which deals with pro grade LED MINI LIGHTS NEW LED MINI LIGHTS- TWICE AS BRIGHT,WATERPROOF,CRUSH - RESISTANT, AND AFFORDABLE!. Second line from bottom in red print 90 day warranty on LED minis!

90 days gives them just enough time to rust (if they are going to rust)

Well, if you put them out NOW it does. Better not wait until December, though. :P

But, seriously, why are we discussing CDI's warranty here? It's whatever it says it is. And, knowing Paul, it's probably more than that. I seriously doubt ANYONE is going to be unhappy with their LED purchase from CDI.

chuck i hope you are right!!! i know you will give them all they can handle (lights) and tell everyone how they work out!! i will do the same with the diogen and GKI lights. im even going to buy and test the cheap diogens from hobby lobby. they have really good looking cords and bulbs but are supposedly half wave. i guess its all a learning adventure any way!!