• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bret i hope they work out fine for you!! remember the m5's are m5's now and not m6's like last years..and this years CDI are 100% new design with removable LED's. i just wish someone was doing a test on them to see how the silver plating holds up. seems to me if some of them are falling out during shipping and or during the wrapping of arches the silver would chip like the factory guy from china said they would if they were bent or put in and out a lot..

brian (hotrod1965) showed me the GKI set he has had out on the lawn with some open sockets for 4 or 5 weeks. he's pulled lights out and put them back in . no rust..

None of my leds have come out. Maybe the guy was meaning the diffusers that snap on that cover the actual led? I had a couple of c7 diffusers that had popped off during shipping. I haven't had any come off dragging them across my yard or anything and the leds themselves seem to stay secure okay.

One thing I have noticed with my green m5s is that they are not instant off, they fade off.

The other leds I got after christmas are instant on and instant off. These seem to have a .5 sec. fade off. Does this have anything to do with 1/2 wave verse full wave? It really stands out from my other lights.

I have a bunch (if you consider 18 strands a bunch) of CDI's Green M5s. I've only tested two strands but didn't notice any fading out instead of just "off." Is this just when plugging into a receptacle or hooked to a controller?

I'll pull a box out next time I'm at the storage building to check mine. The only thing I can think of that would do what you describe is if there is a capacitor somewhere in the circuit. LEDs are truly ON / OFF devices since they can literally be turned on and off thousands to millions of times per second.

None of my leds have come out. Maybe the guy was meaning the diffusers that snap on that cover the actual led? I had a couple of c7 diffusers that had popped off during shipping. I haven't had any come off dragging them across my yard or anything and the leds themselves seem to stay secure okay.

Have you tried to fade your c7's yet. I have not tested mine yet and I'm just curious if they fade OK with LOR...

Not yet because of the mini base and the fact I am doing 3 colors with 16 strands each on my house I am stapling them to 1 X 2's which will take a long time but they should fade okay. One thing I noticed while building my 1/2 scale version of Richard Holdman's Bethlehem star that in his sequences where he had part of the star at 35% intensity, that at that intensity my c6 leds looked too bright, so I had to go with a lower intensity of 20% to achieve a similar affect.

Has anyone started using any of there leds yet cause i have been having alot of problems with mine and i am really getting aggravated. I have already sent back 12 sets of lights and now i am having a problem with another 7 sets. I like to string my lights together so they are easy to hang. I had a few moments to spare tonight so i figured ahh lets get a few done. I string out a set of white with no problems then a set of red as i start zip tieing them together the red goes out and wont come back on. So i grab another set and it goes off without a hitch. Then i move on to the next set again i string out the white no problems now for the red. I plug the red in and start to string them out and pop the lights go off. I then jingle them around figuring that maybe theres a loose bulb and nothing happens. I grab another set of red and the same thing happens 3 more times. I feel like i am wasting my time here with these lights cause by no means should this be happening to the extent that it is. I mean if these things cant handle being strung out in my garage how on earth are they gonna handle being strung out in trees between branches. These lights are by far brighter then any store bought light but the quality of this years CDI lights leave me 2nd guessing myself if i made the right move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gosh folks ive never imagined such a failure rate !! it has to be in the 10 to 20 percent range!! im very pleased with my CDI M5-6's i purchased. but again they are 2007's. out of all the LED's ive purchased over 2 years ive only had one set that didnt work. sams club C7 with screw on covers and removable bulbs.. i fixed those a couple weeks ago. had a wire that didnt seat in a bulb socket.. heck even the LEDS i took back to Kmart still worked. they were just rusty.. but for 5 bucks a string compared to some leds i could buy and replace them every year for 2 or 3 years!! i sure hope we all have better luck with the diogens, the half wave diogens, and GKI's flex changes!!!

I got 2 cases (96 strings) each of 100-ct R, G, B & WW M5's. I had 1 bad red, 2 bad green and 4 bad blue (and 1 missing blue). I just got the WW today and haven't checked them yet, but Paul immediately replaced the R, G & B lights (including the missing one.)

I purchased 96 sets of M5's from CDI and had a problem with only 1 string. Paul is sending me a replacement for that one.

chuck yep thats almost 5%!~!~!~! GSXR7500's problems started when they tried to zip tie some together. so the numbers will more than likely go up!!

ive read stories on here when people got mad cause they lost a string or two after using them for a season!! now folks are losing 5 to 10 percent before they even get them on the house?? sum ting wong

I ordered the G15s - 100 light strands - 3 cases of each red/blue/green. Initially I had about 15 strands that would not light. These typically came from the smaller cube shipping boxes. Which I assume allowed for more stresses while shipping.

The problem here is the shape of the lights. The round balls lined up and bunched together would allow for external pressure to cause the lights (round balls) to rub/push into eachother forcing some to want to rise out of their plugs. Although, I hate the idea of more packaging, it seems that there must be a better way to pack them to avoid this type of stress.

I had one blue strand that started to smoke and released a nasty brown oilish liquid from the round diode thingy at the front of the strand. The rest seem to be loose or bad connections.

Since the initial testing, I was able to get 7 of the non lighters to start working. This usually involved a few taps on the floor in different areas of the strand until the loose light made contact and blinked. Then I would narrow down which light was the culprit and give it some special attention. 50% of the time this fixed it. The other 50% - well I am calling CDI soon for replacements.

I too, am a little scared of the failures mentioned. I am very concerned about the longevity of my investment. This year might be fine, but how many times will I have to find that one loose connection?

I may have to physically change the connections at some point. Maybe even solder them directly. Seems a shame to have these types of thoughts.

I understand there will be some failures but my problem is i stringing them in my garage and they are failing what happens when i am stringing them in a tree. Last year i bought 48 sets of blue c6 and 48 sets of white c6 that were great. When i installed them in my mega tree they took a beating and when i took them down the same. How will these fare for out door installation we will see. Lets face it most of us are not buying these leds to decorate indoor xmas trees. I just dont understand how noone else at CDI caught this replaceable light thing before shipping of these lights. My 1st major clue was the extra bulbs wrapped in the bag tied to the light set. Im just starting to get frustrated and i guess this is my chance to vent Lord knows everyone else things im crazy when it comes to christmas LOL So the people on here are the only ones who understandLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Edited by gsxr7500

Correction - I got 2 cases of each color but that's only 48 strings. (Which makes the failure rate even higher.)

I just tested the whites - I got 2.5 cases (60 strings) - and had 5 inop strings. :(

On the plus side, I had NO loose bulbs and ALL of the C6 Icicles worked just fine. I hung 3 or 4 strings out back for testing and they are still fine. (I think! ;))

Edited by ChuckHutchings

how did you get 2.5 cases?? paul wouldnt sell me a half case of anything. i tried to order 3 full cases. and a split case. he said NO! nor would he work with me on a larger order .. just said NO! actually i sent him an email and he didnt even take the time to answer. he just pasted NO's next to all the questions i asked. i guess it was a blessing. : )

oh and everyone remember. NO WHINING : )

Edited by CARS8

I have been reserving judgement on this whole issue until I had time to test a few strands. After reading some of the posts I just tested a case of warm white 100 count c-6's. 3 out of 24 were DOA. I would expect a few strands out of the 400 or so I bought to fail, but more than 10% is disturbing. The troubling part is this is the infant mortality rate, not the latent failure rate. I hate to think I spent this much money on going with LED's just to find out the things are going to go out after a week or two in service. I bought these since it was my understanding that they were one piece construction - false, and that they were the best lights on the market - apparently false. I will reserve the all out frustration I am feeling right now until I test the rest of the lights. Maybe I just got a beat up case. I just don't have a warm and fuzzy about the whole thing.

Off to test lights.

I've just discovered a new, rather unique, problem...

I had my wife plug in all 60 strings of Warm Whites and separate the ones that didn't work. Since she was only told to see if they were "On or Off" she did a wonderful job BUT...

I've started cutting the labels off and doing a secondary check to make sure they still work when one string REALLY STUCK OUT at me because it looked like a 50/50 mix of Warm and Cool white bulbs. I went back and checked the 5 or so I had already done and it appears that they are a "random mix" of both colors. I only noticed it on the one string since they were kind of grouped by color.

I tried to take a picture but they're so bright you can't see the difference in the photo. I'll keep playing around to see if I can adjust the exposure. Hmm....where is my tripod??? ;)

If anyone else got whites, I'd be interested to know if they're all the same color or not.

Edited by ChuckHutchings

If anyone else got whites, I'd be interested to know if they're all the same color or not.

Hey Chuck, same here. I received 48 strands of C6 cool whites. All work well but I noticed the different bulb colors on many strands too. I haven't mentioned anything because I thought it was maybe a minor thing but I haven't strung a string out to see a real difference. If there is a big difference, I hope there is a fix. I know some want cool and some want warm, but not both on the same string.

We will see...

The strings are for sure different this year than last year, to include those huge diode/rectifier lookin housings. I hope they are water proof :confused:.

Nothing against Paul or CDI, but there are a few red flags on this post since the new order has been sent out.

My last years order of C6s, I love and haven't had one problem.