Ever try decorating your whole street?

Last year I purchased 23 3' artificial Christmas trees from Wal-Mart for $.99 each on the 90% clearance.

At the time I figured I would use them as mini trees in my display.

As fate would have it there are 23 houses on my street which got me thinking what if I could put one on every lawn to decorate the whole street with my house being the last one on the dead end street, sort of like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow(sort of speak).

I mentioned this idea to my wife and in typical fashion she say's I'm crazy and wasting my time that no one will allow me to do this.

What I would do is supply the tree with 300 minis per, each home owner can choose the color mini's they prefer from red, green, gold, blue or multi.

I will put up and take down, maintain any burnt out lights and supply the extension cord if needed (hopefully takers can supply the cord) other than the possible cord the home owner only needs to supply the electric.

I plan on sending out a post card explaining my idea and if they would like to take part they can mail the card back to me or clip it to their mail box on a specified date for pick up.

In the letter I would like to mention what the electric cost to the home owner would be for the thirty + nights/ five hours per night the trees should be lit, but am unsure what the cost would be.

Any idea what a string of mini's cost per hour of usage?

When do you think I should mail the card out?

Anyone ever try doing something like this?

Thanks for listening.

Couldn't hurt to ask. 300 minis, particularly the energy-saving variety, are pretty negligable power-wise.

But how are you going to control them? If you have to buy everyone a timer, that will add $$$'s...

Assuming 5 hours a night, 30 display-days:

300 standard minis approx 120w x 150 hours = 18 kwh.

300 energy-saving mini's approx 72w x 150 hours = 10.8 kwh

Multiply this times your electric rate (which is in $s/kwh, shown on your bill) and you get your total cost for each person.

-Tim

But how are you going to control them? If you have to buy everyone a timer, that will add $$$'s...

-Tim

I was hoping they could turn them on and off for themselves.

I wish I had LED's that way they could run 24/7 and only cost pennies a day.

O SURE there goes the minis That I needed, LOL sounds like A great idea. I do something to the sort on a few homes in my neck of the woods ( BUT MY HOUSE COMES FIRST) sometimes. Good job, if you could use a few cords to make this happen I will send some just for the cause. cause I want too.. Bob.

I was hoping they could turn them on and off for themselves.

I wish I had LED's that way they could run 24/7 and only cost pennies a day.

Well, worst case, using my above assumptions: 30 days @ 24 hours day is either 86 kwh or 52 kwh. At the national average of about 10 cents/kwh, that's only $8.60 or $5.20 for the whole season if you leave it on 24/7, or about 29 or 17 cents a day, so that's still pennies a day ;)

I'm not sure you'll be happy with relying on people to plug these in every night manually. Most folks aren't home regularly, and even if they are, they'll forget. So they probably will either need timers or use them 24/7...

-Tim

Maybe you can volunteer to walk through the neighborhood and turn the trees on and off every night. You could get feedback from neighbors on your display, answer questions if someone else wants to start decorating like you and you can be the local neighborhood watch patrolling for problems. Be sure to wear something bright so you won't get run over. Hopefully, no one will cause the law thinking you are vandalizing.

Maybe you can volunteer to walk through the neighborhood and turn the trees on and off every night. . Be sure to wear something bright so you won't get run over.

I work second shift so that out as far as getting run over hardly anybody comes down my street. I live on a cul de sac road that is less traveled.

I remember once I had to call for the police to come and they asked me were my street was. I would like to get the word out about my display,so people could come see it, I guess it will take several years for word of mouth to spread.

Flanigan, Money is always an object. I couldn't even imagine how much cord would be needed for me to run every tree. Keep in mind I would have to go around driveways so they don't get sucked up in a snow blower or plow.

I would need miles of cord.

I'm going to shop around for some really cheap timers.

You never know what will turn up at a dollar stores

I think I want to live on your block!

I know I would LOVE someone to offer to do that!

Now, personally, I would have no problem with someone asking me to supply my own electricity, extension cord, and or timer (although I would probably just plug at darkness and unplug when I went to bed....)

I know even my grinchy neighbors who never decorate would do this if someone else did the work (supplying a ready to plug in tree).

My only thing is that I would personally hand out the postcards. My family (kids especially) are notorious for throwing away anything and everything that looks like junk mail, and this might get thrown away.

Just my thoughts

Perhaps you can also make it into a contest (tree decorating contest) to be judged Christmas? Perhaps have a drop box with cards for visitors to select their favorites.

Just a thought.

If someone does not want to be involved, perhaps their neighbor would be willing to put up two trees in the yard on either end to help with the break in symetry?

Good luck. POST PICTURES!

-Rob

• 4 weeks later...

I work second shift so that out as far as getting run over hardly anybody comes down my street. I live on a cul de sac road that is less traveled.

I remember once I had to call for the police to come and they asked me were my street was. I would like to get the word out about my display,so people could come see it, I guess it will take several years for word of mouth to spread.

Flanigan, Money is always an object. I couldn't even imagine how much cord would be needed for me to run every tree. Keep in mind I would have to go around driveways so they don't get sucked up in a snow blower or plow.

I would need miles of cord.

I'm going to shop around for some really cheap timers.

You never know what will turn up at a dollar stores

I have though about controlling a couple houses in my circle on either side of me. I have even joked about it with the neighbors. It has never happened and probably wont happen because I am a college student and time and funds are rather lacking right now. It would be very cool though.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a great idea. Do you have any people on the street that never decorate for the seasonas in grinchy or bah-humbug people? The trees would hopefully help get peoples attention that live at the other end of your street so that people will come off the main road to see whats up with all the trees. I know there is a street in California or Arizona ( ithink) whre all the people on the street have to decorate, I think i saw it on HGTV last year. I think it was like christmas lane or something?

I think it is an awesome idea! The homeowners should be able to plug them in each night - maybe do a quick run thru the street and if they aren't on you can do it!

I would send out the postcards mid Nov. and if you haven't heard from some of the people I would go knock on the door, introduce yourself and tell them your idea! Some people might not read all of their mail or miss it!

I would be shocked if they all weren't excited about your idea!

~Teri