mr-16 question

I know a lot of you put plastic globes over your MR-16's to weatherproof them.

Is this absolutely necessary? That is, if I were to, say, put the mr-16 at the end of a pvc pipe, and use silicone to seal between the pipe and the mr-16, shouldn't that be sufficiently weatherproof?

Thanks,

-Tim

I was wondering the same thing. Do you think potting them in epoxy or clear acrylic would mess up the focusing of the led's or the electronics?

Ah -- I haven't actually owned one of these yet, but I thought these were similar to some medium-base ones I've bought and which had a clear cover over the whole LED assembly. Evidently not?

-Tim

I have my MR-16 and I would say not covering them would be an issue. I believe Wirekat has taken these apart and there are some type of circuitry behind the LEDs. If that gets wet, I bet the bulbs would be ruined. Again, in 100,000 hours when my bulbs burn out I will be able to take the bulbs apart and see what is behind them, but not at 5 bucks a piece.

I would say if you don't want to go the route of using the plastic covers, why not use Richard Holdman's method of plastic cups. I think he just used to cups and sealed them with silicon.

Yeah, I went back and looked at Wirekat's pics and I'd definitely want to seal these up. Like I said above, I was thinking the LED's were in a sealed enclosure, similar to some LED medium-base bulbs I've used.

Another question -- are the "hemispheres" available at someplace like Michaels?

Thanks,

-Tim

Tim,

Yes, I got mine there. However, they are not cheep. I think for the pair (2 halves) they were .99 cents a piece. You certainly can get them cheaper online.

Let me tell you, they are not easy to find. They were on the bottom shelf buried by a bunch of other stuff. I found them by the wooden "stuff" section, again on the bottom shelf. You honestly have to look for them, but they do have them.

Tim,

Yes, I got mine there. However, they are not cheep. I think for the pair (2 halves) they were .99 cents a piece. You certainly can get them cheaper online.

Let me tell you, they are not easy to find. They were on the bottom shelf buried by a bunch of other stuff. I found them by the wooden "stuff" section, again on the bottom shelf. You honestly have to look for them, but they do have them.

I got mine there too, but they were $1.69 each. I think mine were the 60mm size. They were buried too! Think I saw them last year at one of the dollar stores.

This is where I got mine, might not be the cheapest but good company.

http://www.thisandthat4you.com

Calum

Do you have a link within the store? I couldn't find them and I'm not quite sure what search terms to use...

EDIT: Never mind-- found them! (search for 'ornament')

Are the 60mm size sufficient?

Thanks,

-Tim

Here is what I did with my MR 16's , got them from wirekat. Did a lot of research looking at all the different ways everyone has built their floodlight holders. A lot of great ideas, which got me thinking even more about a more permanent approach. I found some Malibu flood light fixtures on season ending clearance at my local Lowe's.

The LED lights are approx 1/4" taller than a standard MR 16 halogen lamp. I removed screws to the lampholder to be able to push it futher down inside the fixture. The angle that the floodlight sits in the holder does not change the effect in the lighting. This was tested and compared to a standard fixture before I continued. Hope this helps.

Richard

post-7299-129571059437_thumb.jpg

post-7299-129571059444_thumb.jpg

post-7299-129571059452_thumb.jpg