to have or not have a light up party

I've been bouncing back and forth on the idea of having a "Light up" party for the first full night of the show.

was wondering from those who have similar get togethers what do you do? serve food? snacks? Christmas candy or cookies? what about beverages? Do you have it inside your house or outside or both?

everytime I start to think about some planning I feel like I'm getting way to much into it for such a short thing?

DON'T DO IT! :D:cool:

Well... 5 years ago I had one.... I invited the neighbors their friends/etc. We had 30 people. I set up in the garage, served pizza, cookies, and hot chocolate.

Just as it was getting dark, the rains came. I blew out EVERY SINGLE GFCI and the show was a disaster.

Lesson: Light-up parties = rain storm.

(Seriously: I think it's a great idea!)

I used to do them every year until I went animated. The stress is bad enough with a static display with 25,000 lights. I refuse to go through that with 50,000 animated lights. I'll put them up at my own pace and Try it out as I go. That way there's minimal stress. I tell everyone it will be up and running the 1st of Dec. however it probably wont be finished;)

This will be the second year we have had a party. I do one the first weekend in Dec. that way I have worked all the bugs out & all I have to do is turn the computer on & party. I serve a snack tray from the delli hot dogs & chese & crackers. It is a BYOB that way you can save a lot of money. Hope this helps & if in Florida 12/6 come on by.

Mike Mais

I used to have one every year until 2 years ago, I finally just gave up trying, All the last minute rushing to finish everything on time, and all the other stuff that go's into a party, and yet I always seemed to Blow a few breakers As soon as the Lights Went on , that never failed to happened,lol, So now I Just shoot for a Date and if everything is not done on time , Oh well, I would rather do it right and have fun, rather than rush, and be stressed , But yet it is still fun to have people around for a good countdown!:D

Dexter

"If it's just you... then it sounds more like a drunk guy with a bag of chips staring glassy eyed at his own lights in amazment"

You say that like it's a bad thing...LOL:p

I am still amazed by my display:cool: Amazed I don't get put in an assylum:oLOL

I have had one the last 2 years and have not had a successful one yet. First year rain and GFCIs tripped. Last year my sequences would not run because I did not have the latest LOR software loaded. I am not going to give up though, at least it is a good excuse to get together with friends and neighbors and have some drinks! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I ALWAYS have a party with free food and beer.

I just don't invite anyone but me. :P

I can't tell you how many events like this usually end with me making the following two statements: 1) Hey...these aren't my pants, and 2) This in not my yard.

I say go for it!

This will be our second year of having a lighting party and in my opinion it is the best night of the season. Last year we had around 75 of our friends and family over the Saturday after Thanksgiving to "kick off" the Christmas season and it was a blast!!

It was such a success that we have been getting nudges from friends trying to make sure that we

I've been bouncing back and forth on the idea of having a "Light up" party for the first full night of the show.

was wondering from those who have similar get togethers what do you do? serve food? snacks? Christmas candy or cookies? what about beverages? Do you have it inside your house or outside or both?

everytime I start to think about some planning I feel like I'm getting way to much into it for such a short thing?

I've already invited 200 people for Thanksgiving night. I have the entire week before off, (not the week of) so the Sunday before I can do a test run, 3 days to make fixes etc. One last test Thanksgiving Eve and if it doesn't work I have all day Thanksgiving to move across town.

I have two... The first one is only for my family, brothers, and two friends. (We are the ones that set everything up) That way I can make sure everything works fine, and do any tweaking if needed. I only run one sequence at a time to get things finalized that way we keep the gathering down, also this is usually a week or two before the official light up. We then (as requested by my neighbors) to do a show the night before official light up. We all get together, one of the neighbors maks a huge batch of hot chocolate, the other neighbors all pitch in with cookies, and adult beverages. And they hold it in my neighbors garage. It's not that much of a big deal for me but my kids and wife have a blast.

I say go for it. Try it at least once and if it fails chalk it up to experience to know not to do it again. Don't go all out on the food and such .Just something simple

After all you do live in Texas and they always say they do thing's bigger and better in Texas do they not ?!?!;):P:cool::D:)

How about a SETUP party? That way people feel part of the program. It helps breed a feeling of community. Then again some just want to watch.

How about the person on the OTHER side of the street throw the party since they will get to enjoy the display the MOST. And they can have a running pool (bet) on how many breakers or CGFIs you pop.

I hated the stress of a deadline. I found that I preferred to add a little whenever I felt like it. I started Thansgiving day but would not turn the display on until December. And even then it was short nights (2 hours only from dusk.) Right before Christmas I would turn the display on for more hours for the RANDOM chance someone would come look. Of course this past Christmas, our new Border Collie decided the cords were fun to chew on. Since the power was off all day, no shocks. That is until I came home and half the display was dark. I was shocked, then sick at seeing those new LED strings chewed in half. I think he's getting over it finally. But I am not putting up many lights this year - JUST IN CASE.

This will be our third light up night party, we have had upwards of 150 people show up from 5 different states. one suggestion is to not serve ALCOHOL there is a lot of liabilty concerned with that. the party really seems to bring the neighborhood together, and i believe it is one of the reasons they tolerate the long lines of traffic.

we have many of the neighbors make pies and cookies and such and we all have a great time. another thing we do is have a raffle to help boost our charity numbers, usually its an inflatable or blowmold, and its a big hit

bob

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to have one last year but things got well interesting. The cookies were baked, the wine was chilling, the cheese was cut but the lights were temperamental and did not end up working that weekend till we called it a night at 1am, and regrouped the next day after having though about the problems. After ordering stuff the next weekend it worked but only at 2:18am at about 28F and the freezing rain began as we just got everything working.

This year I hope things work better. In theory if we get it up Friday or Saturday night and do a little testing saturday night. I think it would be nice to have a little something for the neighbors on Sunday evening with a little food, wine, etc and have an private first time viewing etc. Time will only tell if this truly works though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a "Putting Up Christmas Lights Party". I invited friends and family over (not too many people) to help put up the lights. That way, I can get my little sisters boyfriend on the roof and I just yell up at him what to do. I'm having a cookout, hamburgers and hot dogs, chips, no alcohol (beer + electricty + heights = bad). I'm going to start the night before with the main parts so I know its done right. Then the party starts on Saturday morning and will probably last all day. It's not a big party, just some people to help me if I need it.

On the bottom of the invite I put "BYOCL", so I'm getting some extra lights for free...

Free is always good.