PlanetChristmas 2008 Christmas Card Exchange

Hello everyone! As I agreed to take this responsibility from LisaJ, I've shamelessly hijacked text from a few of her 2007 posts:

Sept. is just a few days away and its time to start thinking about the 2008 card exchange! Where has the year gone?

Now for the details.......

*If you are interested in joining the card swap please send me your name and mailing address and also include your PC member name. You may PM me here at PC or send an email to [email protected]. I will be emailing everyone periodically with updates on the swap so make sure you also send me a good email address. (That's also where I'll be sending the exchange list.)

*Please let me know if you are interested in sending to ALL who sign up, or if you would like to be a part of one of the smaller round robin groups I will create. The size of the round robin groups will depend on the # of people we have signed up, but will not be greater than 20. I believe last year's list was about 67 people.

*I plan to pass all the U.S. addresses through the USPS address normalization program. This will convert words to USPS standards and add +4 codes to zips. If you have reason to believe standardization will mess up your address, let me know. (For instance, occasionally normalization will change the name of the town, so that it coincides with a local post office substation.) I will notify anybody who's address gets changed by normalization to verify it with them. The reason for doing this is to speed up the postal service's processing of the cards.

*Please also let me know if you are willing to send cards to our PC friends in Canada and overseas.

*Your name will remain on the list unless: you specifically request removal, you have been inactive on PC for a month prior to the list release date, or you are no longer a member of PC.

*I'll be taking names until Nov. 9, and the list will be sent out to everyone no later than Nov. 11. This ensures that all cards mailed overseas will have ample time to arrive, and that we all have plenty of time to address and mail all of our cards!

*Cards can be handmade, store-bought, pics of families, etc. Please include your PC member name on the card somewhere so we can put names/pics/ID's together.

*I'm willing to prepare the list in a few formats. (Any that I'm capable of making.) I would imaging a word doc, and excel form, and a comma delimited text file would work for most people. Any other suggestions/requests will be considered.

*Most importantly, have fun and enjoy getting cards from all the PC friends!

Dwight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably get beat up again for this but I took part in the exchange a couple years ago but didn't send to everyone on the list, but just to the people that I had talked with or recognized .

I was berated and beat down for not sending to everyone. Even though I still would like to send some cards out, I haven't gotten on the list again or requested a copy of it.

I'd go on but it wouldn't follow the 3 rules.

Bri

Dwight...

I don't know how I didn't see this when you first posted...

Brian....

I just don't think it's fair to sign up and not complete the task...whether you know the person or not they have committed to sending a card to everyone so I think it's only right that they get one in return.

It's not that much more of an expense.

Maybe if you don't feel you can complete the list...a better option for you and others who feel this way would be to just keep a personal card list and include only the people you wish to send cards to rather than to participate in this list...

Dwight...

I don't know how I didn't see this when you first posted...

Brian....

I just don't think it's fair to sign up and not complete the task...whether you know the person or not they have committed to sending a card to everyone so I think it's only right that they get one in return.

It's not that much more of an expense.

Maybe if you don't feel you can complete the list...a better option for you and others who feel this way would be to just keep a personal card list and include only the people you wish to send cards to rather than to participate in this list...

I agree with Jen, which shouldnt come as a surprise. I dont see the point in signing up for something when its specifically stated "send to all", help spread Christmas cheer,etc and then a person decides not everyone on the list is good enough or worthy enough for a card. Either stick with the commitment you made or dont sign up and waste the time(and money) of others who took the time to send to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand where you are coming from, but part of the fun of this is that you will get cards from the folks you've gotten to know well around here as well as from a few you might not know.

I think there should be some sort of minimal recommendation set forth that each person on the list send out xx number of cards, or at least 5 or 6 to folks you don't know as well

Thanks for volunteering to take this on. I took part last year and sent out cards to everyone. It was such a hoot getting cards from fellow PC'ers. My kids (teenagers) thought it was "creepy" getting cards from people I'd never met which I thought was really funny. I made sure I pointed out all my PC friend cards! While I recognized most of the names, I'm looking forward to one day meeting most of you at a PLUS....who knows maybe I'll make to 2009.

Have a great day,

Sally

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I knew this thread had to be around somewhere. Thank you Dwight for taking this on.

Last year Carl and I sent cards to everyone on the list.

We even sent cards to some people who were on the 2006 list but not on the 2007 one. The few people whom we knew had moved in the interim unfortunately didn't get cards due to a lack of address. A couple of people even sent PM's of thanks for thinking about them.

Sending Christmas cards is something I do to make me feel good. For me, if sending a Christmas card adds even a hint of a smile to someone

Here's a thought, why not divide the cards up into small groups by state.

We do have the option of participating in a subset of the group. People can let me know if they want to send to the entire list or just a subset. That way, if there is a desire to participate, but there are concerns about time or money, a person can still participate.

Dwight

We do have the option of participating in a subset of the group. People can let me know if they want to send to the entire list or just a subset. That way, if there is a desire to participate, but there are concerns about time or money, a person can still participate.

Dwight

Well....that is a good plan. How are the sub-set done?

It would just be nice sending cards to people in your state. Chances of meeting them in person is higher. You know having someone's address make it easier to see thier displays, and meeting them in person.

I look at sending cards as a way getting to know a person.

We would still like to participate..... I already sent you an email with our address.

M&K

Well....that is a good plan. How are the sub-set done?

It would just be nice sending cards to people in your state. Chances of meeting them in person is higher. You know having someone's address make it easier to see thier displays, and meeting them in person.

I look at sending cards as a way getting to know a person.

We would still like to participate..... I already sent you an email with our address.

M&K

If there is need for subsets I will do my best to give people the X geographically closest names for that very reason.

So far the count is 24.

Guest Scot Meyers

How about having those who want to recieve cards send thier address and then post the list. then we can send cards to those we know. or all its totally up to the user. ME I would send them to everyone because I have made friends with just about everyone here. but there are a few people who i would send a special card to and you all know who you are. just my 2cents worth

OH and count me in please

If there is need for subsets I will do my best to give people the X geographically closest names for that very reason.

So far the count is 24.

I would like to participate, possibly in a regional. I will PM with my details.

Dan

How about instead of just picking who we want to send one to, or putting us in 'sub-groups' by location, just assigning us groups? I.E. if there are 60 people, make 6 groups of 10, and everyone mails a card to a person in there group. I am thinking about signing up and as much as I would like to send a card to everybody, postage for 70 people would be a bit expensive right now.

Edited by christmaslover012
  • 2 weeks later...