Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Dwight_Gleason

PlanetChristmas 2008 Christmas Card Exchange

K, still trying to see how many add. Last year was about 60 and was kinda rough to buy that many stamps. lol Really enjoyed getting cards from all over and with us moving this year they would prob be the only cards we would get.

Actually, it was 45 on last years list (I just counted).

FYI, of the 45 I didn't receive cards from 15.

If you're going to participate, do it 100%, not 90 or 80. :[

I bought 64 cards today...They are very cool.

For those looking for cards you can get boxes of 32 at Wal-Mart for $3.00. They are cool, too, IMHO!

How about having those who want to recieve cards send thier address and then post the list.

OH and count me in please

With the changes in the PC forums such as every one (non-members) can see everything that is posted, I would not be comfortable with this idea. I personally would not like my information posted on the web for the entire world to see.

With the changes in the PC forums such as every one (non-members) can see everything that is posted, I would not be comfortable with this idea. I personally would not like my information posted on the web for the entire world to see.

Ditto! characters

Dwight, thanks for volunteering to handle this! Last year was my first year to participate in the card exchange and I enjoyed it very much. I prefer sending to the whole list.

Sending you a PM with my address info now :)

Kathi

Would again like to sign up for the Christmas card exchange this year. Who do I see or what do I do.

DUB

Would again like to sign up for the Christmas card exchange this year. Who do I see or what do I do.

DUB

PM Dwight Gleason with your mailing address, email and PC name and whether you want to send to the entire list or a smaller group. He is in charge of the PC Card list.

Hi all,

So far the list has 35 people on it. I've replied to everybody that has IMed or emailed their information to me, so if you haven't received a reply please let me know.

I was intrigued by Mike's list of "no-shows" and wondered how it compared to mine. I had kept track of the cards I received so I would know when to stop looking forward to more.

I received cards from 8 of Mike's "no-shows" and did not receive cards from another 7 from Mike's list. The remaining 1 person on Mike's list was a shock as it was me and I sent cards to everybody. There was also one person on my list that wasn't on Mike's list.

For a moment last year I thought I might not send to my "no-shows" if their names ever appeared on a future list, but I knew that wouldn't make me feel happy. Especially if I received a card from them this year. Having once found, under my passenger seat, a letter I thought I had sent, I know things like that can happen.

I also once had to re-send a W2 to an employee that didn't receive the one I sent. Three years later I received a letter from him. With his letter was the original W2 in plastic bag. A farmer had drained his pond and discovered several bundles of mail. Evidently the mail carrier would get tired of doing the job part way through the route and threw the bundles into the pond. The post office delivered all of them that they could read.

Clearly some people's cards were lost en-route, some people only sent to part of the list, and some people just didn't get around to it at all. We'll always have to deal with the possibility of lost mail, but hopefully as was agreed participants will keep their commitment to send to all the people on their list. (Whether they've asked to be on the complete list, or on one of the partial lists.)

FYI--For those who like to use Christmas stamps when mailing out their cards the post office received those in Oct.23 so go in and stock up! :)

So far the list is at 39. I will be sending test emails sometime today or tomorrow to check email addresses and verify that I have the correct postal address information.

Dwight

I am so excited about the Christmas card exchange, I did this last year and was excited to get cards from all over our states, over seas and Canada it was a lot of fun and can't wait to do it again!

Hi all,

There are 4 people who sent their information by PM, but didn't send me an email address. Please check your Private Messages for a message requesting your email address so I can include you on the list.

I've sent everybody else two email messages.

One is to verify their email and postal addresses.

The other is an update on the count, and a question I have for you.

Please reply to both.

Thanks!

Tyler - I can't remember when I sent mine last year. I think it was just after Thanksgiving weekend.

Dwight

Awesome! I can't wait to get the list.

When should we mail them?

I think you can send them whenever you want, as long as they arrive by Christmas. I personally send all Christmas cards out the 1st weekend of December. I just like to be an early bird I guess :)

*I'll be taking names until Nov. 9, and the list will be sent out to everyone no later than Nov. 11. This ensures that all cards mailed overseas will have ample time to arrive, and that we all have plenty of time to address and mail all of our cards!

Ok... Since there are no overseas cards this year I'm going to wait one more whole day before sending out the list. (I guess, technically, I already have as it's past midnight.)

I'm hoping that the few people who haven't replied to the test/verification email messages will reply before I send out the list, but I won't put it off too long as I'm going to be out of town starting on the 14th. I apologize for not verifying info as I received it.

Dwight

Hi everybody!

I've just sent the lists out. Everybody should receive an email with an excel spreadsheet of the addresses and a word document that's formatted to print on Avery 6250 labels.

If you don't receive your email let me know. (PM or email to [email protected])

If you receive TWO or more emails with slightly different attachments please let me know.

I made 7 versions of the lists so people who needed smaller "round-robin" groups could be accommodated. It's set up so that everybody should get a card from everybody on their list.

If you seen a problem with your address please post here saying "There is a problem with my address, don't send cards to me yet." Then PM or email me. Don't post your address corrections here. I will be out of town from 11/14 to 11/21, but I will make any needed corrections as soon as I return.

If you can't use the lists in the formats I've sent, I can do my best to produce your list in another format. Since I will be away for the week, I won't be able to help quickly, though it should still be plenty of time.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight_Gleason