Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Classic.Lights

Are we on track?

I just started putting up my lights today, got lotz to learn on all this so i thought i start early :)

You are wise to start early. I was gonna start Nov 1st but seems like it is going to be a rainy weekend for me.

Good Luck

Alex

Eugene, Oregon

Hippie Town USA

My HOA doesn't allow us to put lights out till thanksgiving. Makes it an interesting weekend! I'm almost done with my electrical, mini trees, arches, bethlehem star, and sign. I still have most of my shows to sequence, but that is so much easier this year than last year. I'm using auroa, rather than the spectrum software, which was horrible. I still need to build my window frames, and my mega tree as well. Lots to do, but at least I know a definitive date for starting to put things out!

Southern Oregon is going to get a little rain this weekend also, I started a weekago with some of the big stuff and the roof so I didn't have to work in the rain to much. There are plenty of days left to get wet before start-up.

Well best of luck to you all, stay dry and be careful.

Dave,

I sure hope your display is surviving this wind!!! Luckily, it has blown all the leaves from the trees I need to wrap.

Towerman so far so good. I try to tie down everything with some bigger sized rope to handle the wind! Last year everything faired OK. I hope things will be the same this year. I have a bigger coro going up on the roof this year. Hows the set-up going?

I got a start on my mega tree this afternoon. I used a telescoping mast for TV/HAM radio that will extend to 20'. The tree is only going to be about 12' this year. 16 channels, two colors. I hope to have the lights strung on it by the end of the weekend, if the weather cooperates!

post-9096-129571080629_thumb.jpg

post-9096-12957108064_thumb.jpg

post-9096-129571080647_thumb.jpg

I started over a week ago, had to beat the weather, it's not fun being on the roof when it's covered with snow and ice. I've decorated for years, but this is my first year doing animation, lots of extra work. The neigbors think I'm nuts, after the last couple of 30 degree mornings I think their right.

Happy Holidays , Everyone !!!

Yahoo!!!! Looking at the weather report for Portland for the next 7 days and there's no rain. I know what I will be doing this weekend. Life is good when I can put up the roof light and not get wet. :)

Paul

Looking at the weather report for Portland for the next 7 days and there's no rain.

7 days without rain in Portland? Are you guys up there in a drought?:)

7 days without rain in Portland? Are you guys up there in a drought?:)

Yeah, massive drought, and we're loving it. Whooo Hooooo !!!!! I've got tomorrow off; let's pour some hot chocolate and start busting tail.

-Darin

WOW! Looking at the dates of your entries... I am impressed. No Christmas Display activity happens at our place before summer is over. As much as I would prefer the work to be done throughout the year, it never happens. We have added more controllers, more lights & new songs to this year's show. Now the panic is setting in. I keep thinking of how much easier it would be to not change it every time.

How do you possibly get stuff done? I've been working on my stuff all year long this year and I'm still behind. I changed my display around the first two years and its hard to keep up with. This I come up with a design I'm happy with, so this is the way the display will be every year now!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope:o

It's is ready difficult changing all the songs every year! Good luck to you.

Did everybody make good use of the weekend? I didn't accomplish everything on the plan, but I did complete the megatree, the leaping arches and 150 ft, 4 color perimeter fence. It looks like Halogen spot lights and rain gear for the remainder of the setup.

I got pretty much what I wanted to get do and even had time to do a little ATV riding on Sunday. From what I hear we still have until Wednesday before the wet stuff hits. Might do a little more before then but it will be in the dark by the time I get home.

Paul

I'm pretty much done. Have a couple of things I won't bring out until Thanksgiving Day, but the wiring is in for them. The neighbors have no idea I'm going animated this year, it's going to be a surprise. I still can't figure out how I got done so early.:)

Well I've got everything up and going. With this great weather we had yesterday and today my wife and I were able to get everything up and working. I even had a chance to test out the lights and video that I will be doing last night. I had a small problem with addressing one of my boxes but once I got that taken care of everything ran like a charm. Doing my set up without rain really gave me a good opportunity to do a good job of weather proofing my connection, so hopefully I wont have any problems when the rains do hit. Here's hopeing that everyone setup goes as smooth as mine did. :)

Merry Christmas...

Paul

Hey Paul,

Can you PM me with your location and let me know when the active display hours are? I wanted to steal some ideas :)

I'm still setting my display up because it's a solo project. I spent Friday and Saturday building a Ramsey FM25. It works great, but that project put me behind schedule.

When there is no rain, it's easy to grab a few spotlights and work and night. I'm still hoping for Dec 1, for animation with no sound, and then finish the sequencing about 5 days later.

How's everybody else doing? ... you guys down south (salem, eugen, medford), to the north (Brandon?),

-Darin

Hello everyone,

Well I'm a 1/4 way done. the Mega tree is up and stable which really turned out to be a big fight. Just little stuff mostly, adjust the lower ring because it was to wide, replace bad strings that broke while going up. A four hour job took 12 when it was all said and done.

Anyway, I hope to skip out of work early today to get all the other lights up today and tomorrow. The show must go on right. ;)

Well theirs your report from NC. I'm looking forward to everyone's video's real soon now.

Ted

Edited by tallan

Looks like I will be done by Fri. My lights Display starts Sun @ 5:30 I should be looking good for the opening. The weather has been good and it's nice to see a little sun during set-up for a change. Good luck everybody and Merry Christmas :):):)

No where close to being finished. Got the house mostly done. Looks pretty good. Having issues with some of my led flickering on fades. Gonna have to make the fades quicker. Not gonna worry about it with them already up. Still have to get the mega tree up and all the little trees and extension cords made an ran. On the flip side today I screwed up a controller. Hopefully LOR will get me the part I need quickly they usually do if not oh well my bad. Portland folks need display addresses and times definitely want to come see them. Brandon

I gave the neighbors a preview tonight. Fired the system up and let it run for a couple of hours. Got compliments from all of them, They love it.:D