Lights gone forever????

I may be out 44 boxes of C9 LED's and 5 cases of minis and here's how. This event occuerred with my neighbor who had asked me to control his house in 08. So we went in half on 11 cases of lights and I also got the LED's. Which set in his garage.

About 2 weeks ago my wife had the kids out and they took our two dogs for a walk.

When they got back my neighbor opened up his garage and his 3 and 5 year old came running to our yard from across the street, while he remained in his garage working. The 2 kids asked my wife if she was taking the dogs for a walk. Which she said we just got back and are going in to get ready for bed, school tomorrow. The dogs got excited when the kids were around and started jumping around, so my wife brought the dogs onto our front porch. In the midst of all the excitement his 3 year old followed my wife up onto our porch, and at some point the dog yelped and the little girl was on the ground. No one saw the dog bite her, nip her, or whatever. Not my wife, the dad, or the other neighbor who was on her porch

My wife picked up the little girl and started yelling for her dad, who had no clue what had happened. So to make this long story a little shorter, they took the girl to the hospital, no stitches needed. I saw her today and she had two small marks by her mouth and a crease on her cheek about a half inch. The dog had to be quarantined, GA law, but has never bitten anyone before. My neighbor is mad at us and was madder when he requested we put the dog down and I refused. After that conversation he called me stupid and told me he would do what he had to do since I wouldn't comply. I was civil till that point, then promply responded "well you should have been watching your kids." Not the best thing to say, but it rolled out my mouth.

Now I have 5 cases of minis and 45 boxes of C9 LED's in his garage that I need to get back. We are on speaking terms, but again he remains upset with us. So what do I do to get my lights? The funny thing is 2 days prior we were in my basement mudding drywall, talkign , and drinking some adult drinks.

Hate to disagree with you, but if it were my dog that bit a child, GA would not have had the opportunity to quarantine it as my dog would have been put down immediately after the incident.

Do what you have to do to reconcile things with your neighbor.

It's unfortunate this happen. Are your dogs up to date on their shots? Here in Wisconsin, if they are not the police have the right to take your dog away and quaranteen them for 10 days and the owner even gets to pay for this and test's for the dog! If testing turns out to be negative then you can get your dog back but plan on a trip to court.

Personally, I think all animal owners should follow the laws and make sure their pets are up to date on vacinations. It's for the animals own health and your piece of mind.

About your lights... give your neighbor time to cool off. Did you let him know that his daughter followed your wife and the dogs up to the house without her knowledge?

Val

My dogs are always up to date on their shots. And we do follow the law. They are in a fenced in yard, and of course were leashed at the time, as always when we walk them. We were not in any violation of the law.

As for my neighbor, he was informed about his daughter following my wife up to the porch. My kids and his son were still in the yard. He thinks his daughter might have tried to hug up on our dog, but no one knows for sure what happened. My dogs are around my kids all the time ages 6,3 ,and 3. They habd on both of them, never a problem.

As for putting my dog down, if he would have seriously bitten her, then no questions about it. But this was more of a nip than a bite. It is unfortunate that this happened and we feel bad about it, but I do not think it warrants the death penalty to the dog.

Joey, that's a real unfortunate incident. I think you need to let things simmer down. As the owner, you are responsible for your dog's actions. If the dog has never bitten anyone before or shown aggressive behavior, you might want to consider why the dog acted that way. Has your dog been around kids before? If not, I wouldn't let it near any other children, ever. From the perspective of a parent, I would be upset if my child were bitten too, its a natural feeling but it will pass once the bites heal.

Only thing you can do at this point is apologize to your neighbor, offer to pay for the medical bills for the child..afterall a child is more important than a dog IMO. Show good faith and perhaps your neighbor will be willing to continue your relationship and you won't have to ask to get your lights back and things can go as planned.

Woah... Forget about the lights for awhile! That's the least of your concerns at this point... (lawsuits anyone?)

Give it a few days to simmer down, then do what you need to do to restore the relatoinship... Probably the WORST thing you could do right now is bring up the lights when the guy is worried about his kid's health...

-Tim

I am just curious, am I the only one who sees allowing a 5 and 3 year old to run around unattended as a problem?

Nope, I think that's a problem too and what happened to you happened to my brother. His Old English Sheepdog was sleeping. One of the neighbor kids, a small child, saw the dog sleeping and ran over to pet Baloo. Baloo was woken from a sound sleep and he bit her on the face, badly. The child's parents were outraged and called the animal control. My sister-in-law took a similar position as you are, she is a lawyer by the way. But nevertheless, Baloo was quaranteened and also faced the death penalty. The kid's parents wanted to have Baloo destroyed but once my brother and sister-in-law apologized and paid for the medical bills, the kid's parents dropped the charges.

They saved the relationship and their dog BTW.

Edited by Carrie Sansing
Addition

Joey, that's a real unfortunate incident. I think you need to let things simmer down. As the owner, you are responsible for your dog's actions. If the dog has never bitten anyone before or shown aggressive behavior, you might want to consider why the dog acted that way. Has your dog been around kids before? If not, I wouldn't let it near any other children, ever. From the perspective of a parent, I would be upset if my child were bitten too, its a natural feeling but it will pass once the bites heal.

Only thing you can do at this point is apologize to your neighbor, offer to pay for the medical bills for the child..afterall a child is more important than a dog IMO. Show good faith and perhaps your neighbor will be willing to continue your relationship and you won't have to ask to get your lights back and things can go as planned.

We have done all of the above. As I said before my dogs are around my children all the time. They have been around my neighbors children as well. Again, never had a problem. We have wondered why this happened, and it is hard to say as neither of our dogs have ever been aggressive.

Joey,

Your right, the father should have been watching those kids. At their ages, they had no business going across a street without an adult. If dad had been watching them, this more then likely would not have happened. Who know's what happen, the little girl may have yanked on the dogs tail or hurt the dog.

TIm, it has been around two weeks and the little girl is fine, not sure if I was clear on that. I did not even think of the lights at the time, now that some time has passed and the girl is fine, it dawned on me. I was worried about a law suit and that he would poison both my dogs when it first happened. He even told me his friends mentioned that he should do so. When it first happend my wife put the dogs up and immediatly went to his house to check on her.

He and I had talked a couple days later, and he apologized to me as well. He said after a day or two the marks were not that bad. He was just worried about a scar. We shook hands several times and talked, but you can tell he is still not very happy with us. As a parent I too would have been upset. Thank goodness the girl was not seriously hurt.

Edited by jfelix

We have done all of the above. As I said before my dogs are around my children all the time. They have been around my neighbors children as well. Again, never had a problem. We have wondered why this happened, and it is hard to say as neither of our dogs have ever been aggressive.

Joey, I was writing my reply when you posted so I didn't know your dog had been around kids. No doubt the little girl did something to your dog. Like Val said, she may have pulled its tail, poked it or startled it. I'm really sorry this has happened to you..your dog is a valuable member of your family. I hope it will all settle down and work out for you.

If no one saw anything, then how do you know that the dog actually bit her? Is it possible that the kid tripped fell down totally on her own also falling or grabbing for the dog which just startled the dog? Is it possible the marks were from her own finger nails as her arm hit the ground or the dogs toe nails as it tried to get away? I know it

TIm, it has been around two weeks and the little girl is fine, not sure if I was clear on that. I did not even think of the lights at the time, now that some time has passed and the girl is fine, it dawned on me. I was worried about a law suit and that he would poison both my dogs when it first happened. He even told me his friends mentioned that he should do so. When it first happend my wife put the dogs up and immediatly went to his house to check on her.

He and I had talked a couple days later, and he apologized to me as well. He said after a day or two the marks were not that bad. He was just worried about a scar. We shook hands several times and talked, but you can tell he is still not very happy with us. As a parent I too would have been upset. Thank goodness the girl was not seriously hurt.

In that case, sounds like the friendship just needs some time to heal. Maybe sitting down over a cup/can/glass of your favorite beverage would jump-start this process... It will give you a chance to sincerely (re-)apologize, say how much the dog means to your family, etc. and give him a chance to air any grievances with you...

Good luck,

-Tim

From our last coversaton I thought it was heading the direction of healing. I apologized again and we talked about not being feuding neighbors and he brought up the lights and wanting to do them. BUt when I saw him today and his daughter he still seems a touch mad at us. I said I was glad to see his daughter was doing a lot better and apologized again.

But it seems as if he blames us for this happening. As if we let this happen. His ex apparently even said we let our do bite their daughter(she was not there either). When the truth is my wife did everything she could to make certain the dogs were not near the kids. That is what bothers my wife and I.

Ernie you do have a point. No one saw the dog bite the little girl. My wife thought the dog spun it's backside around and knocked the girl down and she hit her face on the concrete. Animal control said it was a dogbite per conversation with the dad. I am surprised the hospital did not take pictures. I would have thought that was protocol. BUt my nieghbor said they didn;t.

I guess I will just give him time to heal and see how things go. I did not want to lose a neighbor whom I was friends with but we will see how it goes.

Yeah it's an unfortunate situation. My fiance was bitten in the face by my uncles Rotweiler about 6 years ago. Her face wounds required some minor help from the plastic surgeon. I guess the outcome was different as he put his dog down, begrudgingly. That is where the problems started. He made no effort to show remorse and sympathy for her, made no attempt to pay for any medical costs which continued to come up over and over when contemplating suing him to recover costs and damages. Well, ultimately it got ugly, he was sued, which his homeowners picked up the bill and now no one has heard from him for 5 years. Really unfortunare.

I guess the moral of the story is that he showed no regret for what happened and that is why things turned out the way they did.

I would appologize and show so much concern it that it makes you want to vomit. I would also offer over and over to pay for whatever needs to be done to meet their satisfaction. Consider a plastic surgery consult. I bit it would be no more than considereing a little skin abbrasion, which would not cost much and likely the little girl would want no part of it. I don't know, I am no lawyer so take my advice with a grain of salt. I generally have no idea what I am talking about.

Way to stir up the neighbor hood Joey. You get rid of your neighbor who hated your lights, then you do this to the neighbors who want to help you with the lights. WOW!!:eek: Remind me to stay closer to Hiram come Cristmas time...:D J/K Man, good luck and I hope all goes well for ya.

Hate to disagree with you, but if it were my dog that bit a child, GA would not have had the opportunity to quarantine it as my dog would have been put down immediately after the incident.

Wow. A bit over-reactionary don't you think? This situation is very unclear as to what happened. Nobody even saw it happen.

At what point is the childs parents at fault for letting this happen? If we for the sake of arguement take the side of the dog, then maybe the child grabbed, tackled or otherwise scared the dog. Why would you put the dog down in this case? Shouldn't the childs parent take responsibility for letting their child attack a strange dog?

Even in a worse case if you saw an aggressive tendancy in the dog, then there are lots of things to do before putting it down. Lots of people without kids adopt pets who turn out to not be good with kids. The thought of just snap reaction putting down a dog in a situation like this makes me ill.

Way to stir up the neighbor hood Joey. You get rid of your neighbor who hated your lights, then you do this to the neighbors who want to help you with the lights. WOW!!:eek: Remind me to stay closer to Hiram come Cristmas time...:D J/K Man, good luck and I hope all goes well for ya.

Thanks Shane. Actually my light hating neighbor got over herself and started talking to my wife again. They are not moving anytime son with this housing market. Although her hubby has been in Arkansas all Summer going back and forth twice a month.

As for this incident, it was an unforseen accident. I was really surprised by the whole thing. We have apologized several times. The little girl is fine other than a small scratch on her face thank goodness. But at what point does the hatchet get burried and we move past it. I could see if we were at fault here. The dogs were loose, we didn;t have them on a leash, we brought them to his house, whatever. But that was not the case. I offered to pay for medical expenses, but there really is none except for the ER co pay. It really bothers my wife that the neighbor is treating us as if we did this intentionally. But we will see how it goes.

I am just curious, am I the only one who sees allowing a 5 and 3 year old to run around unattended as a problem?

Haven't read the rest of this thread yet but this bugs the heck out of me. My neighbor has a just-turned-three year old and he roams around without parental supervision all the time. There are sooo many problems with this that it is sickening and all of my family and friends that come over can NOT believe how this child roams. We put one of those temporary metal post pools in this last spring and after telling the neighbors over and over to make sure they watch their boy... we found him numerous time in our yard over by the pool. It was so bad that we went to the town to make sure we were up to code with the pool "just in case". :(

Then the fact that we live on a road that has a speed limit of 45MPH but people typically go 55-60MPH. :( (we heard the mother SCREAM one time because he was going towards the road) :(

We also have 7 acres that extend behind our two neighbors houses and that boy has been back there on our paths(we cut multiple paths through the woods to take walks and such) multiple times. We actually heard the father yelling for him and then saw him walk way out back to find him. :( (we also have coyotes around so this is really not good)

It is sickening how little parenting some mothers and fathers do. :(

So yes... I do see the lack of parenting as a problem in your case. He/they should be happy the outcome was not much worse(as in a car accident or whatever).

-Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey
Guest Jeff_Womack

Unfortunately in today's screwed up society we that think as you do are outnumbered by the idiots of the world.

BTW maybe a call to child protection services is in order for parents who allow their 3 and 5 year old to wonder the streets.

Edited by Jeff_Womack

Joe,

Really sorry to hear about this incident, but it sounds good in a way that the neighbor is talking to you still, and not yelling.

OK....

We save the animals, you name it, there is a group to save it. (and treat them as equals)

Dogs are man's best friend, they are nice to people. (generally)

The above two statements are true so.....

If a dog randomly bites a kid, the dog should be killed?

If a kid attacks a dog, and the dog acts only in self defense, should the kid be killed?

If we treat animals as equals, then why are the punishments not equal?

Yes, I know humans are the dominate species and we are placed "in charge" by God, but.... this is so stupid, nothing to do with this thread, but animal activist groups are weird in my opinion....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joey,

I would give it some time. Keep up the friendliness and watch out for the little girl. Make sure she does not come around unsupervised. Personally, I would scoop her up next time she comes around so she does not fall and get hurt on your property. Perhaps take her back to her mom or dad. Or to win them all over, walk on over with her and ask if you can take the little girl to go get some ice cream! They might think you are trying to sugar coat the issue so perhaps something milder. But act happy and jovial with their kids and the parents and bring back the trust that these folks' kids are safe with you. So when the little girl comes over, you should stop and make sure she is safe and watched, just like she is your own little girl. I believe there is a saying that it takes a community to raise a child.

And don't give up. It does not sound like a dog bite and I bet the parents might be questioning that themselves. Kids fall down all the time. The parents are most likely upset and guilty because they were not there at the time and so they are looking for an outlet. Give it time and show these folks that you are a caring and friendly neighbor. Heck, invite them over for a BBQ. Show them that your dogs are under control.

But don't mention lights for a little while. I am guessing that when you start working on lights, he'll either return them or want you to do their lights again.

All in all, show them you are a good neighbor and that the Christmas spirit can live all year long!

And pet the dogs! Tell them they are good dogs!

Just some stuff to ponder. It probably sounds like a load of huey but who knows? In this mud and muck, there might be a nugget of gold you can take to the bank?