Lights gone forever????

Parent's always seem to put someone else at fault when their child gets hurt.:rolleyes:

NO young child should be out roaming the neighborhood by themselves .

About 10 year's ago I was watching tv and heard a knock at the door,it was a little 7 year old boy and his 4 year old sister . They said that their mommy wanted to know if she could borrow a cigarette. I looked behind them and saw their little bike's setting in the yard. I asked my son who at the time was 10 if he knew these kid's . He said that he had seen them before and that they lived in the trailer park across the highway:eek::eek::eek:I thought to myself OMG !!!!!!! What parent in their right mind let's a child that age ride across the busy highway ?????? I told my 2 kid's to come with me and I picked up the little girl and carried her light weight bike in my other hand . My son held the boy's hand and my daughter (12 at the time ) held my son's hand and we all walked across the highway to take these 2 kid's home SAFELY!!! When we got there ,I knocked and the mother came to the door and she had been ASLEEP!!!!!!! :eek:I told her where her kid's had been . She wasn't even aware that they were out of the house .

Wow. A bit over-reactionary don't you think? This situation is very unclear as to what happened. Nobody even saw it happen.

At what point is the childs parents at fault for letting this happen? If we for the sake of arguement take the side of the dog, then maybe the child grabbed, tackled or otherwise scared the dog. Why would you put the dog down in this case? Shouldn't the childs parent take responsibility for letting their child attack a strange dog?

Even in a worse case if you saw an aggressive tendancy in the dog, then there are lots of things to do before putting it down. Lots of people without kids adopt pets who turn out to not be good with kids. The thought of just snap reaction putting down a dog in a situation like this makes me ill.

No I don't think so a bit. As a teenager, I used to raise beagles. One particular year, I ended up keeping two of them. Both were able to escape from their pens and they roamed the neighborhood. During on of their escapes, they would chase strangers. Once, they bit a man. After that, I had to dispose of my dogs. I suppose I have a jaded attitude about how one should keep their dogs. This situation is a bit different because the dogs were leashed and the girl was an uninvited guest. Depending on the degree of the bite (did it draw blood or not), I would not hesitate to put my own dog down.

The funny thing is, since my original post, I was summoned for Jury Duty in a civil trial where a man shot his neighbor's dog while the dog was on the shooter's property. Thinking of this post, when the judge asked if there was any reason why one could not serve on the jury, I told him that there was no way I could ever decide against anybody that ever shot a dog in self defense or because a dog was on their property. I was drawn to remember that I too have shot dogs (with my pump pellet gun) that decide to cross the property line.

Needless to say, I was not chosen and allowed to go home.

A person can shoot another person's dog if their livestock is being threatened. I believe the same could be said if that dog was threatening their own cats, dogs, children or spouses. In-laws are on their own I guess. :rolleyes:

Last time we had an issue with the neighbor's dog killing our chickens we reported them to animal control. Animal control informed the guy that we have the right to shoot his dog if his dog was on our property. The guy came around steam'n mad but since he's about half my size and was on my property, he backed down. And guess what! No more dead chickens. I think since then, the guy's dog died, probably at the hands of another neighbor who IS trigger happy.

Hi Joey,

Same kind of thing happened to me a few years ago. The kid was a few years older but my dogs a bit bigger (German Sheperds).

Now you're on speaking terms and everything seems ok, just give it time. It took us and our neighbours about 3 months before everything was back to normal. All I can say is give it time (and offcourse buy the kid a gift for the shock).

Fons.

The dog yelped...in pain? An animal is allowed to defend itself IMO

No-one saw what happened...the hospital put dog bite most likely because that is what they were told

A parent lets a 3 YEAR OLD wander away!!! ??

My son is 2 & he doesn't go anywhere without us. And he is not allowed near the road or to cross the road, I don't see that changing anytime in the next few years

Once again American society...not my fault.....blame someone else

It's getting to the point where you need disclaimer signs up all around your property & people need to sign a legal disclaimer to be allowed on your property

If it were me I'd be upset, no way you can't be. And maybe he is upset (more) at himself just as much because he was NEGLIGENT in watching his children & he allowed this to happen. Divorced? Afraid his Ex may take away his visitation/etc?

A person (mid 20's) I used to know thought for some reason he should get down on all fours & bark/growl at the "nice doggy". Luckily his owner collared his dog before the pit bull ripped his face off. In that case the stupid human should have been brought outside & shot

Haven't tried yet. He is back to waving when he sees us. We were being snubbed for a while. I am just kind of waiting till I catch him outside or he sees me working. I plan to start hanging lights on my bye week Oct 18 so maybe if he sees me we can talk.

His ex was out in the cul de sac briefly this weekend. She said Hi to us and we said Hi back, but that was it. She talked to our other neighbor who was out there. Their daughter looks to be in god shape several weeks later so that is a plus. Apparently the ex made a comment about why my wife didn't talk to her other than saying hello.

We'll see how it goes. Keep you posted.

If the little girl truely was an uninvited guest you the property owner need to tell her to leave/tell the parents make a stink etc. If she is on your property you are responsible for her safety period. The same would apply to other hazards (uncovered wells / unsecured firearms) etc. Now if you were 100% positive the dog bit her no matter how slightly the dog needs to go. Since you are not sure the dog did anything at all you don't need to go that far. If I were you I'd get a baby sitter for the kids and get TSO tickets (coming to Atlanta soon) and invite them to go with you. That will get both of you in the mood for lights and Christmas. I hope everything works out! With that many lights I need to ride by your house to see your display.

• 2 weeks later...

Joey, I was writing my reply when you posted so I didn't know your dog had been around kids. No doubt the little girl did something to your dog. Like Val said, she may have pulled its tail, poked it or startled it. I'm really sorry this has happened to you..your dog is a valuable member of your family. I hope it will all settle down and work out for you.

One test that is made is the food test. Put food in front of the dog and then pet the dog while he eats. I believe it is recommended not to at least put the dog into breeding at least if they show growling or nip, bite or other type agressive behavior. If they do it once, there willbe a tendancy as they age to be come increasingly agressive and this behaviour is inheritable to puppys. If you inbreed or combine other dogs with semi agressive behaviour, it increases in the generations (ever heard of pit bulls?). So generally friendly behavioural traights are highly desired and sought after to keep the breed for future generations to be generall friendly to humans.

Well, we started speakingabout a week or two ago. I had a welding helmet of his to return, so it was the ice breaker. The vibe was not great at first til we walked about the Lights. Then we got to talking a lot. I walked away with my LED's and a plan to split up the other lights. So we are making progress. He even asked if he could borrow some of my Halloween stuff if I do not set up.

As for the dog, he is fine.He does not have an aggressive bone in his body. Unless you count tying to jump on you for lve and attention. (He doesn't do that to me as he knows better, but will try to climb in my lap.) My kids are in both our dogs face all the time, eating, playing, etc and the dogs just let them. The neighbors daughter seems to be fine as well. I think as we start to decorate he will come around more and more.

Hate to disagree with you, but if it were my dog that bit a child, GA would not have had the opportunity to quarantine it as my dog would have been put down immediately after the incident.

Do what you have to do to reconcile things with your neighbor.

How do they have proof the girl didnt fall on the porch, he mentioned they were on a porch (usually concrete) being with the fire co. i know our ems that is stationed in our station with us has gotten many calls for children falling and it uually ends up with an injury to the face of some sort. I wouldnt put the dog down for anything, its easier to say because its not your dog and your not attached to it. Especially with no proof the dog didnt even deserve to be quarantined. I do think that the neighbor is blowing this way out of proportion.