newbie blowmold user - what wattage bulb?

First year using blowmolds - what wattage bulb is viewed as ideal for an average blowmold? Not worried about the electricity part (the other 99% of my display is LED) just don't want to be too dim or too bright with the blowmolds themselves. This year all are the same - 30 penguins (the 28" with scarf version).

Thanks!

medman2000

Well depending on your mold and the socket size all my small molds have a C7 christmas bulb in them now the ones with your standard size household socket i use anywhere from 15 watt to 25 watt but some people use up to 60 depending on the size of mold. I myself always stay under 25 but mostly 15 as i dont like mine real bright i like them to glow but they still show up very nice. I think most of them tell you not to exceed 25 watts. :D

Cool thanks for the replies. Any special considerations if I'm planning on fading/twinkle/shimmer with LOR? Any certain bulbs handle that better than others? I'm starting to see how blowmolds can be an addiction for some, these are cool!

With the clf lamps you would not be able to use them on the LOR.

Cool thanks for the replies. Any special considerations if I'm planning on fading/twinkle/shimmer with LOR? Any certain bulbs handle that better than others? I'm starting to see how blowmolds can be an addiction for some, these are cool!

For your penguins, you wouldn't need to go over 15 to 25W. I use 15W bulbs in my penguins and I do control them with LOR. 15 to 25W IMO is plenty, especially if you have a lot of other lights in your display. I only use 40W bulbs in just a very few of my larger molds, but when those burn out, I will be stepping down to 25W (there is a lot of ambient light from other elements in the display, so the 40W bulbs here are really overkill) There are no special considerations you need to worry about, unless you were to use a CFL, they don't work properly with LOR. Good luck on your addiction..and if you keep hanging out in this forum, be warned, we are all ENABLERS! :)

First year using blowmolds - what wattage bulb is viewed as ideal for an average blowmold? Not worried about the electricity part (the other 99% of my display is LED) just don't want to be too dim or too bright with the blowmolds themselves. This year all are the same - 30 penguins (the 28" with scarf version).

Way back when there was a big discussion on this topic. here's what I learned from that thread. You want to have a selection of bulbs available. In addition to different wattages there are differences in color. A clear bulb will be brighter than a white frosted bulb of the same wattage. What you want is a balanced level of light from each blowmold. You can swap in different bulb types to get the desired level of light. A blowmold that is a darker color will need a brighter bulb to give off the same level of light as a lighter colored 'mold. For blowmolds that have the C7 cordset you may find that some of them are not bright enough. You can find many different types of chandelier bulbs with the same candelabra size base as a C7 bulb. They are easily found in 4, 5, 7, 15, 25, 40, and 60 watts. Be careful when you use the chandelier bulbs because they are longer. Make sure that they are not too close to the plastic on the front of the blowmold. You don't want to melt a hole in it!

TED

25 Watts will cost you about $2.50 for $2. I am cheap so I use 40W at 4 for $1. I only use 25W in really small molds such as candles.

I'm cheap too...I like the wal-mart 40 watts...last I bought were 4 pk for 88
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the info everyone! Very helpful!! Now that i've added my Noel candles I did find it a bit distracting that one was brighter than the other when close to each other. Also didn't even think about using different watts depending on where in the yard they will go - some will be in a much brighter area than others so I am planning on giving them a bit more watts/bulb.

These are awesome!! Hard to smuggle into the garage like my strings of lights or even some of the DMX stuff - no hiding these from my wife :( Luckily she likes them too.

Thanks!

medman

• 5 years later...

I have a small TPI snowman which I only use a 25 Watt bulb.  I felt that a 15 watt bulb would make it look too dull.  In my big Santa, I did use a 25 watt bulb for a long time.  However, when I looked at the tag, it said that the maximum is 60 watts.  I didn't want to use a 60 watt bulb because it's the border.  It may start to melt that way.  I upgraded it to a 40 watt bulb to make it look brighter.  I realized that santa could use a 40 watt bulb because he's bigger.  You can probably only use a 40 watt bulb in the bigger ones.  Is this right?