Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Richard,

Love your three-minute trees and plan to pay you the purest form of compliment - I'm going to copy them!

I am curious about how many lights you are using on your trees? Are you wrapping one strand between two of the shorter "stems"? How many lights on the very smallest ones?

Theron

I am wrapping the 10' and less stems with 50 count strings. The 15' I went up to 100 count. I think the 17' and 18' I may use a 100 count and 50 count strings. Each stem has its own string. I had a super short one in the very first picture but have removed it. I would say that a total of 6 to 7 stems is plenty for the 10' tree's. I am planning on 9 stems for the 15' tree and eleven stems for the 18' tree. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 74
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG!!!!! You just gave me the best idea ever!!!!

Ok, I was looking for small trees - you know the kind that HD sells for $19.00 for what 3?

Anyway, I searched here for how to make trees (as well as other places on PC) and everyone is using PVC pipe. I hate that stuff, you still have to either paint it, wrap it or tape it right????

DUH! My husband is a lighting wholesaler and can get Fluorescent Tube Guards for like $6 for 8 feet - they are colored!!!! AND Semi Transparent. If I cut them in 2 foot lengths and simply use Landscaping ties to hold them and the light strings down, all I have to do is run lights through the tube and spread them out on the ground in the shape of a tree.

I could top it off with a christmas ornament!

Wow! You are the best! Thanks!!!!! Now I can have big trees and little trees, Christmas Trees and frosty trees.....LOL!

I will do one up next week when hubbie brings me a tube guard and post a pic.

Angel

OMG!!!!! You just gave me the best idea ever!!!!

Ok, I was looking for small trees - you know the kind that HD sells for $19.00 for what 3?

Anyway, I searched here for how to make trees (as well as other places on PC) and everyone is using PVC pipe. I hate that stuff, you still have to either paint it, wrap it or tape it right????

DUH! My husband is a lighting wholesaler and can get Fluorescent Tube Guards for like $6 for 8 feet - they are colored!!!! AND Semi Transparent. If I cut them in 2 foot lengths and simply use Landscaping ties to hold them and the light strings down, all I have to do is run lights through the tube and spread them out on the ground in the shape of a tree.

I could top it off with a christmas ornament!

Wow! You are the best! Thanks!!!!! Now I can have big trees and little trees, Christmas Trees and frosty trees.....LOL!

I will do one up next week when hubbie brings me a tube guard and post a pic.

Angel

I would like to see the fluorescent tubes, I saw this once in a picture when I was searching google. I will try to find it again.

we had some winds last night and with only two peices of rebar it started to lean a bit. So for the 15' trees and above I am going to use a pipe in the middle and guy wire it, so I have absulutley no worries. I will then attach the stems by wires to hang away.

ok, I tried my idea for mini trees...took longer than 3 minutes, but not much.

I am not sure I like the effect yet. I am picking up some tomato cages tonight to try that too.

Here are the pics.

I used a clear tube guard for a fluorescent light and cut it down to 2 feet and ran a tie rod up the middle and looped the lights around it at the top, then folded it over to secure the strings of lights at the top.

I used landscaping pins to secure the stands at the bottom. I suppose if I added more loops - I used a 50 light strand with white wire just to show how it is looped around, then added another 100 light strand that I didn't even use all of.

I figure if I used a full 100 light strand it might be ok.

What do you think? I was thinking about putting about 10 of these in front.

Angel

I think you will be happier with the tomato cage mini tree's. They take a little time to put together initially but they look good and once they are done you just carry them out into the yard and walla. You also willl have more lights per tree so their really bright. I have not honestly built one but I have seen other guys make them and they look great.

ok, I tried my idea for mini trees...took longer than 3 minutes, but not much.

I am not sure I like the effect yet. I am picking up some tomato cages tonight to try that too.

Here are the pics.

I used a clear tube guard for a fluorescent light and cut it down to 2 feet and ran a tie rod up the middle and looped the lights around it at the top, then folded it over to secure the strings of lights at the top.

I used landscaping pins to secure the stands at the bottom. I suppose if I added more loops - I used a 50 light strand with white wire just to show how it is looped around, then added another 100 light strand that I didn't even use all of.

I figure if I used a full 100 light strand it might be ok.

What do you think? I was thinking about putting about 10 of these in front.

Angel

Yea, I just got one today from freecycle. I am going to play around with it tomorrow. Now that I have 48 channels to play with, I am gonna have some fun!

Angel

Have you came to any of our local chapter get togethers? The group met the last two times in Jersey Villiage at the community center of Hwy 290. They usually meet the first weekend of the month so ones coming up. You bring your stuff and work on it. You can see how other's have built their tree's and work on your own.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone else try these? I am thinking about doing 3 or so for 2009 and was wondering how they turned out. How tall are yours? How many lights did it take per tree and per branch? How many branches did you put on each tree? Any problems, concerns, etc? How did you install them and keep them from falling over in the wind, etc? I would love to see some pictures of how you secured the tree/branches.

Thanks

Did anyone else try these? I am thinking about doing 3 or so for 2009 and was wondering how they turned out. How tall are yours? How many lights did it take per tree and per branch? How many branches did you put on each tree? Any problems, concerns, etc? How did you install them and keep them from falling over in the wind, etc? I would love to see some pictures of how you secured the tree/branches.

Thanks

All of my 7 tree's in my video are these minute tree's. The tallest was 18 foot. All my neighbors thought the where real at night.

10' Minute Tree

Materials -

1/2 SC40 or cpvc you need 5 to 7 peices per tree

Green paint

#4 Rebar

Black wire with plastic coating

15' to 18' additional materials

1" SC40 to 3/4 SC40 to 1/2 SC40

Couplings and Reducers

3/4" electrical conduit in galvenized pipe

S's to put at top of conduit

Four straps with rachets - home depot as a set of four for 13 dollars

Dog scew in deals to tether them to the ground

1. Cut pipe variuous length so they are unique in length

2. Paint pipe green - easier standing them up while painting

3. Drill one hole at each end

4. Make a super string of you colors, I twisted white, green and red together

5. Zip tie male end to one end leaving a good lead to plug in later

6. With string stretched out twist the pipe wrapping lights around pipe

7. Zip tie to the other end

8. Complete 5 to 7 stems the same way

9. Cut Rebar 8' in length

10. Pound Rebar into ground

11. Use black wire to hold stems to rebar

12. plug all greens into each other making one channel. Repeat with other colors.

15' to 18' Minute Tree

Only Three diffences

1. Must be guy wired. I pounded the electical conduit into the ground just a little. Put the four metal S's at the top, screwed the dog deals into four corners and straped my staps with ratchets and tightend it streight.

2. I started the longer stems with 1" SC40 pipe at the bottom added a coupling to a reducer to 3/4 to the stems seem to tapper at the top and allow for swaying.

3. The 18' minute tree will need black heavy pipe with a pvc halo at the top or a plus shape to hold stems from moving

www.HolidayLightCreations.com

Edited by bowenrichard

15' to 18' Minute Tree

Only Three diffences

1. Must be guy wired. I pounded the electical conduit into the ground just a little. Put the four metal S's at the top, screwed the dog deals into four corners and straped my staps with ratchets and tightend it streight.

2. I started the longer stems with 1" SC40 pipe at the bottom added a coupling to a reducer to 3/4 to the stems seem to tapper at the top and allow for swaying.

3. The 18' minute tree will need black heavy pipe with a pvc halo at the top or a plus shape to hold stems from moving

Hi Bruce,

I love this idea. The one thing that still perturbs me a bit and I wanted to get a better understanding for is, how are you attaching the 18' stems to the conduit?

I understand that you pound rebar into the ground and then fasten the bases of your stems to that using the heavy duty plastic-coated wire. And I understand that you would want this whole thing guy-wired into the ground. The way I would think to do it would be to pound rebar into the ground, slip a rigid pipe over the rebar that goes straight up, fasten the bases of the stems to that pipe/rebar combination, then, like you said, up near the top have a halo to "fan out" the stems.... and AT the top of the rigid pipe, have four guy wires coming down.

Am I understanding that correctly? The part that confused me is that you describe how you put up the stems to the rebar, and then how you put up the rigid conduit and guy-wire it, but not really where that rigid conduit is located and how you fasten the stems to it.

Thanks! This is a great idea! The reason I like it is that, down here in the south, our trees don't get naked every year like they do in cold parts of the country... and they are also more like bushes than trees up north.... My darn oak trees that are 15-20' tall end up scratching the heck outta my arms and legs when I try to wrap them, which I have usually endured.... but this would be so much easier until they get larger.

Hi Bruce,

I love this idea. The one thing that still perturbs me a bit and I wanted to get a better understanding for is, how are you attaching the 18' stems to the conduit?

I understand that you pound rebar into the ground and then fasten the bases of your stems to that using the heavy duty plastic-coated wire. And I understand that you would want this whole thing guy-wired into the ground. The way I would think to do it would be to pound rebar into the ground, slip a rigid pipe over the rebar that goes straight up, fasten the bases of the stems to that pipe/rebar combination, then, like you said, up near the top have a halo to "fan out" the stems.... and AT the top of the rigid pipe, have four guy wires coming down.

Am I understanding that correctly? The part that confused me is that you describe how you put up the stems to the rebar, and then how you put up the rigid conduit and guy-wire it, but not really where that rigid conduit is located and how you fasten the stems to it.

Thanks! This is a great idea! The reason I like it is that, down here in the south, our trees don't get naked every year like they do in cold parts of the country... and they are also more like bushes than trees up north.... My darn oak trees that are 15-20' tall end up scratching the heck outta my arms and legs when I try to wrap them, which I have usually endured.... but this would be so much easier until they get larger.

Here are some diagrams of how I put together each size tree. The halo was to keep the wind from moving the stems so much on the 18' tree.

post-6330-129571108353_thumb.jpg

post-6330-129571108367_thumb.jpg

post-6330-129571108376_thumb.jpg

post-6330-129571108385_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just curious if anyone tried these yet....

Hi Richard.

Yes I am going forward with these! Thanks for such a great idea.. As soon as my wife saw them she said they look like a native tree to the desert area an "OCOTILLO".

ocotillo_plant.jpg

with the leafs resembling the appeance of mini lights on the PVC.

x_noncacti_ocotillo_600.jpg

BUT its where we wanted to place them.. its concrete. Its a strip that runs along the side of the driveway. So that rules out pounding rebar into the ground.

So to solve the concrete issue, I made a Frame so it can be bolted down to the concrete with anchors that I will leave in the remiander of the year.

Starting out with 3/8 rebar, and using a tool I purchased for my fan project, a conduit bender, bent the rebar into a circle.

DSC00813.JPG

DSC00814.JPG

Then I welded the ends closed and added a center rod for the placement a center stem.

DSC00812.JPG

I then welded 3/8" x 2' rebar for the pvc to slide over. I will use the tubing bender later to tweek these a bit to add shape to the trees once i get lights on them. I welded heavy duty washers to the base to bolt them down, but my neighbor came by and handed me some 1" bar stock so I can make a base to use 4 fastening points to make sure I dont have any usses with wind. I will add them tommorrow and post pictures. The rebar stems are just tacked in this photo.

DSC00810.JPG

This is the area we are planning to put 4 of them. My neighbor has a Hilti hammer drill and we will drill into the concrete and drive anchors in the concrete to hold these down.

DSC00817.JPG

William

here is more photos..

I added the mount plates today. They are 1 1/4" x 1/16" bar stock cut at 12". To make sure all the holes are in the same locations, I drilled tham all at one time on my drill press by clamping all 8 together and marking the holes 1" from the ends. I make a quick jig of screwing the bars down to a scrap piece of wood, measuring 8 1/4" apart. These should line up at any of the 4 placements on the concrete slabs.

DSC00818.JPG

After wire brusing the Rebar off, I sprayed a coat of Rustnoleum primer. I will give these a second coat of primer later , then paint them Black. even though they should work in any placemen, I went ahead and marked them by "writing" numbers on each one with my welder.

DSC00819.JPG

This is somewhat what it will look like except they will be more spread out. The rods start at 10' and each one 6" shorter so they are all different sizes..

DSC00820.JPG

I will drill the anchors soon. My neighbor showed me some concrete epoxy we will set these in with. More to come.....

William

Edited by mnkyboy
    fixed before spellchuck found it

I like the prototype. Please upload more pictures as you go. I'm interested in how they will hold their shape.

I will probbaly bend the rebar just a bit once I get the lights on them to shape them more like an Octillio. One thing I found out here in the "valley of the sun" where the temp will vary 40 deg a day easily, is the EPVC moved around some during the day with the weight of the lights on them. That one stem in the pic with just 2 sets of lights on it slightly moved about 2 feet, but at night, when it cooled, straightened up again. So if thats the case they will constantly change shape somewhat. It should be interesting...