Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jeff

Electrical shock

I want to know why I received such a big shock the other day while testing. The test program had ran its coarse and finished (no lights on). As I took hold of the light string to unplug it from the LOR board output (triac side of the board) electricity went from my hands to my bare feet which of coarse was standing on damp lawn. My question: why did I receive such a huge shock? Board was powered up, but I only touched the output not the power feeding the board.

Remember that a triac is an electronic switch rather than a form "C" contact and when off there is current leakage through the triac. You were barefoot and standing on damp ground and provided a really low resistance pathway to ground when that happened you got bit. Consider yourself very lucky it only takes 6 ma to stop your heart and depending on which hand you used you could have sent that current right across your heart.

Question for you, was your board powered through a GFCI?

I want to know why I received such a big shock the other day while testing. The test program had ran its coarse and finished (no lights on). As I took hold of the light string to unplug it from the LOR board output (triac side of the board) electricity went from my hands to my bare feet which of coarse was standing on damp lawn. My question: why did I receive such a huge shock? Board was powered up, but I only touched the output not the power feeding the board.

Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!! You are lucky to be posting this question. Bare feet, damp grass and electricity are a recipie for disaster. A controler board with power plugged into it is LIVE all the time. There is no safe side. One side of the triac is hot all the time, hence one prong on the plug is live all the time. If it happens to be the hot, which it appears to be, it will seek ground, which in this case was you. GFCI probably would not stop this shock, however it might trip the breaker doing it.

Unplug the controller from the power, wear shoes and if unsure, trip the breaker before messing with the power.

Actually a GFCI would stop this type of shock, the GFCI will trip with as little as 6 ma current imbalance and in as fast as 1/30th of a second. This is why GFCI's save lives.

Tony

Nope. no GFI.

I understand what you are saying about the difference beween form c contact and a triac. I had actually thought of this but couldnt explain it to myself as good as you did. The only thing that bothers me is this type of shock should have lit my lights don't you think? Its hard to believe there is enough leakage through a triac to cause this. Let me add that this was no wimpy trickle shock. This was enough to cause my hand to clench down on the conductor and made it hard to let go. But yet I had no lights.

BTW, it was my left hand.

Jeff,

Most likely you felt a shock in excess of the 6 ma threshold for a GFCI but at some voltage less than 120. Remember it's not the voltage that kills but the current.

So has this convinced you to install GFCI receptacles? Also do you mind if I keep your story and use it in my class on electricity?

Tony

Jeff,

Most likely you felt a shock in excess of the 6 ma threshold for a GFCI but at some voltage less than 120.

At some voltage less than 120? If the triac is off why would I be getting anything close to 120?

If the triac is off why would I be getting anything close to 120?
A TRIAC acts like a couple of diodes that can be turn on/off electronically. They

I'm glad you're ok.

A few things things to learn from this (for all of us):

1) Never work with electricity outside without shoes on, particularly in wet/damp conditions.

2) Never work in an energized LOR box (or any other electrical box with exposed electrical contacts) I won't even change a unit ID or connect/disconnect a com cable without pulling the plug.

2b) This follows from the above, but just to amplify: NEVER touch an electrical contact unless the device is either unplugged or the circuit breaker is off. Don't rely on switches, much less triacs. Even a switch might be wired to switch the neutral, not the hot, and you'll still get zapped. I go one step further: Even after turning off a circuit at the panel, I refuse to touch it until I've confirmed it dead with a meter or neon tester -- even if I 'know' what circuit it's on. Mistakes happen

3) Always use GFCI's.

I know some folks refuse to do #3, but at the very least do the others...

Not trying to be preachy -- just don't want to hear anymore funeral announcements...

-Tim

Edited by tfischer
clarify

Don't worry Tim, I have the preaching covered:

You my friend are the exact reason why GFCIs were invented and should ALWAYS be in use for outdoor outlets.

Let this be a lesson to ALL of you who remove GFCIs or boast that they work smart and won't be shocked. They are called ACCIDENTS, not 'ON PURPOSES'. A GFCI is a REAL LIFE SAVING DEVICE.

I'm thankful that you are not hurt. Now that you have been given a second chance, when are you going to install those GFCIs???

Actually a GFCI would stop this type of shock, the GFCI will trip with as little as 6 ma current imbalance and in as fast as 1/30th of a second. This is why GFCI's save lives.

Tony

I always plug every lor controler into gfci!

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Maintenance_files/shockbuster.asp

Thats a $10 plugin device that works, I reached up to move one of my strands on a rainny night, (stupid me, my lights were on) And water made a connection somewhere, I dont know if it was me that made the connection or moving the strand in the rain, but "CLICK!" my gfci instantly truned that curcuit off. I was glad I invested those $10.

Its at lowes for $10.87 (I cant find it on the lowes site)

Which side of the line do the triacs switch on a LOR controller? Should be the hot, the neutral is the common right. If he had the thing wired backwards, the triacs switching the neutral and the common as hot, he would have hot at the plug all the time, and that could go to ground and give him a shock. Or am I wrong about this? On a DIY controler The neutral is common and the hot is switched, so there would be no current (except leakage) on the plug, but there is to hot to one leg of the triac all the time. They will work just fine if you reverse the hot/neutral but you can test voltage from the "hot" plug to ground.

He might want to check out to make sure his supply wires are not crossed.

I double checked my supply wires. neutral (ribbed wire) going to neutral on board. Polarized plug.

LOR controllers are wired the same as the DIY ones. Jeff, you bring up a good point though. Because the AC power comes in on a connector, it is easy to swap the neutral and hot. I feel though in this case, if the AC lines were swapped, he would not be posting.

With a GFCI in place, it would trip in either case.

I had a PC Power Supply that had energized heat sinks. This may be a similar issue. I found this out the hard way as well. These stories run shivers up my spine.

Another tool that's important is a multi-meter.

Allright, It doesn't get any easier than this. Home Depot. Skew #024098902657. Brand name ShockShield from Smart Products. A GFCI plug rated at 15 amps. You plug it into the outlet, plug the extension cord into it and walla. A GFCI circut.

$12.97.

No reason for us to EVER hear of somebody getting killed from cordsin the yard.

Sorry, no time for a picture. But it is about the size of a duplex outlet.

Allright, It doesn't get any easier than this. Home Depot. Skew #024098902657. Brand name ShockShield from Smart Products. A GFCI plug rated at 15 amps. You plug it into the outlet, plug the extension cord into it and walla. A GFCI circut.

$12.97.

No reason for us to EVER hear of somebody getting killed from cordsin the yard.

Sorry, no time for a picture. But it is about the size of a duplex outlet.

Yep. I keep a couple of those on hand for temporary circuits. All of our permanent Christmas light circuits are GFCI protected already, but every now & then you need to run a cord somewhere that wasn't in the original plan...

Ouch, I'd say you got lucky

I've re-wired my house to make sure that all lights outside are powered by GFCI. Usually it's cold enough by the tiem I'm decorating that I'm always wearing shoes. But have to keep this in mind for warm weather testing.

My basement is all GFCI, as is my sunroom & from 3 season porch.

So the only way I can have non-gfci power outside is thru a window or door.

Ah!! Or plugging into one of my outside lights!!

Which I'll need to fix/adjust I think

I use these, very simular to the one posted, from homedepot, Mine is from lowes, its slightly bigger. Same price, Since I have no dedicated outlets to LOR yet, this is my best GFCI solution.

post-3980-129571063859_thumb.jpg

I use these, very simular to the one posted, from homedepot, Mine is from lowes, its slightly bigger. Same price, Since I have no dedicated outlets to LOR yet, this is my best GFCI solution.

Lowes also has a multi outlet GFCI plug in (5 outlets I think). With the static display, I use the Yellow ones from Home Depot in most outlets (to a photocell timer, then a multi outlet block if needed)) but for my 'main' outlet (to use those old self sequenced controllers) I use the multi outlet one. Of course, with LOR this year, it will all have to be redesigned...