CDI M5 Red LEDs and LOR

Is anybody else having problems with Red M5 LED's from CDI when using them with LOR (or another computer controller)???

I just got a bunch of Red, Green, & Blue 50-light M5 LED strings to do a color changing display with my LOR setup and tried them out tonight... The Green & Blues are working fine, dim up and down, very bright, very nice.

But so far 3 of the 4 red strings I've tried have had problems. They work great out of the box at full intensity, but as soon as I dim them once, they lose more than half of their brightness and develop a seemingly random and very noticeable flicker. Even when plugging directly into the wall they retain this behavior. Only 1 string so far has worked correctly. Where as every green or blue string I have tried is working fine...

Is anybody else having this problem? Did I get a bad batch? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

--Paul

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen similar screwy behavior with my whites. I haven't determined if it's due to insufficient loading on the LOR's or the lights themselves yet.

What I noticed was that after a while they started flickering while all the channels were full "off".

I haven't been able to reproduce it but I'll be sure to let you know once I learn anything.

Edited by ChuckHutchings

brian i also have single strings of lights on my LOR. the only "problem" ive had is in fading down with the cheap lights (half wave sams club) during a long fade down they have a tiny bright "blink" about half way down the fade. and thats not with every strand. i checked to make sure it wasnt the LOR buy putting a different string on that channel. and that cures it.. i think it depends on the lenght of the fade. or could be load. but ive only noticed in a VERY long fade on one song..

chuck they come on blinky when the LOR channel is off?? strange

Did some more checking and all 12 stings of the red's are exhibiting this problem. None of the green, and none of the blue (although 2 blue strings didn't work at all out of the box).

I now have 12 red strings that are mostly useless, 1 of them doesn't light at all anymore, the rest are easily 1/3 as bright as they were before any dimming and exhibit the random flicker. I would assume the lower input voltage has somehow damaged the rectifier circuit... I just don't see why the red strings would all fail and none of the green or blue...

Another thing I've noticed is with the blue & green strings when you dim them with LOR they make an audible buzz. None of the red strings ever did this. Maybe they have different rectifier hardware? That could explain the different reaction to dimming...

Anybody started playing with M5 strings they bought during last weekend's sale yet? I find it hard to believe that my whole box of reds had problems and nobody else's...

I guess the next step is to give CDI a call and see what can be done...

Anybody started playing with M5 strings they bought during last weekend's sale yet? I find it hard to believe that my whole box of reds had problems and nobody else's...

I guess the next step is to give CDI a call and see what can be done...

im sure CDI will take care of all your problems. sounds really strange though. from blinking with no power, going dim after fading, and some making noise?? VERY STRANGE!!

Paul You got my curiosity up so I checked my case of red M5's and 11 worked fine. (I already had one string that has the erratic flicker.)

I tried multiple ramp ups and downs, shimmers, and twinkles and saw no problems. I still have a case of gold and greens to check. Will post my results.

It is very important to actually string out the lights cause i have had to ask paul to replace my m5 reds twice already. They worked out of the box but as soon as you undo the wire ties and string them out they shut off. I have no idea why this is happening but he has made good on the lights so what more could you ask for at this point. Mine are 100 count

Edited by gsxr7500

Mine never blinked with no power... Just the dim, flickering problem after doing fades... And the ones that are working fine are the ones that make noise.

im sure CDI will take care of all your problems. sounds really strange though. from blinking with no power, going dim after fading, and some making noise?? VERY STRANGE!!

Where do I start? Right now I am so frustrated. I tried my M5's after constructing my window frames(3 of 8 needed). I might add these have taken me aprox 6 hours a piece to build and I am quite proud of the "look" but....... As you can see my frame is four colors and each light is held in place. I though that these would last for years........ The picture shows the red's when I first started testing them with LOR. As you can see that only one of three strings was not at full brightness when I started. But after an hour of testing, all three red strings dimmed. As I was building these, 3 strings ( 2 reds and a blue) required twisting the string just the right way in order to remain lit. My planning was comming together so well. I have quad outlets roughed in at 14 locations on the house just waiting to use this set up and all is not going well. I'm not sure i can disassemble these and replace bad strings.

Frustrated, frustrated, frustrated............

FYI: My frames are made of 3/4" pvc electrical conduit with a slice in the side. It holds the lights very nice, but it is very time consuming to place the strings in the conduit. The conduit is painted to match my Anderson Windows.

post-8142-129571063437_thumb.jpg

post-8142-129571063445_thumb.jpg

looks like a LOT OF WORK!! too much work to have lights failing left and right. after testing ALL of my 2007 CDI, Diogen fulls, Diogen halfs, and GKI flex changes, ZERO DOA!! about 50 strings! and i figured id test my cheapies from last year. ZERO failures and some of them are rusty! another 30 or so strings. 0 DOA, 0 FAILURES, thats what im talkin about!!

yeah chucks blinked with no power. ill report if i have failures with my diogens.. ive been running them on my LOR and so far so good!!

I've been unable to reproduce that problem.

I just put 16 strands each of R/G/B/WW leds out on the back patio and will set them up and test with 4 separate LOR units to see if it's LOR or the LEDs or just me.

It might not get done tonight for reasons that I can't mention on PC. :P

Im getting a flicker in LOR also. When i fade down no problems when i fade up they do fade up then flicker before staying steady.Pretty weird im only having this problem while using LOR. I can say I am definitely taking him up on his exchange offer its not gonna be fun cause i zip tie my strands together so it will take some work.

oh and this is a little off topic. but my wife just finished lighting a triple depth (sorry thats the only way i know how to explain it) star and its VERY tight and took a bunch of bending and twisting of the wires on the lights (diogen 70 ct. fulls from brian) looks great!! all in all it took her a few tries to get it right and i could only imagine her killing me if the lights didnt work!! im glad they did!!! cant wait till christmas!!

oh and this is a little off topic. but my wife just finished lighting a triple depth (sorry thats the only way i know how to explain it) star and its VERY tight and took a bunch of bending and twisting of the wires on the lights (diogen 70 ct. fulls from brian) looks great!! all in all it took her a few tries to get it right and i could only imagine her killing me if the lights didnt work!! im glad they did!!! cant wait till christmas!!

How about a picture?

Carl

I dont have the M5's, but I do have the 3 cases of C6's, and noticing the same flickering effect when doing a fade in either direction . Mine will flicker a couple of times in both directions. Very nice color though, seem to react well to twinkle and shimmer ok. Just dont fade really well.

Here is an update on my testing of the C6 stings.

Every red string reacts exactly the same. As long as u keep the intensity below 50%

there is no jump in the light output as they fade up or down. This jump in intensity is very brief up/and back to current intensity level.

As a matter of fact, the green's and blues do the same thing, just not as noticeable.

The 50% seems to be a magical number here. Somewhere between 48 and 52% they all do this little, I am calling it a "bump in the night thing". And then of course they all jump on at 1-2% without being very easy about it.

So I guess if your doing fades then it will have to stay under 50%, until a remedy is found.

This is my first year with animation, been doing lights for years. Was going to keep it simple the first year, just static animation only. I can work around this, just have to re-do the sequences I have prepared.

Hope this helps anyone reading this.

I bought a lot of LEDs from Paul based on all that I have read here on PC. I think is is great of him to make the offer that he has to all of his pre-order customers. That says a lot about a person.