Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Brad Boyink

Is "Wizards in Winter" over used?

Is TSO's "Wizards in Winter" over used  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Is TSO's "Wizards in Winter" over used

• Yes, time to pick a different song
    • No, it's a song that everyone expects to hear

Herein lies the difference between being a producer of art and being a consumer of art. As a producer, you must decide whether your display is for yourself, your colleagues, or for the public. If what it most important to you is to impress your fellow decorators, then don't even bother doing an outdoor display. Just spend all your time making the visualizer look really cool. Then send a video of your visualizer to YouTube. Then post the link on PC, MHD, CC, CLC, SCL, etc. and wait for everyone to go "Ooh" and "Ahh."

If you are actually creating a display for your neighborhood, and you like a song, then what a few hundred active members of a few internet forums think about it is irrelevant.

Nicely put.:)

SPaschall

The song is not my taste, but the beat is the thing. I don't think TSO tracks are for kids. Tastes vary and that's why it is fun to see what so many others have done. For instance, some adults have been put off by The Chipmunks sine 1958. I have watched some videos with beautiful music where the effect came off as too serious.

For me it is the defining song for LOR, so I'll be keeping it for the forseable future.

However, I do really regret using it as my phones ring-tone. Everytime my wife starts sequencing - I jump up to answer the phone.

My answer is no. Do we stop using other holiday songs such as Jingle Bells or White Christams. "Wizards" may not have stood the test of time yet, but it is a holiday favorite. Just as the retail stores play the same traditional songs over and over, we in animation, can do the same. It will always be part of my show.

I think its truly hard to know what kids will like. Last Christmas, we saw a show with 5-7 tasteful, traditional christmas songs ... and I thought it was really good.

Then we later saw a show where they only had one song and its was ... "Welcome to the Jungle" (by guns and roses) ... and well, my 1st and 3rd graders don't know heavy metal or even what rock is ... but they couldn't stop talking about the Welcome to the Jungle show ... so you really never know. The person with the longer show clearly would appeal to a larger audience and spent more time making the show.

Its really up your own tastes personally and what your comfortable doing and presenting to your neighborhood and community.

This year, I'm doing a rock-themed show (yes, I know some/many might not appreciate that concept) ... so I know it won't be appreciated by all, but it could be fantastic for others.

People in my newer neighborhood are +- 10 years of my age, so its lots of younger kids and adults around my age that I'm thinking about.

My Dad isn't really impressed by the tunes, but I told him: your not the target audience. I let my kids dictate what songs they enjoyed the most ... and thats what drove my song selections.

My show is more or less Rock N Roll meets ~ Richard Holdman techno dance songs ... I know its not going to be for everyone ... but I'm sure enjoying it and I know its based on what my kids wanted to see and hear. I'm going to end it with Wizards because the kids all choose it every time. When I drove a bunch of 3rd grade soccers girls to camp every week, I let them decide which songs they liked best ... it was always wizards for some reason.

Edited by taybrynn

It's not over used in my neighborhood!

Our display is the only non pre-packaged light show for 5 miles.

Same here....we're the only computerized show within 25 miles. :)

At least last year, have to wait and see if anyone who saw my show last year decided to do it this year.

My current opinion is not to use it.

This will be my first year using LOR and I had one basic rule when selecting music. Either it has to be a traditionally recognized Christmas song, or it has to have lyrics related to Christmas. I don't consider WIW a traditional song. I also don't consider "Lucy and Linus" a traditional Christmas song, but that is my opinion. I'm sure people may disagree with this (no need to post replies)

That's not to say I won't change in the future if there are a lot of requests.

(One other thing. WIW is longer than I like to sequence. I target two minutes per song and try to do creative editing in Audacity to shorten them if required.)

Funny, every year this same subject comes up. Quickly scanning down the responses, you will see some of the more senior members stayed out of it. Those that have been in this a while will say they are TIRED of that song, saying it's over rated, over played, over talked about, yada yada. There have been long winded threads where fun is poked at it, spoofs recorded and submitted etc....

A couple things. I did help start a phenom. It has a great beat which makes it a great choice for sequencing, especially beginners. There are a lot of examples out there posted to review. If you really think about it, it is not really a Christmasy song, but those putting on shows make it a part of them because of the Carson Williams association. It is a TSO track, which is associated with heavy rythm Christmas songs.

Am I down on the song? No. I think it is a crowd pleaser. It does show off lights and our technology very well. I have not used it to date, and after my wife saw some more animated displays last year, she liked it. So I decided to include it this year. I will lead my display off with it because I do think it gets the crowd going.

That's all I have to say for now, till the same time next year..........

I have heard TOO many times that I HAVE to have WIW again. That is why so many come back. It doesn't matter how tired I AM OF IT. And I am tired of it. Not just from doing it already but from seeing it a million times on every other persons' show.

But that is what they want, and at the end of the day,if it makes them happy, I still do enough new stuff to keep from being disinterested myself.

In fact- I just got accosted in the grocery store over Christmas lights and THEY told me that was THE song for them.

(One other thing. WIW is longer than I like to sequence. I target two minutes per song and try to do creative editing in Audacity to shorten them if required.)

I have it down to 2:07 if you would like to use it.:)

SPaschall

Most of us that are really into decorating are probably sick of hearing wizards, including me, but my viewers are not. It will definitely be in my show this year and for many more years to come. Just my opinion

Amen! It is waaaaay overdone.

Justin

I have it down to 2:07 if you would like to use it.:)

SPaschall

I did the same thing. The fact that it repeats so much, its one of the easiest songs to clip and paste the last part of the song to the middle without sounding too goofy.

When I first started last year, Old Cqr told me,

"For God's Sake, DON'T do Wizards in Winter"

But you know that I did. Like most of the posts here I am sick of the song just from hearing it 10,000 times. But the people always ask for it.

I am bringing it over from last year but only two nights a week is when I am running the 2007 show. Thursday thru Monday are all NEW songs.

Sorry Oldcqr, I gotta give em what they want.:D:D:D

I am SHOCKED!! I can't tell you how bad I want it out of my show and in my mind it was. Until now!!! I may have to consider it simply for the viewers.

I had left it in there thinking in 2-3 years I may want to rework it and use it again.

The reasons I don't like it is #1 , I'm sick of hearing it as well as my neighbors.

And 2) there is something cheesy about it now. I don't know what it is, It seems like we all just have to copy and feel good about ourselves once we have a mega tree that swirls round, or that we have something give the impression of a swinging from left to right motion in our displays. Like carson first did. It's like "wow" I accomplished something now that I can say I have those features.

I just feel there are way to many GREAT songs out there for anyone of us to grab and make awsome. It would accomplish 3 things, 1) a fresh new song, 2) maybe the next new "Wizards", and also the fact that you , yourself demonstrated to your viewers and yourself some 'originality"

I'm not knocking Wizards or the fact that the viewers may want it, but find a new tune already.

heck, now I'm off to go rework Wizrds now......:)

Thanks

Tim

No song can be over used as far as I'm concerned. I have used different songs each year so by the time I get around to using it again, it could be 10 years. But as a community there are going to be overlaps every year.

As 2008 only will be the second year with animated lights in Denmark and only one show (mine) has done WiW before, i think it can be used 2-3 more years.

I have upgraded from 16 to 80 channels of LOR and from 3600 to 12000 led's and is in the final stage with sequencing WiW to my 2008 setup.

You can see the preview here: http://www.ganlosejul.dk/wiw.html

I have not used copy/paste much, but tried to give every part a different look.

/Kim

Great subject.

This is my first year with LOR and I wasn't going to use it but when I sat down to do some sequencing of my other songs my wife asked me if I was going to use TSO. I said no, that ws the wrong answer hahaha. So guess waht I have been sequencing now. My 6 year old son loves that song and asks me to play it over and over again. I told him dont worry son, you will hear it a thousand times. hahaha.

This is my first year and it was the second song I sequenced, right after my wife's choice. I've heard it a thousand times while sequencing but it's a must. It came out better than anything I've seen on the internet and looks really good on the animation (which is all I have to rate songs I sequence). Some songs are easy to do and others just don't take to the sequence process. Wizards was hard to make original but it really lets you work with your display. Synthesized music like Wizards is very precise while actual recordings tend to vary, making them very hard. I don

Edited by bigbth