Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Is "Wizards in Winter" over used?

Is TSO's "Wizards in Winter" over used  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Is TSO's "Wizards in Winter" over used

• Yes, time to pick a different song
      • No, it's a song that everyone expects to hear

I agree with both sides of this debate. I just think to the average viewer, its somewhat "expected". Its like having a Southern Rock concert without playing Sweet Home Alabama ... yeah, you could ... but some will always be wishing you had done it anyways.

At the end of the day, do it if you want to ... its your show ... and the result of your own choices and creativity.

• Replies 80
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you all seen the wiki link to this song

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_in_Winter

It actually talks about us as follows:

"many others who imitated the style of setting their Christmas lights to this and other songs"

That does make it sound like we're just a bunch of sheep, but I don't care. The song still rocks.

Guest Lightzilla

Are you all looking at it from the amount of people that use it on this here forum, or any other Christmas forum or are you saying that all 275 million americans all sequence and all use that song? Think about it....all the Christmas forums together just make up a handful of people in that vast amount of people down south. I would dare say that 90% of the people in the USA never seen that song done up in lights. The reason that most of you feel that it is over used is because like most songs you heard it 900 times while sequencing it. After a while they may all seem over used.

Anyhow I don't need to worry about that up here because the computorized Christmas display is still a new concept up here. Getting people converted over to musical displays is the main job for us Canadians. People still like static displays mostly in the west.

Like any other song don't play it or hear it for a year and then play it again in 2009

The reason that most of you feel that it is over used is because like most songs you heard it 900 times while sequencing it.

Which needs to be squarely placed in the "Occupational Hazard" department. I used to hear disparaging comments all the time in my former life (as a Sound Designer), but this is how it goes around my house (usually while editing video) before I don my headphones:

Wife: "How can you listen to that over and over?"

Me: "Because I'm working on it."

If you're sequencing a song and you get annoyed hearing it over and over, then you're obviously not in the automation "zone". The "Auto-Zone". crazyeyes.gif

Guest Lightzilla

Actually I still enjoy hearing the songs that I heard for the 900th time during sequencing. After not hearing them now for at least 1 month now or is it two? Oh well by December 1st it well be fresh and new again for me. I have 36 songs ready for Christmas now and 14 of them are stock songs and six shared sequences, and the rest I did for the last 6 months.

Bring on Wizards, Carol of the Bells, and all the others.

Hi,

Just my two cents...

If people enjoy listening to/seeing it I don't think it's overused. I believe light show creators can get sick of it because we want to try new stuff. This discussion isn't unusual. Composers /songwriters/performers usually end up not liking the song that has become popular because they have to keep doing it over and over again. Even back in the days of Beethoven, Puccini, Rossini and the like this was a problem.

At least we can take solace in the fact that we're in good company! And now....I have to finish programming WIW. (I put it off for 3 years...but finally caved because of all the requests.)

Edited by sasmuse
    missing sentence

Since the Wizard's song propelled most of us into this whole scene, to say it's old would be like saying is "Take me out to the ballpark" is old and overused in baseball stadiums. I have 2-3 shows I can alternate and one is a 5 song TSO show, which will have it....

For some strange reason Fiddler on the Roof is coming to mind...;-)

I was against Wizards in Winter during the summer when I was choosing music to begin programming and I have recently changed my mind. Its a good song, ya it might be over used but people expect it, know it, and love it, and after all these lights are "for the people" in a way. So I bought it from amazon mp3 download and am going to use it this year.

And to be honest ... when I saw a show in my town a few years back ... we waited and waited for Wizards ... thinking that would signal the end of the show. Why I thought that, I'm not sure ... but sure enough, the final song was Wizards ... we loved it ... then drove on after it was finally played. There was no formal show start or end ... so that song just said it indirectly for us ... was by far the most enjoyed, even though its not very christmas-y per se.

Guest Jeff_Womack

Several contenious points.

1. I do not now nor have I ever nor will I likely ever sequence to music. It is not my taste. That being said the sounds grates on my nerves. That song and Carson are what most under-educated morons believe started this hobby we love. No disrepesct to Carson but but he himself would tell you he came about long after many of the greats here had been sequencing for years.

2. Most people haven't seen it done to lights? Maybe if they don't have a TV in their house or email or ever looked at YouTube. A Miller Light commercial annoying enough to make me watch the newest Ginshu knife commercial with interest was overplayed here for a whole season. To top it off, my email at work was shut down several times before I got my base to put a filter up for the file because everyone and their brother emailed it to me. Finally, go search "christmas lights" on YouTube and see how many copies of Carson's original and copycats come up. Face it folks, people who have a 30 second attention span think Wizards in Winter is THE Christmas song and Carson created Computerized Christmas Lights. That being said and using that as a (BS) basis of fact, then you are all lemmings following on Carson's coat tails!

3. Of course all of this is meant in good humor. The question was asked, "Is Wizards in Winter over used?" My answer is yes. I don't care to ever hear it again, it isn't Christmas, doesn't say anything about Christmas and doesn't even invoke feelings of Winter.

Finally I will keep my 200+/- channels of LOR without synching to music and continuing enjoying my display the way I like it. Buy all the Blowmolds you want, but none for me. Put 1,000 inflatables in your yard but you won't see them in mine. But green and white lasers, they just aren't for me. Play WiW till your heart's content but you won't ever hear it at my house unless you have it in your CD player in your car. The point is to do your display how you want, but make it your own.

One last thing, there's an old adage, "don't ask the question, if you don't want to hear the answer", I really think that applies.

I am really surprised as many voted "against" WiW as did.

Jeff, you've always had a way with words :)

I'm going to stay out of this one -- most everyone here knows my true feelings. But I just stopped by to say one thing: if you want to hear something hilarious, check out those Gemmy LED tree trio's that came out last year and are back this year -- the music they play is about as close to WiW as you could possibly get without actually licensing it. It's got all the elements -- the power chords, the "tiptoeing though the tulips" string plucks, etc. So many WiW 'licks' made it into that music... As a bonus, it mixes in REAL Christmas music, which makes me like the Gemmy music better than the plagiarized source... Not that that's saying much (oops, I said I wouldn't comment ;) )

-Tim

ETA: Wow, my 5,000th post. Well, not really, it's my 5,000-th since the post counts were cleared several years back -- probably something like my 15,029th post ;) No biggie, I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my post count -- I post when I see fit and contrary to a few nay-sayer's belief, I don't just post because I like to hear myself talk (although I do have a very nice typing voice :D )

ETA^2: Here's a link with a video including the music I was referring to above:

http://buyinflatables.com/catalog2.htm

Edited by tfischer
    spelling

....snip just way to long to quote it all (LOL)...

The point is to do your display how you want, but make it your own.

..........QUOTE]

Hallelujaaaaah!!!!!!!

As for my opinion of WIW. Its just a song, like others its not my taste. I like some TSO stuff, and even am using some. But that song and several others they do just annoy me.

This year, I have decided to put WIW into a hiatus for one or two years. Although it is a good song to syncronise lights to, I thought my display needed a little change for at least a year.

Instead, I've replaced it with 'Suite Christmas Rush' which takes many elements of Wizards In Winter, adds a few Mannheim Steamroller type effects into the piece, and most importantly incorporates the melodies of several Christmas carols, which I thought was rather lacking from WIW.

For those who go looking for this song, you won't find it just yet. The artist, Carrie Lyn Infusion, has not published it at this time.

Guest Jeff_Womack

This thread is just a revolving door, it goes both ways, I think the message is clear and this thread should be closed.

Wow (not WiW!), why should it be closed? I don't think any of the three rules have been broken and I'm not in time-out (yet!) so I must have not ruffled too many feathers!

JR, I actually like some of the other TSO stuff. I don't have an issue with TSO, just don't like WiW.

Tim, congrats(?) on the 5,000th post. As one of the ones who has been around here with you since the EARLY days (long before LOR/AL/D-Light), I usually appreciate your wisdom and have always appreciated your friendship online and off.

I can make a direct correlation between WIW/Christmas animated lights and Wedding music.

I am a part-time DJ that specializes in Weddings. While I try awful hard to customize playlists for each event, it's inevitable that I will play YMCA, Brick House, Chicken Dance, Old Time Rock n Roll, etc.

I would rather have a root canal than listed to Love Shack or the Cha Cha slide one more time.

However, I don't DJ to hear what I want to play. Actually, it's not really about about the bride and groom either. It's about the guests expectations.

The same is almost true for animated lighting (except you don't get paid!)

The masses know WiW and quite a few want to hear/see it. However, it is 100% your show and you need to do what moves you. WiW is easy to sequence and provides alot of bang. I view it as mostly rookie ~ of which I proudly consider myself and will work hard to evolve from the dread blink blink.

I would rather have a root canal than listed to Love Shack or the Cha Cha slide one more time.

If you see a faded sign by the side of the road that says

15 miles to the... love shack! love shack yeah

I'm headin' down the atlanta highway, lookin' for the love getaway

Heading for the love getaway, love getaway,

I got me a car, it's as big as a whale and we're headin' on down

To the love shack

I got me a chrysler, it seats about 20

So hurry up and bring your jukebox money

The love shack is a little old place where we can get together

Love shack baby, love shack bay-bee.

Love baby, that's where it's at, ooo love baby, that's where it's at

Glitter on the mattress

Glitter on the highway

Glitter on the front porch

Glitter on the hallway

The love shack is a little old place where we can get together

Love shack baby! love shack, that's where it's at!

Huggin' and a kissin', dancin' and a lovin', wearin' next to nothing

Cause it's hot as an oven

The whole shack shimmies! the whole shack shimmies when everybody's

Movin' around and around and around!

Everybody's movin', everybody's groovin' baby!

Folks linin' up outside just to get down

Everybody's movin', everybody's groovin' baby

Funky little shack! funky little shack!

Hop in my chrysler, it's as big as a whale and it's about to set sail!

I got me a car, it seats about 20

So hurry up and bring your jukebox money.

Bang bang bang on the door baby! knock a little louder baby!

Bang bang bang on the door baby! i can't hear you

Your what?.... tin roof, rusted!

Love shack, baby love shack!

Love baby, that's where it's at

Huggin' and a kissin', dancin' and a lovin' at the love shack

How ya doin!

I decided to wakeup from the dead.

We lost alot of great veteran members here due to the dumb posts over the last years.

Anyway, Jeff I TOTALY disagree. If Wizards is over used, what about all the other classic old-time music that I am SO SICK of hearing.

I like that fact that other people try new things and guess what??? If done right, it works!

I have been looking for the last few years for some new upbeat music that the "new" generation wants to hear.

I have two kids, they are my inspiration to new music which they encourage me to use.

I guess you never saw the movie Polar Express. I did a song "Hot Chocollate" from that movie, guess what..last year it was a HUGE hit. Even my Mail Lady brought her grand-kids over to see that specific song.

NO SONG IS OVER USED. If that was the case, we wouldn't have ANY Christmas music except for the "New AGE" make-overs.

Edited by John Pidliskey
    Spelling Correction

I'm taking a quick poll. This will now be my third year doing shows and to tell you the truth I'm considering not doing TSO's Wizards in Winter even though it has been a very popular song. What do you think.

Wanna talk about OVERUSED? How about Jingle Bells? I know we've all heard that one 1000 to 1 over WiW.

Personally I dont like TSO, WiW is the only song I will use from that band and thats mostly because its the one song on my play list that is SURE to draw a round of applause from visitors almost every time it plays. I dont know about you, but if something brings a round of applause, thats the LAST thing I would want to remove from the playlist.

I did mine in a totally original way, although its the same song, that Carson distributed all over the world that came with his LOR sequence but the rest of the sequence, I made to fit my house format and hardly resembles Carson's at all. Since I use synchronous video I had thought about playing carsons video synchronous on a TV screen wall in the display while mine played but it just didnt fit as my animation was too different from Carsons and they just didnt work together.

I think I have taken the song to a different place. In using my Guerilla Video projection, in which a video projector is aimed at the outside of the house and some of its display covers the roof and a 40 ft wide section of house, I have made a video that I am sure will be a hit when it plays with the lights. On the roof I have "emulated" rotating 3D text that looks like a bright green laser writting the words WIZARDS spinning and tumbling in the roof shingles area (we have white shingles in Florida to reduce heat in summer), but in a smaller area which is designated to look like a 6 ft plasma TV screen I have a background which actual in concert footage of TSO performing WiW live, I adjusted the timing to be precise with concert stage lights in the video to be identical to my lighting. Ironically MY sequence looked more like TSO's concert stage light show then Carsons so it fits better. Then I chromakeyed a custom animated vector Santa Claus which I did all the artwork for and I have him sweep his arms with precision timing to lights sweeping back and forth to the song on my lawn. I think it will work and be a heck of a crowd pleasers. I put most of the month of August into getting the Santa Claus animation to work very well with the light show activity and I think it will be awesome when the lights are up (should be fully up about 25 days from now).