Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Brad Boyink

Is "Wizards in Winter" over used?

Is TSO's "Wizards in Winter" over used  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Is TSO's "Wizards in Winter" over used

• Yes, time to pick a different song
    • No, it's a song that everyone expects to hear

I'm taking a quick poll. This will now be my third year doing shows and to tell you the truth I'm considering not doing TSO's Wizards in Winter even though it has been a very popular song. What do you think.

Wizards in Winter is THE song that defines Christmas Light Animation. Christmas Light Fanatics can certainly get tired of it, but willl the spectators feel the same? I asked my wife if I should sequence Wizards of Winter and she made it clear that it was an over-used song. In context, this means that she is sick of it because she has overheard me watching hundreds of display videos with Wizards in Winter making up about 20%. I can see how it would be easy to get tired of most any song that you had to listen to 30-50 times through the gruelling process of synchronizing. Just a subjective opinion:)

-Darin

hummm i dont think i have that sequence can i get that and were can i get it at???

HA HA Flanigan... i like what u do LOL i aggravate the family by hooking everything up lol thats all it takes my friend.

Most of us that are really into decorating are probably sick of hearing wizards, including me, but my viewers are not. It will definitely be in my show this year and for many more years to come. Just my opinion

I planned on pulling it from our show also this year, but my grandchildren and their parents almost killed me over the thought. As Darin said it is probably the definitive song for animated lights,and I have had people watch the whole show just to see that one song. So I will be tweeking it with our new channels and will see it for another season.

SPaschall

No one that is going to see my display has most likely seen one before so whats it to them if they here the song going. I have it in my display but it was my first song i synced and it is not that good.

No one that is going to see my display has most likely seen one before so whats it to them if they here the song going. I have it in my display but it was my first song i synced and it is not that good.

Yeah it's a song that is very unforgiving if not synchronized with care. The dynamic accents and tight rhythm are what make it a serious work-out for any controller board and light set. The members of Trans Siberian Orchestra are very well aware of the many Christmas light displays that incorporate their songs and they seem to support us in a likewise manner. I think the Carson Williams family got free concert tickets to a TSO concert and got to meet the band. Wizards is not only popular with us, but also the musician community. TSO had a contest where individual guitar, piano, and base players sent a video of themselves jamming out to Wizards. The winners are posted somehwere on youtube. For TSO, this song came along at just the right time because their concert favorite "Christmas Eve Sarejevo 12/24" was starting to become a little old hat even though they still play it twice at every Christmas concert. If anyone is in doubt about the general public's interest in Wizards in Winter, just go to a TSO concert and measure the cheers with a decibel meter when they start the song:)

-Darin

The only reason 90% of the population even knows who TSO is comes from the Carson Williams story. Most people don't know who the band is, what the name of the song is. They just say "oh, that's the beer commercial"

I refuse to use them. Sheep. That's all I can say about TSO. They have people following like sheep.

Frank Sanatra has better Christmas songs. The dancing is not the song, it's the lights. My friend who is the director of Civic Music agrees. He has libraries filled with Christmas music and is helping do something original.

Never used the song though I do use Christmas Eve Sarejevo. Just thought Wizards was a bit overplayed in the displays out there.

I don't think the song has reached it full potenial for the blinky blinky.

there is so much you can do with the song and it fits most displays.

I to have thought about reducing the amout of times that it plays in the show... but after reading this thread I am going to leave it in and this is my third year.

I agree I am tired of the song but I know I will have new viewers this year and it is a defining song.

So it will stay for this year.

Just my view.

I too roll my eyes to that song but people want it so I continue to play it. Its a fun easy song to do but I am over it. I like to mix what I like and what people want. As a newbie 3 years ago it was the first song I wanted to do, its like most everyone new just needs to do it and get it out of thier system so they can move on:)

It seems to be the perennial favorite of all ages ... its so sequencing friendy ... and after carson williams put light shows on the map, its one of the only songs the average person can associate with a christmas lights show.

I had my kids view my 10 songs in the S2 animation window ... and of course, wizards was the favorite one.

You have to decide if the show is for others or yourself. Obviously if you hate it, then skip the song. But if your just sick of it ... think of how you'd feel if you want to a classic rock concert and they only played the new songs and none of the classics! Most people wouldn't be happy.

Let me start off by saying thanks to everyone who has weighted in on this debate. Some very good points are being made.

But think the best one is the show is for the people not me. And since the crowds really like the song it should remain.

I wasn't going to use it, but my Wife convinced me to add it in. I'm glad she did too, I finished the sequence about a week ago and I must say I'm impressed with what I came up with.

i believe that it is over played on the internet videos, for those of us here that watch them all the time. for the normal people that only watch and think about it at christmas, no. most of the viewers that travele to watch the displays in different parts of the country, probably dont hear it as much as us. but it is a good song for dancing lights, so i say keep it for the viewers. and the normal part is my wifes talk, not to offend anyone; she thinks were all crazy:).

Is the song over used? Yes, but people most people in our areas have never seen hundreds of displays with TSO Wizards in Winter, like we have here. So, I say use the song.

People enjoy this song.

I don't think the song is overused for the general public either. As for myself, I sometimes get tired of hearing it too,but when I see a new video of it, it's just like a new song all over again.

Quick, everybody, make Wizards in Winter the ringtone on your cell phones. We had a guy at our mini-PLUS who's cell phone rang during one of the presentations. Yup, it was Wizards. Everybody started chuckling; it was like our secret handshake.

As many others have said, WIW seems over used to US, but "normal" people don't spend hours and hours, 12 months a year, watching Christmas displays on youtube. I think this is a fun song to sequence, and people like to see it, so it will be part of my display.

Kyle

I didn't vote because the two options were not simply "Yes" and "No", but offered additional commentary along with the vote. For myself:

Is it overused? Yes.

Does that matter to me? Nope.

Will it matter to fellow decorators that frequent decorating sites and watch synchronized christmas light videos? Yes.

Will it matter to people who actually view my display in person. Nope.

Am I still going to use it in my display? Yes.

Herein lies the difference between being a producer of art and being a consumer of art. As a producer, you must decide whether your display is for yourself, your colleagues, or for the public. If what it most important to you is to impress your fellow decorators, then don't even bother doing an outdoor display. Just spend all your time making the visualizer look really cool. Then send a video of your visualizer to YouTube. Then post the link on PC, MHD, CC, CLC, SCL, etc. and wait for everyone to go "Ooh" and "Ahh."

If you are actually creating a display for your neighborhood, and you like a song, then what a few hundred active members of a few internet forums think about it is irrelevant.