Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
cenote

2008 mini light prices

Thought I'd start a thread where you can post your "first finds" of Mini lights for this year. Just found our Lowes has it's mini's 100 count out all ready for $2.39

Guest Jeff_Womack

Hobby Lobby was $2.99/100 I believe.

Garden Ridge had single color string s for $4.99/100!

Thought I'd start a thread where you can post your "first finds" of Mini lights for this year. Just found our Lowes has it's mini's 100 count out all ready for $2.39

Just a note on Lowe's. They are the only mini lights I use, so that I stay consistent. Never the less, last year they started off at a much higher price and as we got closer to the season the store lowered the price.

Funny because the Lowes closest to me just put theirs out at $2.48......

Lowes in OKC is $2.48 also. Last year they started $1.95 then went to $2.46 then to $2.39. Last year WalMart was $2.39 here and $2.00 everywhere else in the country so I hauled a Jeep full back from a trip to Arkansas last year.

Target has 100s for $2.39 and 50s for $1.89....

This is good news. Target started out at $2.39, and ended up going down to $2.00 pre-Christmas. $1.00 after Christmas.

I prefer the Target lights over Wal-Marts.

Only place ive seen them so far is Costo

3 X 100 for $18.72

pricey...

Our lowes still has grills out in the seasonal area.

no lights on the shelves yet around here last year i found them at rite aid for $2 for 100ct on sale

Our Rite-aid got bought out by Longs.... (needles to say their 100 count strands are $6.99)

K-mart had 3 shelves of icicles out, and ont he other aisle I found the guy putting more lights on the shelves, I ask them if they had the 100 count normal strands, he just looked at me in discust and said nothing.... Like I had no right to be in the light sprit so early.

my local kmart just put some lights out today and they had 100ct minis for around $5-6:eek: i think i will be heading to a target/walmart this year

They are proud of those lights aren't they?

I picked up 3 boxes of purple yesterday at our local Wal-Mart for $3.50 for 100 ct. I figured that was a fair price because other than Halloween these are hard to find during Christmas. The 50 ct. was $2. They also had orange and multi color (orange, green & purple)

Lowes is 2.48 where I am... (cali)

Just came out of one of our Lowes here and they are pricing the 100ct mini lights at $2.48 also. (upstate NY)

Also, I don't see any more shelf space for LEDs or any less shelf space for incandescents as some people are saying they are seeing. Looks almost exactly the same as last year to me. (see... the sky may actually not be falling...) :)

The only place I have seen mini's this year so far is Fred Myers and they were $3.99/box of 100! Needless to say I kept on walking :)

I picked up 3 boxes of purple yesterday at our local Wal-Mart for $3.50 for 100 ct. I figured that was a fair price because other than Halloween these are hard to find during Christmas. The 50 ct. was $2. They also had orange and multi color (orange, green & purple)

Purple or Orange lights 100 count at Target are $2.99. I picked up 30 boxes today...

Only place ive seen them so far is Costo

3 X 100 for $18.72

pricey...

Our lowes still has grills out in the seasonal area.

I think those might be LEDs,.. Not sure though but so far the only thing my Costco has out is LEDs

Edited by WWNF911