Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ChuckHutchings

Because I said so, THAT'S WHY!

Kids never listen to their parents. They think they know everything or that it won't happen to them. Usually, parents end up saying "BECAUSE I SAID SO! THAT'S WHY!" but I just got a free pass on that thanks in part to my Christmas display and the video surveillance system I got to monitor it.

Here's what happened...

For months I've been after my son to either put his bike in the garage or lock it to the railing on the porch where he prefers to leave it. He does neither. Sunday, I told him his bike was on the front porch and it wasn't locked. "OK, Dad!" came the typical response. Did he lock it? No.

This morning, my wife came in after getting the paper and told me the bike was missing. I went to the DVR PC and reviewed the video from last night and found nothing. I went back to Sunday night - still nothing.

Reluctantly, I started slogging through the daylight video from Monday (which is continuous whereas the night-vision stuff only records when moths fly by or a cat walks by a car out front). Rather than go through all 10 or so hours, I went to the 2:30 - 3:00 PM segment when I took our son to the dentist. Sure enough, at 2:46, there it is. Some guy walks up the drive onto the porch and rides off on the bike.

The cops have the info and some pics that I printed out from the video cams but he looked like a vagrant and will likely be long gone by now.

The important thing is that now whenever my son asks me "Why <enter thing parent says to do/not do here>" I can just look at him with that "Remember your bike?" look and not have to say anything. That, and now my son knows that I was right and - more importantly - he was wrong.

Oh, and if you see this guy anywhere, please call the cops:

Edited by ChuckHutchings

Sorry to hear that Chuck, Thats got to be the most bothersome feeling seeing that video of someone on your property.

Just curious, do you have any signs that say video monitoring is in place?

Mike - He had to walk right by a big white sign with red letters with the usual "Video" message. Based on his picture, though, I don't think English is his first langage.

Gary - He's either using the bike for his own transportation or it's on a boat right now on its way to Haiti.

Oddly, when I watch the video, I almost feel sorry for him and think he needs the bike more than my son does. At least he'll appreciate it and probably lock it to the fence under the bridge where he lives.

Agreed chuck I would say he prob DID need it worse then your son. That is one of the biggest changes for us moving here from ky to fl. In ky the only way you could tell someone was homeless was maybe they were dirty etc but most were walkers. Down here it seems the easiest way to pick out the homeless it to see who is riding a bike. I mean not everyone who is riding a bike is homeless but ALOT are. As far as speaking english do they do that down there where your at chuck??? Last I heard the United States ended around Ft Pierce. lol

What's strange is that when I see the video I'm torn between the emotions of "You dirty rotten *******!" towards the thief and telling my son "You see? THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS when you don't listen to me!"

I'm leaning towards the latter since at least there's a positive aspect to it. ;)

We used to feel sorry for our kids and try to find a way to replace what was lost stolen or broken. But when bad things started happening as a direct result of something they were warned about the pity pretty much stopped.

What's strange is that when I see the video I'm torn between the emotions of "You dirty rotten *******!" towards the thief and telling my son "You see? THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS when you don't listen to me!"

I'm leaning towards the latter since at least there's a positive aspect to it. ;)

Tell him it is a lesson of life. In life, there are some that think if you have too much, you should have it taken from you to give to those who don't.

Tell him this is what that is like. Only, except the thief was a real person and not the government.

(I am not naming parties, this is more about -isms than party affiliations).

Sorry about the poor attempt at humor, but as an optimist, I do try to make lessons from every evil deed.

Sorry about the bike too. I had one ripped from me when I was 11 years old. It still frosts me knowing that it happened.

Thats just wrong, one of my bikes got stolen a few months ago, and just the other day (last saturday) my dad and i were working on our pond and stream (which is now done) and we were doing some of the plumbing and it got dark so we went in for the night and came out in the morning and our hack saw was gone, that was the only tool we left out, and it wasnt near the street it was right in fromt of my house, you have to walk down through my yard to get to it. I know its off the bike topic, but it fits in with just stuff geting stolen,. Its just wrong.

-Will

Dale,

I had a bike stolen at about the same age. I always locked it and the one time I didn't...(I was late for swim practice.) :(

When I finally got a new one I never left it unlocked again.

I made sure my son saw the video. What really added to the impact was the timer/frame counter. I think seeing a guy show up out of frame one second and be riding off on his bike less than 10 seconds later had an effect that was more valuable than the bike was.

He was about due for a new bike anyway but he'll be walking wherever he wants to go from now until Christmas and he knows it's because of his (in)action.

Wow. My brother got his stolen...back when we did our paper route. His was on top...and it was taken first. That's amazing that you have it on camera....99% of people don't have that. Nice house security! Hope you find it soon and the guy gets penalized (if it's not in some random country by now!)

Another thing I like to add...

TLC or some other channel had a show on for a season or so where they hired a "professional" burglar to rob peoples' houses. They'd video the whole thing and get the reactions of the homeoweners when they saw how easy it was to rip them off.

One of the assumptions that show left you with was that it takes a while to steal something and that thieves won't strike when there's activity in the area.

NOT!

One of my neighbors drove RIGHT BY THE GUY as he was turning off the street into our driveway. (Remember, he was on foot.)

These people survive because nobody notices them. We are trained to look away from homeless people.

Well, I can tell you that you need to watch EVERYTHING that is going on around you.

I really should post the video on YouTube or something. Of course, that will end my previously unbeaten record of never having posted a YouTube video...:P

Decisions, decisions...

I really should post the video on YouTube or something. Of course, that will end my previously unbeaten record of never having posted a YouTube video...:P

Decisions, decisions...

You could have one of us post it on youtube for you so you can keep your record going

Guest Jeff_Womack

Another thing I like to add...

TLC or some other channel had a show on for a season or so where they hired a "professional" burglar to rob peoples' houses. They'd video the whole thing and get the reactions of the homeoweners when they saw how easy it was to rip them off.

One of the assumptions that show left you with was that it takes a while to steal something and that thieves won't strike when there's activity in the area.

NOT!

It's Discovery Channel and I love that show!

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/ittakesathief/ittakesathief.html

Most people on there are just plain STUPID! We aren't talking about BREAKING in to a house in many cases, we are talking about going through unlocked doors and windows!

Chuck ,I'm sorry to hear that your son had his bike taken . But he can't say that you didn't tell him to keep it put up . Its a hard lesson learned .:o

I once watched the TLC show "It Takes A Thief" and it was about a single mother and her daughter. The mother was not rich ,but well enough off that she had a nice sports car. The burglar went in and stole a bunch of stuff AND stole the sports car as well . Just as the thief was driving down the street ,the woman and the daughter passed him going in the opposite direction heading to their home. The thief drove by and waved .

The woman left the keys to the sports car hanging in the garage .

There is NOTHING safe any more . My aunt had people steal house plant's off of her front porch and they eventually started stealing the battery out of her car,so she got permission from the land lord to set in a vacant apartment.She bought a b b gun and filled it with rock salt and needless to say the guy that tried to steal her battery never did it again as he got a sore hinney :P.This was back in the 70's and she has since passed.

Well maybe he will learn a lessson from this i'm sure the same way we have all learned a thing or two from our parents and with the picture if you see him in the furure you can nab him Chuck the picture is very clear in day time what is it like at night can you tell me what type of camera you have and the lux number thank you Blair

Well maybe he will learn a lessson from this i'm sure the same way we have all learned a thing or two from our parents and with the picture if you see him in the furure you can nab him Chuck the picture is very clear in day time what is it like at night can you tell me what type of camera you have and the lux number thank you Blair

It's pretty clear at night at that range.

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QSC48030-Resolution-Weatherproof-Camera/dp/B000R4HDTU/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=413862901&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00069ECUY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1W35DJTRQMG30QZXHM66

Oddly, when I watch the video, I almost feel sorry for him and think he needs the bike more than my son does.

This is how I choose to look at things. Consider it a donation to a Homeless shelter.

Who knows maybe his wife was having a baby and he needed transportation to get her to the hospital.

Maybe he'll name the baby after you ,Senor Chuckles

We aren't talking about BREAKING in to a house in many cases, we are talking about going through unlocked doors and windows!

Locks only keep honest people honest.

Even on you show there ,when they guy can't find an easy access point he smashes a window. If someones got eye's on your house without a top knotch security system in place your easy pickins.

I have to say, even if the police can't find the guy, at least your security cameras give you an answer as to what happened. If this happened at my house, we'd spend hours going back and forth, "Are you sure you left it out front??" "You sure you didn't move it??"

Chuck, sorry to hear about the theft, but on the bright side it was something that can be easily replaced and nobody in your family was hurt!

As Chris said above - locks only keep honest people honest. I had a bike stolen out of a locked garage about 15 years ago:mad:. The thief broke a window in the garage door, reached in and unlocked the door (I never would have thought of that - this was before the more recent shows like it takes a thief). After the theft I removed all of the windows and replaced them with wooden panels like the rest of the garage door, which I think removed at least some of the temptation to break in. The real sad part was I told the police who I suspected stole the bike and they did nothing. A few months later I actually saw the same kid I suspected riding my bike -- it just wasn't worth the agrravation of reporting it again or risk retaliation from the kid who lived in the neighborhood (trash type family).

As far as "Because I said so....." you should never need to say that again, whenever you feel the urge, just show your son a picture of the guy riding away on his bike, your son will get the message -- a picture is worth a thousand words!;)

-- a picture is worth a thousand words!;)

A video is worth more.

Yes, I broke down and created a YouTube account and uploaded it.

I feel so dirty now. ;)

Anyway - one of the links below is the security cam footage of the bike being stolen. The other link is Gary Slater's "Cord Rolled". Try your luck and see if you can pick the right one! (To tell you the truth, I've already forgotten which one is which!) :P

Edited by ChuckHutchings