FM transmitter group buy on EDM LCD ends 10/31/08

The EDM LCD transmitter - group buy - Batch#10 has started.

This will be the final EDM LCD group buy of 2008.

Those on the waiting list have been notified.

PM me for the batch#10 sale link ASAP and I'll do my best to get it to you. I am on vacation right now, so that could be tricky for me to accomplish, but I will try.

EDM can close batch#10 anytime after the required 10 orders are received. They left open the possibility that more than 10 orders could be placed, so I encourage anyone looking for a great transmitter at a great price to consider this last group buy of the year from EDM.

EDM has assured me that folks placing orders now should receive their transmitters by Thanksgiving weekend, for their 2008 Christmas shows.

The transmitter is truly excellent, easy to assemble and comes with a 2 year warranty ... and features amazing quality, durability and sound.

Regards,

Scott

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a new DC power adapter and my EDM unit no longer shuts off after 5 minutes.

Even using the 100mW setting, I get a weak signal outdoors. I'm using the provided antenna. They give limited advice on placement and I'd appreciate any advice. I live on a hill and the signal is strongest uphill directly from the antenna's basement location. The signal below the house is weak.

I think you have a unique location that is causing these problems.

A basement is the worst location for a transmitter normally. Higher is better. Outside is better. Many put them in an attic, on the roof or on a fence. Some build a portable stand to mount it on.

I would suspect you will need to get the antenna outside, as high as possible ... certainly not in the basement for best range.

Feed the antenna with RG8 or better and refer to the ground plane antenna thats been floating around for a good and cheap antenna. Otherwise, the fm dx antenna company sells a good tunable antenna for around $55-60.

If you could take a picture of your setup and your location that would be helpful. Thanks.

Also, yout should probably join the EDM yahoo group and ask the experts there ... they will have advise for you!

Good luck,

Scott

rbar, let me clarify my previous comments.

I don't think that most people get the insurance ... but if they do, I don't have visibility to it personally, since the orders are placed with EDM directly and not through me per se.

When asked, I don't tell people to get the insurance because it seems like people are getting them reliably with or without it. Those folks that DO buy insurance will get a free replacement if anything unforeseen happens ion transit.

So, despite my own experience that the shipping has been reliable and fairly safe ... that doesn't mean adding insurance isn't wise ... it just means that the risk is low, but as a boyscout ... I understand the 'be prepared' motto is a good one to live by.

Let me know what your plans are re: the antenna and placement of your unit. At 100mW your range should be enourmous. I think you need to get the transmitter out of the basement if at all possible.

I highly reccomend using a 25' or 50' 1/8" (headphone) extension cord and then hooking up the transmitter to that. Then if you still need to run the antenna further, use RG8 (or better) cable to the antenna. Normally you need a 1/8 to dual-rca cable to hook up to 1/8 extension ... and often a F-conn to RCA adaptor for the connecting the antenna to the EDM.

If you ask on the EDM yahoo group --- I'm sure they can get your transmittsion issues resolved to your satisfaction.

Scott

Let me know what your plans are re: the antenna and placement of your unit. At 100mW your range should be enourmous. I think you need to get the transmitter out of the basement if at all possible.

I highly reccomend using a 25' or 50' 1/8" (headphone) extension cord and then hooking up the transmitter to that. Then if you still need to run the antenna further, use RG8 (or better) cable to the antenna. Normally you need a 1/8 to dual-rca cable to hook up to 1/8 extension ... and often a F-conn to RCA adaptor for the connecting the antenna to the EDM.

I know Scott has seen this info before and asked me to post my results. Here is my Antenna and Stand, I put it on the 100 mW setting for "TESTING". The antenna and EDM is in my attic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13562&stc=1&d=1224270148

attachment.php?attachmentid=13563&stc=1&d=1224270148

attachment.php?attachmentid=13564&stc=1&d=1224270148

attachment.php?attachmentid=13565&stc=1&d=1224270148

Green - GREAT {Sound's Like a REAL Station}

Yellow - GOOD {Some Static - Good quality - sounded like my Ramsey}

Blue - OK {GOOD Amount of Static increased noise but still could hear the music}

NOTE: The range isn't as exact as the image but get's you the idea - the open area are where it max trees and houses effect the signal DRAMATICALLY.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13566&stc=1&d=1224270153

Harrison

post-4651-129571072646_thumb.jpg

post-4651-129571072656_thumb.jpg

post-4651-129571072664_thumb.jpg

post-4651-129571072672_thumb.jpg

post-4651-129571072686_thumb.jpg

Thanks Harrison -- thats a great transmitter stand and antenna you have there. Also thanks for your excellent review and to TCL members alike.

Batch#10 is now closed.

We had over 10 orders ... thanks to all that participated! big_grin.gif

This has been a win win, IMHO for EDM and Christmas Lighting Enthusiasts.

Thanks to EDM for doing these 10 batches for us in 2008 -- well over 120 transmitters sold and over $2000 saved for members in 2008.

Thanks to Terrypowerz for suggesting this in the first place. wink.gif

Regards,

Scott / taybrynn

I moved the unit out of the basement and it is shows some of its potential. The manufacturer said that the test antenna would give me 200' range. Not yet. I got the 1/8 head phone extension but couldn't fit the jack adapters without taking the unite to my favorite local electronics store. I'll go tomorrow. I don't want to give up stereo.

Working with this is like trying to find the bad light in a string that's gone out.

I read so many success stories in various posts of people using the test antenna that I may have had false hopes.

I have already learned more about antennas that I ever wanted to know.

I can only tell you that for most folks, the antenna used and placement isn't much of an issue. When comparing the EDM and Ramsey -- EDM normally gets the same or more range using the same antenna.

I think because of your location (on a hill) ... the FM signal could be going out over the tops of the vehicles and down where you want to pick it up ... you get a nominal signal (or none).

You may want to ask Steve from Radio Brandy for some advise.

Scott

Fwiw, I need the signal to be received at the bottom of the hill. The drop is ~20 feet over a distance of 60 ~feet. I'll see if support has any suggestions. After reading about people putting the transmitter in their attic, I thought I'd reach the back street from the basement easily.

From what I understand, transmitting underground doesn't work very well at all.

You really need to get the correct cables attached before you can determine how well it is working. A cheap cable or incorrect cable could invalidate your tests ... so be sure to have that part straight first.

I think you have a very unique transmitter challenge based on your unique location and transmitter requirements. You probably need an antenna that projects its signal downward ... and then locate it possibly outside on a stand or post. I have posted a question on the EDM yahoo group ... and hopefully they can provide you some ideas and/or insights. Your problems are not typical.

Check out the tunable 1/4 wave antenna at the bottom of this page.

http://www.fmdxantenna.com/products.php?cat=7

Or construct an antenna and stand like what Harrison (hbomb) posted above. He has details on that on another board.

Batch#9 update:

Batch #9 buyers should start receiving units by the end of this week and be completed by Wed-Thur next week.

Batch#10 update:

Orders should ship out next week ... EDM has said they are running a little behind due to seasonal demand and slower international shipping. But they assured folks in batch#10 would get their before Thanksgiving weekend, worst case.

Edited by taybrynn

Scott,

I tried your idea of using the 1/8" headphone cord with rca adapters to extend the antenna to a variety of better places. It made no difference. The person at the electronics store who helped me find the rca adapters among aisle of stuff claimed plenty of radio experience and said that the test antenna should work fine for my small application. He thought running coax would be overkill.

The only reception I get is less than 1 car length in width on even ground with the transmitter; that's within 30 feet of the transmitter itself.

I'll have to go try the unit out on even ground at someone else's house. If it doesn't work there, I'll find out about sending it back. Remote support works best when you don't need it. :-)

rbar,

It sounds like maybe your transmitter has a serious problem.

I agree with the person at the store ... you should not need any additional antenna to get 1-2 blocks range. The range you are getting is not acceptable and not typical at all for the EDM in any way.

It is either that your audio source is somehow connected incorrectly or the transmitter is bad. The most typical application is attaching a laptop to the transmitter with a 1/8 to dual RCA cable.

What are you plugging the 1/8" cable into? A laptop headphone jack?

Have you tried plugging the transmitter into a sony walkman or portable FM radio (or ipod) instead? If those don't work any better, then it sounds like your transmitter will need to be returned. I can certainly empathize with the thought or returned the unit. EDM should take care of you ... you should contact them and ask for additional help and/or advice.

Do you have a member nearby you who could lend you their transmitter to try, just to make sure everything else is ok?

I think your idea of trying the transmitter somewhere else is a good idea. Do you have a picture of your location that you could email me? I'd like to see where you connect the audio to the computer and then a picture of your house from a distance.

Do you have a way of measuring the voltage from your new power supply? Did you double check the way the IC chip was installed onto the transmitter? Is the half moon pointing towards the LCD and away from the two tuning control buttons? When installed properly, you should not be able to see the half moon side of the IC chip, as that half of the IC will be under the LCD display.

Scott

I used RCA jacks from a dvd player directly to the EDM. The .wav file I really want to hear is on the PC. The dvd player is quite portable.

I haven't pulled of the level ground test as the weekend is quite full of non-transmitter activities.

Yes, yes, I have checked the IC with the picture.

I built 1 or 2 HeathKits; I can follow directions. :-)

I used RCA jacks from a dvd player directly to the EDM. The .wav file I really want to hear is on the PC. The dvd player is quite portable.

I haven't pulled of the level ground test as the weekend is quite full of non-transmitter activities.

Yes, yes, I have checked the IC with the picture.

I built 1 or 2 HeathKits; I can follow directions. :-)

Is the power adjustment pot set to maximum and the jumper in the 10mw position?

Are the levels coming from a DVD audio RCA-out compatible with the transmitter input ? I would at least try a radio output to make sure you don't have an input-level issue. I may try hooking up my DVD to the EDM tonight and see if the signal is decent. I'm just not sure the signal would compatible ... I think the level (from a CD or DVD RCA output) could be too-low without a preamp or mixer in between. I'm not inferring a lack of knowledge or skill on your part (rbar) ... just brain storing ideas that could help you, if in fact, the transmitter is fine.

EDM reported that someone who had a problem similar to mine needed to adjust something I had never touched. It made no worthwile differece. in the narrow range where the reception is good, it is fine. But it is too small an area to be of any use.

I have wasted too much precious time on this unit and am going to find out how to ship it back. If it were cheaper, I'd have already thrown it away.

On page 3 of the instructions I received, EDM states the following for the audio source material: "This should be line-level audio from a CD player, DVD, etc." Again, the signal is clear in a laughably small, useless range.

One or more other things may be wrong.

How long will it take to return and have EDM fix it or correct me?

I am thinking about adding a mime to my holiday display since I may not have sound.

rbar, I can sympathize with you completely. You need to contact EDM by email ASAP and find our what your options are.

Your anger and disdain is clear and present, but don't let it get the best of you.

Your unit is clearly not working properly. If your transmitter is broken, you will be taken care of and there is a process to help you. But you must not give up.

Updates on EDM group buys:

The first of batch #9 shipments started arriving with buyers on this past weekend. Should be completed by early next week.

Batch#10 has not arrived in the US yet. Those are at least two weeks out, but EDM knows that folks need them before thanksgiving weekend.

There will be no more group buys in 2008 ... sorry to anyone who missed out.mad.gif

However, you can still place orders on the regular EDM web site: big_grin.gif

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

The page is confusing, but here are the part#'s that I reccomend:

Part# EDM-TX-LCD-EP ($172 shipped) EDM LCD - flagship (the group buy model)

or

Part# EDM-TX-110EP ($126 shipped) EDM LED - 10/100 adjustable power model

or

Part# EDM-TX-10P ($102 shipped) EDM LED - 10mw fixed power model

Scott

rbar -- EDM has been waiting for you to send the transmitter to them for (stateside) repair. This also offered you a full refund if you would rather go that route. They are willing to help you.

Update on batch#9 -- all folks should have their by wed/thur next week.

Update on batch#10 -- batch#10 units should be out and delivered by November 12th.

Scott