Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ChuckHutchings

How long do inflatables usually last?

I have a Tigger Vampire that is 4 or 5 years old. I just got him out and he isn't looking too good. While I can't find any holes or leaks in any of the seams he's not standing upright.

Is there anything I can do or should I just haul him around to the alley now?

I have a Tigger Vampire that is 4 or 5 years old. I just got him out and he isn't looking too good. While I can't find any holes or leaks in any of the seams he's not standing upright.

Is there anything I can do or should I just haul him around to the alley now?

Is he zipped up in the back?

To answer your question, I have some that I have been using for 4 years (I keep them inflated 24/7 for about 30 days).

To stand him upright, tie him off to a stake and use that to hold up its head.

Is he zipped up in the back?

To answer your question, I have some that I have been using for 4 years (I keep them inflated 24/7 for about 30 days).

To stand him upright, tie him off to a stake and use that to hold up its head.

There is no zipper. And he's on our porch. Tough to drive a stake into tile/cement. ;)

Even if I hold him up he doesn't really hold his shape like he used to. The fan seems to be working OK but the fabric itself doesn't seem to be as airtight as it once was.

I have one of the original Gemmy inflatable snowmen from the first year they came out. He's still fine.

I have one of the "PC Santas" from 2005 that isn't doing as well. He leans over a bit more than I like.

Your tigger really doesn't have a zipper? How do you get in to change the lights? Is this not a Gemmy-branded one?

-Tim

Chuck,

I have at least three with the same problem. Zipper is closed, fan is working fine but they just won't stand up. That, plus the fact that the Texas sun fades them so badly in just three seasons, is the reason I no longer use inflatables. In addition, they are a prime target for vandals around here. They will slice the inflatables and leave everything else alone. I gave all mine, except for my grandson's nutcracker to my son for his display.

Marilyn

Check the amperage of the fan motor. You will be able to determine if it is running at peak performance or not.

(the reason I asked about the zipper was because when I would resell them on ebay, it would be the first complaint that I got - not inflating properly)

Chuck,

I have at least three with the same problem. Zipper is closed, fan is working fine but they just won't stand up. That, plus the fact that the Texas sun fades them so badly in just three seasons, is the reason I no longer use inflatables. In addition, they are a prime target for vandals around here. They will slice the inflatables and leave everything else alone. I gave all mine, except for my grandson's nutcracker to my son for his display.

Marilyn

Same here. He was outside the first 3 or so years and is quite faded. Last year I moved him to the porch.

I think this will be his last year. I'll see if the guy down the street wants him - if not, it's "Bue, bye, Tigger" and I shan't be pruchasing any more inflatables.

;)

How long do inflatables usually last?

Until you pop them my friend!

In all seriousness I use a dozen for Christmas, 4 for Halloween, 4 for Easter, and 2 for July fourth, and I've had the "weakening" effect as well.

One thing is that the fan is running and stretching the seams for many days on end. Each year that takes it's toll. If you take some clear nail polish and run it lightly down some of your seams, it will close some of that gap and make a tighter seal. I've done it, it works.

If not, very possible that it's simply giving up the ghost.

Ryan

I wonder if the Florida sun UV breaks down the properties of the fabric itself allowing air to leak out?

I'm just thinking out loud here,maybe you could try some water proofing spray they sell for boots or raincoats.

I'm thinking it might seal all the microscopic holes in the fabric.

I wonder if the Florida sun UV breaks down the properties of the fabric itself allowing air to leak out?

I'm just thinking out loud here,maybe you could try some water proofing spray they sell for boots or raincoats.

I'm thinking it might seal all the microscopic holes in the fabric.

That's a good idea. If it works, fine. If not - no loss. ;)

Check the amperage of the fan motor. You will be able to determine if it is running at peak performance or not.

(the reason I asked about the zipper was because when I would resell them on ebay, it would be the first complaint that I got - not inflating properly)

What should the amperage be?

Note: We're starting to get a little more involved than I care to be. It's not like this thing is a cherished family heirloom. I just wondered if there were some simple thing(s) I could do to get another year or two out of him. ;)

What should the amperage be?

I do not know. perhaps somebody on the forum could test their's and post. I had hoped you had another one that was working properly to see. I would test for you, but mine are the large ones.

If you have not cut the UL tag from the inflatable, it might be listed there.

I was thinking the same thing about the silcone spray ( waterproofing) to me the material is the same as a nylon tent, and they recomend waterproofing after a year or so of use.

Just a thought.

You know, I have heard from other inflatable people that the weatherproofing spray works well. I forgot about that until some of you mentioned it.

Amp draw on inflatables is listed as:

4 footer: 0.43

6 footer: 0.48

8 footer: 0.66

12 footer: 0.71

These are from the PC Power Table and I've measured mine; all are pretty darn close.

Ryan

I have 100's of inflatables and have some that are 6 years old.

I have lost two to fan failure...one my stuoidity and the other just died for no good reason. I have never had any problems with the fabric not holding up.

I do know that the tigger you have is one ofthe many inflatables that are top heavy and have never sttod up well.

Is he just not standing up right or is he limp and the fabric not taut?

I have heard the waterproofing works well...could be worth a try.

Maybe you just wore him out with the Fl sun...

I would suggest cecking him well for any holes or busted seams...try the water-proofing and if none of this help just string him up to add support.

another thing you can do is cut a piece of plywood or a pallet and anchor him to that and he can still sit on the porch...I know a few people that use this method.

Other than that just keep him goig as long as you can and if he dies I hope you got your money's worth out of him.

I purchased a really old bunny from ebay last summer and there were no holes but it still didn't inflate as tight as it should...

It turned out to be the plastic ring which holds the inflatable skin to the base. Make sure that is screwed tightly to the base to prevent air leakage :)

We have the first snowman gemmy made, and it works great! Sadly we had to throw out our penguin and 12ft santa last year, but bought new ones a few months ago, and will have this year, good luck.

I have a homer simpson inflatable that I bought 5 years ago and he is still running strong. I paid 40 for him and he is now retired..I have seen the originals like him that are used on the internet and they want 200 for the same inflatable!!! That is crazy!!! I am tempted to bring him in and keep him but what is the fun if you dont have it out?

Maybe you have a short in the wire?

I just got and old Grinch that is 4 or 5 years old and other than being dirty it works great.

As far as fabric guard goes. I use formula 303 fabric guard on all of my inflatables. It is water and UV resistant. I t works great and when it rains the water just sheds off the inflatable. My colors are not faded at all so far.

Here is where I buy it by the case http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult.html?catalog=autogeek&query=303+fabric+guard&x=47&y=11