Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Garrison

Newbie to PC

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered PC while doing a search for Christmas lights and I have to say I was completely floored by the information I discovered here. I have had an obsession with Christmas decorating for quite a while now and it just seems to grow a little more each year, especially with the arrival of my son three years ago. I try to add new pieces to my display every year while also mixing up the color scheme for the enjoyment of both myself and my neighbors. My display is made up mostly of mini incandescents with LED slowing making their way in as well. I always add one or two new animated creatures every year to make it fun.

I had seen a few TV shows displaying several individuals use of computers to animate their displays and thought how awesome it would be to do that. Until I discovered this site, I was totally unaware that their were companies out there that made software, FM transmitters and channel boxes for just this sort of thing. I really want to work my way up to animating my display as well but (after reading how much time it takes to get set-up) I'm afraid I might have to wait until next year in order to do so.

I just wanted to say that it's nice to know that there are people out there who love Christmas as much as I do. I thought I was the only one who started thinking about buying Christmas decorations in July in preparation of my display. It's good to be here!

Garrison

Greetings Garrison,

Welcome to the PC community. It's nice to here from someone in NM that has the same obsession, I mean hobby!!!

Hahah

I can hardly think of a decorating subject that someone one PC is not an expert on. Plenty of info and encouragment to keep you going all year long.

Again welcome.

Now I have to get back to painting my new Nativity

Hi Garrison. As you can see there is a lot of information on PC. Last year was my first year with lights to music. There is still time to put together a display, just start out small. Have fun!!

Thanks for the warm welcome Terri and Larry!

By the way Larry I just wanted to let you know that I tried to view your Web site using Firefox and wasn't able to click on any of your links in your left hand menu. However, I opened up the site in Internet Explorer and it worked just fine. Even though IE is the dominant browser on the net I thought you might want to take a look at it.

Garrison - welcome to PC. This is my first year as well, and you are correct with the amount of planning. I started planning in January, but as mentioned you still have time if you start small.

By the way - do you know any Thiel's in the Albuquerque area?

Thanks Hobbygrower, Mike and Shawn!

Hobbygrower, as a fellow Newbie how long would you estimate it would take to take on as you say a "small" project?

Mike, I like your display!

Shawn, you totally have a head start on me. And it looks like you have a few helpers as well. My son's a little too small to help me with the big things, but he does like to try. Unfortunately I do not know any Thiel's in Albuquerque. Do you have family here?

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered PC while doing a search for Christmas lights and I have to say I was completely floored by the information I discovered here. I have had an obsession with Christmas decorating for quite a while now and it just seems to grow a little more each year, especially with the arrival of my son three years ago. I try to add new pieces to my display every year while also mixing up the color scheme for the enjoyment of both myself and my neighbors. My display is made up mostly of mini incandescents with LED slowing making their way in as well. I always add one or two new animated creatures every year to make it fun.

I had seen a few TV shows displaying several individuals use of computers to animate their displays and thought how awesome it would be to do that. Until I discovered this site, I was totally unaware that their were companies out there that made software, FM transmitters and channel boxes for just this sort of thing. I really want to work my way up to animating my display as well but (after reading how much time it takes to get set-up) I'm afraid I might have to wait until next year in order to do so.

I just wanted to say that it's nice to know that there are people out there who love Christmas as much as I do. I thought I was the only one who started thinking about buying Christmas decorations in July in preparation of my display. It's good to be here!

Garrison

You may just find some (or all) of the people you saw on those shows right here at PlanetChristmas. In fact, the "Yoda" of animation is non other than our own Chuck Smith, founder of PlanetChristmas.

Unfortunately I do not know any Thiel's in Albuquerque. Do you have family here?

Yes I have an uncle in Albuquerque - he retired from the PD then moved to Florida for about 12 years - retired from the Martin County Sherrif's then moved back to Albuquerque. I do have some cousins still around there as well.

Yes my son, who is 10, does like to help out. But my daughter - who is only 7 - wants to be the one up on the roof helping with the lights :eek: - go figure.

Hello Everyone,

Garrison

Welcome to PC

My wife and I love New Mexico and have a High School friend that lives just east of Albuquerque in the mountains.

What part of town do you live?

Hello all

I've been reading and gaining knowledge for about a year and this year I bought a 16 channel LOR. I can't believe I waited all this time to start this hobby. This is totally awesome.

I'm done with the programming and I'm just waiting for installation day..

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to host it live on the internet so the relatives on the east coast can view it other than youtube which isn't live but that's one way of doing it..

I'm sure I'll find something but asking first might save me some time..

Thanks

Bob

Mike, I like your display!

Thank you! I got my controllers in october my first year, Id say you have plenty of time to put something nice together. It all depends on how much time and $ you can put into it. I spent about $1500 on everything and about a month of evening programming my first year. You can even save some time if you need and get a few pre made sequences, If theres any of mine you like just let me know ,Ill send you the file(if you choose Http://www.lightorama.com ), there are many more out there to download as well. :)

Edited by Mike Sigmond
typo

Welcome to PC

My wife and I love New Mexico and have a High School friend that lives just east of Albuquerque in the mountains.

What part of town do you live?

I live on the Westside near Rio Rancho.

Yes I have an uncle in Albuquerque - he retired from the PD then moved to Florida for about 12 years - retired from the Martin County Sherrif's then moved back to Albuquerque. I do have some cousins still around there as well.

Yes my son, who is 10, does like to help out. But my daughter - who is only 7 - wants to be the one up on the roof helping with the lights :eek: - go figure.

Thankfully my kid hasn't asked to go up the ladder quite yet! :)

You can even save some time if you need and get a few pre made sequences, If theres any of mine you like just let me know ,Ill send you the file(if you choose Http://www.lightorama.com ), there are many more out there to download as well. :)

Hey Mike can you use songs downloaded from iTunes? Or would that cause problems since they are protected audio files?

I could have seen your house on my last visit to the Indian Petroglyph State Park.

You might have, well at least my neighborhood anyway. I live very close to the Petroglyph's.

Hey Mike can you use songs downloaded from iTunes? Or would that cause problems since they are protected audio files?

I dont think that would work, I just buy the track I want from Napster, etc.. $.99 is a good deal for me to get one song. Its best to use the MP3 that a song was sequenced with because it keeps the timing perfect.

Its best to use the MP3 that a song was sequenced with because it keeps the timing perfect.

Can you clarify this for me? Are you referring to pre-made sequences?

It's not a problem to purchase songs from Napster, I just wanted to know if I'd be able to use some of the songs I already have.

Can you clarify this for me? Are you referring to pre-made sequences?

It's not a problem to purchase songs from Napster, I just wanted to know if I'd be able to use some of the songs I already have.

Its just some Mp3's are recorded with different start times and compression, this tweaks the song a little so that the timings dont line up, you cant hear the difference but you can see it. Or just ask where the source MP'3 came from from the person that made the sequence Napster, Album, etc.. it just saves a headache of re aligining the whole song.

Welcome Garrison!

I look forward to seeing what you do with your display this year and next as you take on learning to Animate your lights to music. You will find a lot of very helpful people here. :-)

Have a great day!

KK