Adding temporary Power Pole Question

I have been hitting so many snags this year and finally thought it was full steam ahead until today when I was figuring out the power.

At my new location (Parents House) There is a huge power box but is 480v and then goes onto their property into a power house that is a good 400 feet away which hits a few transformers that converts it to 220. There is a small transformer by the 480v box that goes into a circuit breaker but the transformer is only rated for 65amps/220v (giving me about 110 amps that I can use at 110v). The only way to add more power is to add another transformer box, disconnect switch ($600 just for this!), and circuit breaker.

Total cost? $1700 plus I have to install all the GFI outlets which will put the total cost at $2000 or so.

I need at least 200 amps usable power at 110v for what I was planning but I can't justify spending $2k for power when there is a good chance that it will only be at this location for this season.

My only other option I was thinking about was to have the power company install a temporary power pole at my location.

Tried using the search because I have read about people doing this but can't find any useful information.

If anybody has had a temporary power pole put on their property, please let me know the details. I kind of want to know how they do, what does it cost, how much power do they give you, how you hooked into it, etc, etc.

Right now it looks like the light show will not happen unless I can find a cheaper solution.

Thanks.

-Richard

I think the Temp meter may be the best option. Or lets all send Richard a dollar.

Or another approach, if you are planning on the Media being there, maybe have a equiptment rental place sponser you and get a discounted or free generator to use.

Edited by Mike Sigmond
Daa, I asked something he already explained

I think the Temp meter may be the best option. Or lets all send Richard a dollar.

Or another approach, if you are planning on the Media being there, maybe have a equiptment rental place sponser you and get a discounted or free generator to use.

Deisel generator is the answer if your only going to do one year. Call the rental places, tell them you need it for a month and will use it 4 hours a day (or whatever) around here they don't do much construction in the winter so they will let them rent pretty cheap.

You can get 25,000 to 30,000 watts in a sullair tow behind.

You may also want to contact a local power rental house. Here in CA we have a company that will rent transformers and disconnects.

Otherwise - get a gennie - the ones from local construction rentals are good, but you will need many. If you get one from an entertainment power rental company, you can gey just one (it'll usually be 3-phase)

Another idea. Do you have neighbors nearby. You could suggest they go out of town for a month and offer to watch their house for them, then run extension cords over.

I have an apartment complex next door. I have seriously thought about renting the corner basement apartment if it is available November and December and just run cords our the window. I could do most of it with 50' ers

Hi Richard.

I used to work around contractors on new dwellings for Low voltage stuff, But I think this is what you are looking for?? Maybe you can find a builder in your area and ask to use one of his Temporary power setups for that period of time?? With housing builds being down, Temp poles setups should be plentyful...

http://www.rockymountainpower.net/File/File57245.pdf

Then you can add a setup like i am using...I have about $350 in this. and gives me 6 20 amp GFCI plugs per box... in your case maybe 2 or 3 of them...

Edited by mnkyboy

If you find the right place they will even top off the fuel every few days.

Deisel generator is the answer if your only going to do one year. Call the rental places, tell them you need it for a month and will use it 4 hours a day (or whatever) around here they don't do much construction in the winter so they will let them rent pretty cheap.

You can get 25,000 to 30,000 watts in a sullair tow behind.

Richard,

I did residential construction until, well you know... Around here I would call my electrical sub and he would come out, mount a post or small pole depending on weather it was overhead or underground and the post would have a meter base and a panel. I would call the power company and they would have the meter and do the connection. Temp pole as about $200 and the power company was about $150. They you pay by the month. The small panel they mounted was only about 50 amps but I'm sure they had other panels and sometimes they supply spider boxes coming off the panel.

You really need 200 amps? I thought you used a fair amount of LED's?

show some pictures of this pole!!

but i am adding some new power to

this is what a construction site temp pole should look like. I have seen these used for christmas tree lots... so the must be available as a rental...

Richard,

I did residential construction until, well you know... Around here I would call my electrical sub and he would come out, mount a post or small pole depending on weather it was overhead or underground and the post would have a meter base and a panel. I would call the power company and they would have the meter and do the connection. Temp pole as about $200 and the power company was about $150. They you pay by the month. The small panel they mounted was only about 50 amps but I'm sure they had other panels and sometimes they supply spider boxes coming off the panel.

You really need 200 amps? I thought you used a fair amount of LED's?

That is what my setup is a construction spiderbox...found it all on ebay..

If you are interested in going the generator route, you might want to contact a rental shop that caters to the film industry. They have generators that are equipped with "crystal sync" which regulates the output frequency for running equipment that is sensitive to frequency like HMI lighting that will flicker if it does not receive a clean waveform. It is very possible that these clean output generators would work with LOR but I am not certain. If you could work out a deal for a cheap rental price as was previously suggested, this might be an option. You would have to check to see if the sync circuit is clean enough for LOR but it is definitely worth a shot if no other options work out. These generators also have the advantage of being "blimped" to deaden the sound output the unit makes.

I think KFC should sponsor him, pay for the generator ... and get loads of free advertising out of it for the entire month.

I also think that if everyone that got something useful from Richard in the last year donated $1 to $5 via. check ... he'd have the $2000 very quickly.

One more idea, he auctions off a sponsorship for his show on ebay ... the winning bidder pays for the power conversion (or generator rental) and gets a lighted sign with their names in lights for the 2008 show.

Last idea -- we need to get Richard on Opera somehow ... I bet she'd set him up for Christmas!

No LEDs for me yet.

It looks like the Temp Power Pole is not gong to work because there is not a hook up on the property.

Ok here is my other Idea and tell me what you guys think. There is plenty of power (400 amps at 220) at the power house that is about 230 feet away. So I was thinking of running AWG 2 size wiring to a circuit breaker box which should give me about 100 amps (200 amps at 110) and this will solve all my problems.

Running 230 feet of AWG 2 is not cheap though. Outdoor 2 AWG cable is VERY expensive which would be about $1700 for 250 feet.

I can though get the indoor 2/0-2/0-2/0-1 for about $330 for 230 feet. I was then thinking of buying 1.5" watertight PVC conduit which would only be about $90 for 230 feet to protect the "indoor" wiring. This way it would only cost $420 compared to $1700.

What do you guys think?

Edited by RichardH
Because I can

I've never worked anywhere near those conductor sizes, but I thought most cable anymore was rated indoor/outdoor (dual THNN/THWN rating). Definitely out of my area of expertise though.

I don't think you want to try to bury indoor wire outdoors -- too much risk of the conduit leaking (including developing cracks).

Back to the temp pole -- when you say "there's no hookup on the property" what do you mean? The whole point of a temp pole is to provide power in an area where there is none... As long as there's an overhead line or underground box (e.g. green transformer box) reasonably close they should be able to tap off of that and provide you a temp pole. Have you called the power company to see what your options are?

Good luck,

-Tim

I've never worked anywhere near those conductor sizes, but I thought most cable anymore was rated indoor/outdoor (dual THNN/THWN rating). Definitely out of my area of expertise though.

I don't think you want to try to bury indoor wire outdoors -- too much risk of the conduit leaking (including developing cracks).

This is not a permanent solution and I will only have it hooked up for Christmas and then remove it. I will not be burying the wire but it will just be on the ground and will end up being under some snow. To protect it, I thought about using the "Water Tight" (at least that what it says on the side of it) PVC conduit which will still be on top of the ground.

I used 2 AWG wire to install my subpanel box at my house but that was only a few feet away. This would pretty much be the same thing but it will be 230 feet away.

Back to the temp pole -- when you say "there's no hookup on the property" what do you mean? The whole point of a temp pole is to provide power in an area where there is none... As long as there's an overhead line or underground box (e.g. green transformer box) reasonably close they should be able to tap off of that and provide you a temp pole. Have you called the power company to see what your options are?

Good luck,

-Tim

When my Dad built this house he paid extra to have a transformer that steps down to just 480v instead of the normal 220v because of a waterfall he had installed. He then had his own transformers installed in a power house (which is 230 feet away from the display). So the problem is that there is a power box right in the smack of the middle of the display, but it is 480v instead of the normal 220v. The power company can't just hook up to our Temp Pole because there is not a 220V hook up from them on our property. There is an adjacent empty lot that has a normal 220 hook up but it is over 100 feet a way from our property line and all temp power hookups have to be within 25 feet of the power companies hookup.

We do have a small transformer by the 480v hookup in the display but it will only give us 60 amps (making it about 120amps at 110v) and it is going to be like $2000 to have another transformer installed to give us another 60amps.

Here is a picture of the "indoor" wiring I was thinking of using. Most outdoor wire though is meant to be used just exposed. I think it would be safe to use this in PVC conduit since it would not be exposed to the outside elements.

post-2452-129571067984_thumb.jpg

I have seen this done before, find a roll of large diameter plastic sprinkler pipe (big enough for your wire) and use that instead of conduit sections. That way your 230' is one solid piece so the only joints your have in the entire line would be on the ends where its goes into the boxes. You can make sure those ends are waterproof or out of the elements.

Edit: if your going to place it on top of the ground, you are going to have to stake it down to keep it straight, its going to want to naturally roll back up.

Edited by ChrisL1976

Richard,

Is the conduit you were planning on using the flexible "rain tight" conduit or rigid? You would fair better with the rigid since you will have a much easier time pulling your wire through it.

I would just check with your local building (inspections) dept. I have had to do some simular setups in my line of work to get temp power to equipment with zero problems.

No LEDs for me yet.

It looks like the Temp Power Pole is not gong to work because there is not a hook up on the property.

Ok here is my other Idea and tell me what you guys think. There is plenty of power (400 amps at 220) at the power house that is about 230 feet away. So I was thinking of running AWG 2 size wiring to a circuit breaker box which should give me about 100 amps (200 amps at 110) and this will solve all my problems.

Running 230 feet of AWG 2 is not cheap though. Outdoor 2 AWG cable is VERY expensive which would be about $1700 for 250 feet.

I can though get the indoor 2/0-2/0-2/0-1 for about $330 for 230 feet. I was then thinking of buying 1.5" watertight PVC conduit which would only be about $90 for 230 feet to protect the "indoor" wiring. This way it would only cost $420 compared to $1700.

What do you guys think?

You can also rent big guage cords too. Like the ones you see all over fairgrounds. They are usually single conductor welding type cable and dont require conduit, so you would need 3 plus a ground.

Just a thought:)

Get ahold of a special event rental house. You are looking for banded (5 wire 2/0) it will have color coded cam-lok connections. You will also need cam to lug adapters to tie in to your power house. They may also have a 480v transformers to rent. More than likely the transformer will bump the voltage to 208v 3-phase ( 3 legs of 120v 120* out of phase). They more than likely will also have disconnects and 3p spider boxes.

I don't know about PVC in the freezing weather, but it seems like it would work well. I think the poly tubing is better in the cold, but you will fill a much larger % of the pipe and probably is a more blatent code violation, then using 2" PVC would.

I think you might want 2" PVC if you went that route, since the wires can heat up under heavy use and 2" would be better and only 20% more.

You could also enclusre the 2" PVC in a 4" polu sleeve, you know, the kind used for drainage situations.

We need an electricians comments.