Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
CUTTHEMUSIC

Circuit to control LED

I have a plastic Moravian Star, I want to replace the single incadescent bulb and with 12 Red, 12 Green and 12 Blue LEDs. I want to be able to control each color with a channel of my LOR board. I plan on using either T1 or T1-3/4 LEDs. Purchasing a LOR DC board is out of the question becuase I am already over budget. Does anyone have a schematic that I can use to accomplish this???

With only 12 LEDs you will need an external 120V rectifier for each set. Connect all 12 LEDs in series (remember to keep the polarity consistent). Add a ~5000 ohm resistor in series with the LEDs. Connect the LEDs+resistor to the DC pins of the rectifier (make sure you get the polarity correct). Connect the AC pins of the rectifier to the 120 VAC power supply.

With only 12 LEDs you will need an external 120V rectifier for each set. Connect all 12 LEDs in series (remember to keep the polarity consistent). Add a ~5000 ohm resistor in series with the LEDs. Connect the LEDs+resistor to the DC pins of the rectifier (make sure you get the polarity correct). Connect the AC pins of the rectifier to the 120 VAC power supply.

Interesting... I figured the resistor would need to be a different value for the different colors since the forward voltages would be different...

since you didn't mention it, I am assuming a 1/4 watt resistor is fine?

I would have assumed one would need the specs for the particular LED's to call out values...

???

Interesting... I figured the resistor would need to be a different value for the different colors since the forward voltages would be different...

since you didn't mention it, I am assuming a 1/4 watt resistor is fine?

I would have assumed one would need the specs for the particular LED's to call out values...

???

Yes, knowing the forward voltage drop would be ideal, but with only 12 diodes most of the voltage will be dropped through the resistor anyways. 5000 ohms is just a safe value that will work for all of them. If you assume a 2.0 V drop for the reds, then there needs to be 96 V across the resistor. 96 V / 5000 ohm = 19 mA. If the blues are dropping 3.5 V each, then there needs to be 78 V across the resistor. 78 V / 5000 ohm = 16 mA. Real values are likely somewhere in the middle.

I should have said something about the resistor power rating though - 20 mA at 100 V drop across the resistor is 2 W, so an appropriately rated power resistor (possibly needing a heat sink) is required. One could also use multiple 1/4 watt resistors - 10, 500 ohm in series or 10, 50 kohm in parallel would do the trick.

I did this. I built my own custom LED lighting parts for my trolley I made this year. I also wanted a way of controlling LED's without using the LOR DC board, although that is the easiest. I found this...

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/VM120

...it has 10 different lighting effects. On that website there is the assembled one (link) and there is also one you can assemble by yourself (cheaper). The chaser works great. You can see the effect I have on my trolley on my site, towards the bottom of this page...

http://www.freewebs.com/manorchristmas/currentprojects.htm